Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 543 total)
  • The Last Jedi – Seen it, contains spoilers!
  • IdleJon

I seem to have missed the “message” can someone please fill me in? I always thought the standing message was “baddies are bad, goodies are good”?

Really? It wasn’t subtle. (Nothing about the film was subtle as per lots of Disney films).

Btw, judging by the fact that the galactic economy seems to be functioning so well that luxury gambling resorts can operate with almost no security at all, agriculture still goes on, business carries on, and Skywalker can book himself into a rural retreat for years, I think that the Star Wars films are about two bands of low-level gangster clans that are ignored by the sane population.

mahalo

Been avoiding all discussion and reviews until I’d seen it and now i have, just…

What a load of old shit.

Not a star wars geek, but a big film fan and I do like the series. Force Awakens and Rogue One especially stoked my enthusiasm recently

The last Jedi has completely squashed it. I’m not angry, just disappointed.

legend
    Free Member

Really? It wasn’t subtle

It appears I was looking for something a bit deeper than “poor girl done good” and “rich people are bad”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    funkmasterp

Really? It wasn’t subtle
    It appears I was looking for something a bit deeper than “poor girl done good” and “rich people are bad”

You went to a Star Wars movie for something deep?

mahalo

i don’t know about any political undercurrent or deeper meanings and I couldn’t really give a shit. the film is just naffy Mcnaff face.

Force Awakens was so cool and exciting, this was like The Phantom Menace following on from Return of the Jedi.

ransos
    Free Member

Force Awakens was so cool and exciting, this was like The Phantom Menace following on from Return of the Jedi.

The Force Awakens was a pure nostalgia fest, being pretty much a straight remake of the original film. I enjoyed it, but cool exciting? Not really.

monkeyboyjc

Watched this last Friday – cert disappointed.

All commercial reviews I’ve seen rated it. But, much like the last one mimicked A New Hope, the plot seemed to follow Empire Strikes Back…..

It’s was entertaining and funny but nothing new and didn’t have anything we haven’t seen before.

legend
    Free Member

You went to a Star Wars movie for something deep?

Wrong end of the stick. From the chat here I thought it was meant to be deeper. I go to Star Wars for 2 hrs of popcorn, lasers, lightsabers and x-wings

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s a film where a talking bin and a wizard are best pals.

Proper lol at that, thank you! 😆

I couldn’t find a pic of Paul Daniels with Dusty Bin, so this’ll have to do-

I think that’s a scene that didn’t quite make the final cut of TLJ, although they were going for a broader audience with all the comedy so I’m surprised it didn’t get through.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Still disappointed even more so by the lack of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKH-9B0Gsg

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well given that it was pointed out that the same (type of) people who built the tie fighters also built the x-wings means that things aren’t always black and white. So a little bit deeper than that. But not much.

IdleJon

Well given that it was pointed out that the same (type of) people who built the tie fighters also built the x-wings means that things aren’t always black and white. So a little bit deeper than that. But not much.

On a side note – which are better, and why is there no overlap between what the two sides are using? (“No, you aren’t allowed Tie fighters – you’re supposed to be the good guys!”)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tie fighters need something to hang them on, you need to spec your ship for them, x-wings land on the floor. Seems simple if you need a fighter to land on any ship

Pook

I couldn’t find a pic of Paul Daniels with Dusty Bin

It’s impossible to find footage of the 321/Wizbit crossover episodes.

IdleJon

Tie fighters need something to hang them on, you need to spec your ship for them, x-wings land on the floor. Seems simple if you need a fighter to land on any ship

Good point. And – I’ve wondered for 40 years but never bothered to google – why was Vader’s Tie fighter a different shape? (No need to answer – I’m spending the rest of the day googling what the hell is happening in the Star Wars universe!)

Star Wars geekdom here I come.

kayla1
    Free Member

edited cos I can’t read 😆

Drac

Vader’s is a modified advanced fighter.

ChrisL

Movie-making reason is so that you know it’s his TIE Fighter and not just some mook’s ship.

In-universe reason is that it is a TIE Advanced, a model equipped with shields and a hyperdrive. It never went into full production but some of its characteristics made it into the TIE Interceptor seen in Return of the Jedi.

IdleJon

Movie-making reason is so that you know it’s his TIE Fighter and not just some mook’s ship

Yes, I know. but when I went to the pictures to watch Star Wars (as we called it, not A New Hope!) when I was 8 or 9 that answer just didn’t seem satisfactory.

Drac

Yes, I know. but when I went to the pictures to watch Star Wars (as we called it, not A New Hope!) when I was 8 or 9 that answer just didn’t seem satisfactory.

When I first seen he had a different one as he’s the boss, it’s his A6 instead of an Octavia.

IdleJon

Drac, yes that what I always thought. No difference other than the spoilers and the TURBO badge on the back.

FB-ATB

IdleJon – Member 
    Drac, yes that what I always thought. No difference other than the spoilers and the TURBO badge on the back.

Angeldust will be along to argue that’s not the case.

IdleJon

According to the internet he would be right as well. It was a homologation special. They only built enough to take part in Group B dogfights, but they were banned after too many pilots ploughed into the spectators stands. 😆

DickBarton

his A6 instead of an Octavia

You mean his A4 or Golf…

Drac

No.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well, taking all the internet-found guff aside (I deliberately avoided all reviews) I went to see it today and loved it. Clever story, lots of pulling at emotions and some amazing cinematography. And i’ve been with the ride from the beginning – I queued to see the original way back when and loved it ever since. I see it as the best since the original three.

rob2
    Free Member

As my above post I wasn’t impressed, but I saw Ferdinand today.

Holey moley as my 7 year old would say. That film really is atrocious! There should be a public flogging for those who came up with that script

clevertrevor
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, more than I expected to. On a par with the original trilogy IMO. Maybe just me but I did cringe at every scene Hamill was in tho, youthful enthusiasm may have carried him in the originals but god he’s as wooden as in this. Thankfully didn’t detract from a v good film overall.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Watched it twice in the iTunes rental period just to make sure. Hot garbage, as the kids like to say.

hugo
    Free Member

Liked the previous Star Wars films  eg 3,4,5 and then 6.

Switched off this one off after 30 mins and watched I, Tonya instead (on a plane).

stewartc
    Free Member

Watched it again on iTunes last night for the first time since the cinema.

Visually, and sound wise, it does hold up well but I think the plot or maybe the editing lets it down.

Maybe the pressure to release a film or two every year will have a diminishing return of the general overall storyboard?

DickBarton

Nah, it was just mince. Rehashed episodes 4, 5 and 6 into a single film…

Harry_the_Spider

Our pre-order DVD arrived yesterday.

As I left for work at 7:00am this morning my 10 year old lad was settling in to watch it in his Star Wars PJs and Star Wars dressing gown, drinking tea from a Star Wars mug and surrounded by Star Wars action figures.

As the a member of the target audience he seemed more than happy. I only wish that I could have watched it with him.

We’re looking forward to watching Solo too.

anagallis_arvensis

Our pre-order DVD arrived yesterday.

Mine arrived last Saturday morning!! Lad of 7 loves it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can we just loop this post back to page 3 to save the effort of retyping

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I watched it wearing my Stormtrooper outfit, and dressed up my RealDoll® as Princess Leia for the occasion.  I’m definitely the target audience.

funkmasterp

Finally got round to watching it last night. I liked it but it did seem disjointed and they appear to have pretty much ignored everything that was laid down in the previous film.

Killing off two thirds of the bad guys (the interesting two thirds at that) left me thinking the next one will be annoying. Just the petulant perma-teen Kylo, spiritual successor to Ani the least intimidating villain in cinema history. Not enough Chewy either.

My main gripe was that Luke didn’t get hit by a boulder and have seagulls peck his knees.

Sandwich

looking forward to watching Solo too.

I always go with friends!

Badum-tish.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ren is a lot more interesting than Anakin ever was.  A far better character, and better acted too.

Are we discussing the plot on here?  I rewatched it last night and I’m trying to figure some stuff out.

1) We still don’t know who Rey really is.  Ren claims to have seen her parents in a force vision but they are unlikely to be her birth parents, IMO.

2) When she goes down the hole on the island, I’m not sure what she’s meant to see down there but she sees past and future, but they are in a loop, as if her existence is a closed circle with no beginning and no end.  And when she asks to see her parents, she only sees herself.  This to me suggests some kind of eternal being or something created out of the force rather than an actual person.  Which could tie into Anakin’s genesis.  On first viewing I glossed over that scene because it’s got no direct plot relevance in the film, but it’s clearly important otherwise it wouldn’t be in there.  It seems like the force is becoming more of an actor in events – the suggestion is that it is guiding the characters more – and also the title of VII is a bit of a clue.  But that also suggests sentience which is a bit quasi-religious and also a whole new can of worms.

3) Why the strong link between Ren and Rey?  Normally I’d expect that to suggest either they are separated siblings, or both of them would share the same mystical genesis.  But from what we know of the plot so far that can’t happen unless a) Leia knows she had two kids and hasn’t let on or b) Ren isn’t Leia and Solo’s biological son.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Well, I just hope Brienne is OK (hopefully her shiny armour is fireproof (and, er, fall proof).

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 543 total)

The topic ‘The Last Jedi – Seen it, contains spoilers!’ is closed to new replies.