Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • The Latest Filibustering Disgrace.
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member
    bigjim

Hopefully they’ll clamp down on it. Who voted for these scum?

br
    Free Member

Sounds a great idea, but did anyone actually think how it would work in practice?

At a simple level, which subject do you want to drop to fit it in? How will it be taught, or where are all the teachers qualified in FA coming from?

etc, etc

anagallis_arvensis

Bunch of **** and they say the house of lords acted in an undemocratic manner

br
    Free Member

Who voted for these scum?

Lots of you.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds a great idea, but did anyone actually think how it would work in practice?

Well they could discuss it like adults rather than sticking their fingers in their ears while saying “la la la not listening”

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I thought filibustering was just an American thing

What a bunch of knob-ends, they don’t care about people in any way, just their own fevered agenda

on a lighter note, filibustering done right

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUrw7j0UA4[/video]

lemonysam
    Free Member

I think filibustering’s fine but they should have to speak ever faster in an Alphabet Aerobics style.

jimdubleyou

Mrs Dubleyou was going to teach this next year, but the school have dropped it from the curriculum.

All of the PE teachers are qualified to teach it and it was going to be a couple of lessons each.

jimmy

The Scando’s have, but they’ve done everything better.

langylad
    Free Member

This was one of the things I used to enjoy doing at schools as part of our ‘neighbourhood policing’, as well as the upsides and downsides of drugs. We haven’t done this for a few years now 😥

anagallis_arvensis

[Quote]Sounds a great idea, but did anyone actually think how it would work in practice?[/quote]

Some teachers would teach first aid? If I can do sex ed anything is possible.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think filibustering’s fine but they should have to speak ever faster in an Alphabet Aerobics style.

Chemical Calisthenics once they master the above.

First Aid is pretty simple stuff, for the sake of a few hours why shouldn’t it be getting taught? its not like there are plenty of people already qualified to teach it. Even out of date stuff is better than nothing at all.

Get Mines Rescue in to do it, they’re always a good laugh…

MoreCashThanDash

That is a shocking abuse of parliamentary power.

It needs more publicity so that people can see what shite some of our elected representatives get up to.

If I did TwitFace I’d be posting it…..

phead
    Free Member

Its friday, you filibuster bills because there is no-one there to vote on them, end of story.

sharkbait
    Free Member

That is a shocking abuse of parliamentary power.

Filibustering is nothing new, been going on in parliament for over 150 years and ALL parties use it.

aracer
    Free Member

What a ****. A thick **** who can’t remember things by his own admission.

Northwind

Anyone know how common talking out is? I had a wee googly just now and couldn’t find any useful information. It’s certainly been in the public eye a lot recently. It’s a pretty despicable tactic regardless of who does it.

Davies is a bit too scumbaggy about it- after he talked out the bill to scrap hospital parking charges for carers, he claimed he was speaking up for carers, frexample. There’s playing the parliamentary game and then there’s taking the piss, I reckon that one crossed the line.

ads678

At a simple level, which subject do you want to drop to fit it in?

How about RE, that’s a pointless subject.

chiefgrooveguru

**** appalling.

Shackleton

What a morally reprehensible shit. How on earth can he justify that?

Northwind

Shackleton – Member

What a morally reprehensible shit. How on earth can he justify that?

“When I first got elected to Parliament my mentor was Eric Forth [the former Tory MP] and he really was the past master of talking out bills on a Friday,” he said. He did it for fun and he was brilliant at it. After he died I vowed I would do the same kind of work.”

Noble inspiration indeed. Do it for the LOLZ.

lemonysam
    Free Member

As pointed out above this is a completely standard part of parliamentary life. It’s also embarassing, childish and would get you a kick up the arse in almost any other walk of life. I’ve always liked the story of how they were ended in the House of Representatives over the atlantic:

In particular, Reed sought to circumscribe the ability of the minority party to block business by way of its members refusing to answer a quorum call—which, under the rules, prevented a member from being counted as present even if they were physically in the chamber—thus forcing the House to suspend business. This is popularly called the disappearing quorum.

Reed’s solution was enacted on January 28, 1890, in what has popularly been called the “Battle of the Reed Rules”.[4] This came about when Democrats attempted to block the inclusion of a newly elected Republican from West Virginia, Charles Brooks Smith.[5] The motion to seat him passed by a tally of 162–1; however, at the time a quorum consisted of 165 votes, and when voting closed Democrats shouted “No quorum,” triggering a formal House quorum count. Speaker Reed began the roll call; when members who were present in the chamber refused to answer, Reed directed the Clerk to count them as present anyway.[6] Startled Democrats protested heatedly, issuing screams, threats, and insults at the Speaker. James B. McCreary, a Democrat from Kentucky, challenged Reed’s authority to count him as present; Reed replied, “The Chair is making a statement of fact that the gentleman from Kentucky is present. Does he deny it?”[6]

Portrait of Speaker Reed by John Singer Sargent, Collection of the U.S. House of Representatives
    Unable to deny their presence in the chamber, Democrats then tried to flee the chamber or hide under their desks, but Reed ordered the doors locked. (Texas Representative “Buck” Kilgore was able to flee by kicking his way through a door.)[7] Trapped, the Democrats tried to hide under their desks and chairs; Reed marked them present anyway.

The conflict over parliamentary procedure lasted three days, with Democrats delaying consideration of the bill by introducing points of order to challenge the maneuver, then appealing the Reed’s rulings to the floor. Democrats finally dropped their objections on January 31, and Smith was seated on February 3 by a vote of 166–0. Six days later, with Smith seated, Reed won a vote on his new “Reed Rules,” eliminating the disappearing quorum and lowering the quorum to 100 members. Though Democrats reinstated the disappearing quorum when they took control of the House the following year, Reed as minority leader proved so adroit at using the tactic against them that Democrats reinstated Reed Rules in 1894.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Brackett_Reed#As_the_Speaker_of_the_House

boriselbrus
    Free Member

This is pathetic and I’ve emailed him asking him to justify it. You can teach opening an airway in a few minutes. This would save lives. I’ve witnessed this twice now once to a fellow MTBer who posts on here. He crashed and wasn’t breathing. Another of our group opened his airway and he is alive now. It’s such a simple thing to do.

You could spend a couple of hours teaching airways, control of bleeding and treatment of burns and refresh it each year. It would make a difference, cost nothing, and this pillock has blocked it.

chiefgrooveguru

I was about to start a petition against this but I see there is already one! Sign up everybody:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111441

(I should add I do somewhat like the ridiculous history behind the filibuster and the speeches that have resulted – but it’s really not the right way to run the country, politics shouldn’t be a parlour game…)

br
    Free Member

(I should add I do somewhat like the ridiculous history behind the filibuster and the speeches that have resulted – but it’s really not the right way to run the country, politics shouldn’t be a parlour game…)

But sometimes it works and ensures a ‘bad’ bill doesn’t get into law:

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/07/01/texas-lawmaker-acclaimed-for-filibuster-now-famous-for-hypocrisy-78970/comment-page-2

athgray
    Free Member

b r – Member

At a simple level, which subject do you want to drop to fit it in? How will it be taught, or where are all the teachers qualified in FA coming from?

I guess we will never know. Perhaps we need a debate on it. Oh hang on a minute.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Philip Davies is my MP. I didn’t vote for him but enough idiots did 🙁

Don’t suppose i can ever expect the **** to do anything for his constituents

Shackleton

Amusing then that his slogan is “Your interests, not self-interest”. Well OK, not all that amusing given what he does.

I’ve emailed him and asked my MP to give him a going over in the bogs (SNP MPs have to be useful for something 😉 ). For some reason this kind of thing pisses me off more than whatever Gove/Hunt/Osbourne/May are up to. At least you know that they are actively evil/stupid/ideologically blinded whereas Davies is just dicking about playing at king of bugger all.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I emailed him last night asking for his reasons and got a reply from him at 23.25.

In summary:

The reasons are in my speech – I suggest you get a copy of it and read it.

It’s labours fault as they shortened the time for the debate by 75 minutes (from 5 hours).

It’s every other MP’s fault as apparently if more than 100 turn up then the bill automatically passes to the next stage. There were fewer than 100 so it’s not my fault.

I was just following parliamentary procedures. So it’s not my fault.

They’re all cretins aren’t they 🙄

outofbreath
    Free Member

How would you ban filibustering? Limit individual MPs talk time?

bencooper
    Free Member

How would you ban filibustering? Limit individual MPs talk time?

Getting the speaker to grow a pair and tell them to stop f***ing about would be a good start.

crankboy
    Free Member

How would you ban filibustering ?
    Dead easy speaker actively listens to speeches and cuts off repetition of points already made irrelevence and waffle , and calls an end when the speaker has exhausted his actual points . This happens all the time in courts .

bruneep

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What an outdated, antiquated joke of a place Westminster is.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ah, wanmankylungs bi-weekly “Tory outrage” thread…

‘Government kills opposition party private members bill shock-horror’ the ‘dear santa’ letter of the junior MP seeking to make a name for themselves. It’s what governments do, pretty simple really, labour have killed just as many well meaning bills as anyone during their time in power.

It’s a harsh lesson in political reality this one – if you want to change the law, you need to go out and win an election, then you get to become the government and Set the legislative agenda – now, I know you £3 Corbynites all wish that it could be different, because you’re still in shock at ending up with a Tory government when you all thought that Miliband was a shoe in to lead the next stage of the great leap forwards… But you maybe ought to take this filibuster as a wake up call as to why your party previously elected a slick, charismatic ‘pretty straight sort of guy’ as its leader a few years ago instead of pleasant but bumbling utopian. To win elections rather than play sixth form token politics…

bails

Eh, what’s this got to do with elections? This wasn’t a Labour idea being voted out, it was a smug prat thinking he’s really clever by talking rubbish to deliberately run down the clock so it won’t ever get to a vote.

If it had been debated, he’d put his arguments across and then it got rejected in a vote then fair enough.

chiefgrooveguru

If it had been debated, he’d put his arguments across and then it got rejected in a vote then fair enough.

Exactly. This behaviour would not be acceptable in any other form of life than on a panel show! If you did it in the pub someone would end up punching you!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ninfan where do you stand in general on private members bills then?

chiefgrooveguru

Ninfan, I know for a fact that people who voted for this government are furious about the recent filibustering behaviour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘The Latest Filibustering Disgrace.’ is closed to new replies.