Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • The last minutes of The Ashes. Who's staying up?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I am, it’ll be done by 12 anyway.

Stoner
    Free Member

I will.

For once, fortuitously, I had to be up at 5 this morning for an early train so got the whole of the back end of TMS on the phone on the way to town.

EDIT _ Im quite pleased the ol’ thread’s gone south.

I confidently predicted that by close England would be all out for 550 and Oz on 260-6.

Or, 313 runs and 9 wickets in the day.

As it happens there were 644-497+171= 318 runs and 10 wickets in the day, so I was pretty much spot on. I just got it wrong who got which runs 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Hopefully it shouldn’t be too late a night – I’ll stay up till lunch though if necessary. With luck we’ll do it again, but right now this is the first time I’ve ever had the opportunity to choose to stay up to listen to England beat Australia in Australia.

theotherjonv

Oh yes. With a pint of british beer in my hand – Asda’s very good Whitechapel Porter (brewed by Shepherd Neame)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I will check on this thread for updates the single malt is going down well tonight.

postierich
    Free Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Jumping on the cricket bandwagon cannot wait for the open top bus around London 🙄

Hairychested
    Free Member

Watson run out Pietersen 38
    Hughes c Prior b Bresnan 13
    Khawaja c Prior b Anderson 21
    Clarke c Prior b Anderson 41
    Hussey c Pietersen b Bresnan 12
    Haddin c Prior b Tremlett 30
    Smith not out 24
    Johnson b Tremlett 0
    Siddle not out 17
    Extras 1nb 1w 11b 4lb 17

Scamper
    Free Member

I’m surprised how its messed my sleep up. Not just staying up late and/or getting up early, but restless dreaming about what the score is and waking up all the time to check the score. Still, a change to worrying about Gloucester’s away form in my sleep.

aracer
    Free Member

My stats on the end of the last thread (updated):

The 4th time ever that a team has scored over 500 in an innings in 4 matches of a series, and the first against any opponent other than West Indies (Aus twice, SA once).

The highest average per wicket EVER by England in an Ashes series.

I’d been trying to research this one, but not got there, though they’ve just mentioned it on TMS – assuming they win by an innings here England will be the first team EVER to inflict 3 innings defeats in a series on Australia (and only the 3rd team to manage that against any opposition).

johnikgriff
    Free Member

yes, but hoping for quick wickets, need bed

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve followed cricket for many years – I presume I’m not the only one for whom this is the first time I’ve actually stayed up to follow matches down under though.

TMS have just determined that they wouldn’t have a single Australian in a composite team – oh how the worm has turned 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

What are the odds on England doing it in the first over? That’d teach the convicts 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

Last late night of an absolutely magnificent series for us.

Still can’t quite believe it…

Man of the series?

Gotta be Cook I guess but Jimmy must come close.

Stoner
    Free Member

I rather like siddle. In spite of everything, rather than because of it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what scamper said love TNS heard the last one but yes keep waking up or random moments did catch all of Collingwoods last innings though

Hairychested
    Free Member

Here is Aggers’ composite team from both sides, which he’s going to read out on Aussie radio: Cook, Strauss, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood (getting in ahead of Hussey for his catches), Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson. Michael Vaughan adds Monty Panesar as 12th man, for his drinks-carrying skills!

Players walking out, huge cheeers from the England fans and there’s barely an Aussie in the ground…

Agree?

aracer
    Free Member

Gotta be Cook I guess but Jimmy must come close.

Anderson has been a very, very good leader of the attack, but the bowling has been a team effort, and his stats are far from spectacular (though he’s bowled rather better than the stats would suggest). He’s not even in the same room as Cook when it comes to man of the series.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hussey ahead of collingwood only aussie worth considering IMHO
    Anderson has been much better than his stats but they are still impressive. Cook has to get it though for the records and run volume dour but very effective he is no Lara or tendulkar [spell]
    From TMS for those who missed it
    What do you call an Australian with a hundred runs to his name
    A bowler
    What do you call a world class Australian cricketer
    Retired

theotherjonv

This’ll be my third overseas Ashes tour on Sky, Postierich. Having watched Harmison hit 2nd slip and seeing England collapse to 147 a.o. four years ago were low points – so many hopes, so quickly crushed. I feel totally at home firmly on this particular bandwagon now.

LOL at ‘God Save Your Queen’

aracer
    Free Member

I had a good chuckle to that, Hairy. The thing is, even if you weren’t being biased, the only Australian you’d possibly have in your team is Hussey, and realistically it’s only because he could score runs at the WACA, as otherwise Colly’s catches were actually more valuable than his runs we didn’t need.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The ginger fella saved, probably, a handful of runs with his catches. I think he edges Hussey this time all round the pitch. As a batsman Hussey was a bit better though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The following picture depicts the state of Australian cricket:

Thanks, CRC!

Stoner
    Free Member

What the hell’s going on with the other ashes thread. It keeps popping to the top, but I cant see any posts on it?!??

Hairychested
    Free Member

“Vaughan on TMS.:What do you call an Aussie with a bottle of Champagne? A waiter.”

Hairychested
    Free Member

Stoner, the STW Towers are a bunch of Aussie supporters and they’ve had enough 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Rain. Oops.

Hairychested
    Free Member

“What do you call an Australian who can hold a catch? A fisherman.”

Hairychested
    Free Member

Why can no-one drink wine in Australia at the moment? They haven’t got any openers…

maxray
    Free Member

Dam rain 🙁 need to tempt smith into wafting at something and get bowling at siddles stumps!

aracer
    Free Member

Bah, this weather’s going to spoil my bedtime.

I reckon psychle must be posting to the other thread.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The weather is his fault!

Hairychested
    Free Member

And we have the first wicket 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Time for a Beer.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Another one bites the dust!

aracer
    Free Member

Well that was a surprise 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

W00t!

maxray
    Free Member

Get in!

Hairychested
    Free Member

DONE IT!

anthonyb
    Free Member

woohoo! what a result!

eth3er
    Free Member

Bandwago? me? I am ever so deeply offended. Deeply. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘The last minutes of The Ashes. Who's staying up?’ is closed to new replies.