Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • The last Defender
  • matt_outandabout

Have we done this yet? Search shows nothing, but with the cryptic thread titles on here these days, who knows!

The end is nigh for the Land Rover Defender. 😕

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35285258

Come on, your pics and stories.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Family holiday to Scotland from the South Coast and back in a Series 3. I would happily torch the last one as it comes off the line after that experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as I asked my Dad a northern farmer why he was sad about the end of the defender. I asked if he would buy one – hell no who would be such an idiot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Had a series 2 SWB for towing neddie boxes round, 2.5ltr diesel Perkins engine in it and a steering box that would do 3 turns full lock left, 18 to full lock right…

CheesybeanZ

Its not the last thier moving production abroad , trying for a bigger slice of the world market I believe .

wwaswas

My brother’s bought one of the run out ‘Heritage’ ones – a LWB station wagon in that pale green. He’s pleased with it.

He went and saw the production run, it’s parallel to the Range Rover one and he said it was obvious why they were stopping production – it’s a 50 year old production process.

SaxonRider

I have never owned one, but I think Defenders speak for themselves. They just tend to use one word: ‘Awesome’.

matt_outandabout

He went and saw the production run, it’s parallel to the Range Rover one and he said it was obvious why they were stopping production – it’s a 50 year old production process.

Agreed – we went as a school trip. There was a chap stood with a large mallet – every front wing coming out the machine was ‘adjusted’ by him to fit using the mallet…

fasthaggis

Special collectors mug available

badnewz
    Free Member

The security at the University of East Anglia had a Defender. Didn’t stop my bike from getting nicked off campus, so I always questioned its credentials.

andyl
    Free Member

Been looking for 110 TD5 XS to use pulling the sheep trailer and mini expeditions (also want to do an overland to africa) and sellers are certainly hiking prices with people asking £15-19k for a 10-12 year old one. May have to wait until I have my new workshop so I can buy one with a rotten chassis and rebuild it how I want it, which is the advantage of Defenders.

freeagent
    Free Member

Drove in a charity rally from London to Sarajevo in 2001 in my 300TDi Defender, along with about 20 other vehicles.
    We took aid, and raised cash for a mine clearance charity.
    The whole trip was mental – we drove over the Alps (Gross Glockner road etc) then dropped in on various Army bases on the way.
    When we reached Sarajevo we camped in the Ambassadors garden.

The Bosnian war was not long over, and Sarajevo was rated as the 4th most dangerous place on Earth by the UN at the time.

So many cool memories – the strip club under a motorway flyover in downtown Sarajevo where the doormen had Uzis, the tour of the UK REME base where they let us drive all the big trucks, etc.

Best bit was the people – the locals were all so nice – that is my best memory from Landrover ownership – getting to meet people (I also done two trips to Morocco in Landrover Discoveries since then)

Morocco 2006 –

I’m hoping in a position to buy another 4×4 in 18-24 months.
    My head says sensible Nissan Patrol, Toyota something, somehow I know i’ll end up with a moneypit Defender which will need £1000’s spending on it just to get it roadworthy.

scruff
    Free Member

Pearce and Revolution uplifts are my only experience. All total POS’s but still drag 10 riders and bikes up the hill all day.

Solo
    Free Member

The last Defender

No, there will be another.
    😉

willard

The thing I most remember about them is that, no matter how I get into one to drive it, I bash my knee on the same bit of the dash that juts out below the steering wheel. And how uncomfortable and slow they are compared to a Hilux or an L200 or Navarra. Or Land Cruiser.

That said, I did learn to drive in a 110 on a ploughed field. Happy days.

votchy
    Free Member

Its not the last thier they’re moving production abroad , trying for a bigger slice of the world market I believe .

The last that can be sold in most markets due to legislation etc…

matt_outandabout

No, there will be another.

There can be only one. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I drove a LR wolf HS from north-ish Bosnia to Dubrovnik (the interesting bit was a pause in Mostar)
    I love those things. Compared with the previous models, they drove themselves (into walls usually…)

mattbee

Horrible, leaky, smelly, rattly, slow,expensive to run, cramped and completely impractical for most day to day driving.
    I really miss my ex RAF 90 tin top with a TD transplant and I’d have one again in a heartbeat if I had the space for a ‘fun’ vehicle. I even think I’d have it over the S111 Airportable or RRC I had before and after.

wwaswas

Here it is, the last one:

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Is that a spot of oil I see on the floor?

Scapegoat

I wondered if I was the only one to get fasthaggis’s joke…..

yetidave
    Free Member

My family have had;

1948 S1
    1967 SWB petrol
    1980’s SWB petrol
    1970’s straight 6 petrol 109
    early 80’s rebuild with 3.2l perkins
    early 90’s 90.

My dad spent most weekends that I have known him under one or rebuilding them. Sadly no landrover in the family anymore, but my dad now can spend some time with the grandkids!!

nickc

hateful. Last time I had to drive one was for a summer job delivering portaloos. It was a rush every morning between us to make sure you didn’t end up with the Landy, otherwise it would take 4-5 times as long to do the collections and deliveries, and it was **** uncomfortable, whoever designed it must have had the worlds shortest legs

rusty90
    Free Member

It’s all right, someone in a Hilux will be along to tow it to a garage in a minute.
    Looking forward (not) to spending tomorrow trying to fix the weird electrical fault on my 25 year old 90.

matt_outandabout

Awful things, I would never have one.*

But they don’t half put a smile on my face.

We used to hire them at the outdoor centre for some of the big expeditions. Being Lix Toll vehicles, it was *expected* they would be used properly. Knowing the local farmers and being a phone call away from permission mean that my family had a few pleasant evenings…. 8)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/df9QKv]Glen Dubh[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9E2p2Y]Landrover 110[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9DYz1F]Landrover 110[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r41JJe]Lix Toll Landrover 110 above Breachlaich, Killin[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dfvSo4]IMGP6197[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its not the last thier moving production abroad , trying for a bigger slice of the world market I believe

Grammar aside, I thought this really was the end of the roadmap? The idea was that the ‘new’ defender would be so much easier to build that even for emerging markets it would be better building worldwide production lines rather than shipping the Solihull one to China.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I like the tribute colour and design of the last one. Had to be something with heritage written all over it, this looks cool IMO.

As for the oil and breakdown jokes, there has to be some humour in owning one.

Most of us, at some point in our lives, on here have either owned or been tempted or lusted or probably collected friends/relatives out from a broken down one.

For that alone they get my sad farewell.

Long Live the Defender.

8)

unovolo
    Free Member

I think for a lot of people they like the ‘look’ ,the reality is they are very outdated mode of transport with plenty of foibles.
    My brothers got a lwb one with Snorkel,winch sumpguards etc and it looks the business but for pootling about in its just not that great but comes into its own when its loaded up with his dogs and a caravan on the back.
    Most of the time he drives his focus.

crazy-legs

Hope Technology have a picture of their Defender on their Facebook page but I can’t seem to direct link the picture.

https://www.facebook.com/hopetech/?fref=ts

Looks quite smart.
    That said I’ve driven RAF Defenders a few times and they were always hideous to drive, possibly because they’d been ragged senseless up and down runways.

matt_outandabout

Long Live the Defender.

All hail the king! 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Time to raise a glass in honour.

Thanks for years of fun.

Sundayjumper

I’ve had two*. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice…

* well, a One Ten and a SIII.

aracer
    Free Member

I sometimes drove my mate’s S3 – horrible thing to drive, especially when I got to do the trip from Cambridge to the Black Mountains fully loaded. But also great fun and I can totally see the appeal. Which I guess echoes what many others have been saying. There will be plenty of them on the roads for many years to come though.

drlex
    Free Member

I see that the last Defender rolled off the production line with its lights flashing and horn sounding. I reckon the fault is probably in the fuse box…

butcher

The last that can be sold in most markets due to legislation etc…

Is that why it’s being binned? I’d never really thought about it before, until they mentioned safety regulations on the radio yesterday, in regards to crumple zones and the like. And in that respect I suppose it is worlds apart from any other modern car.

I thought they were updating it into something more modern though. And that this was only going to be the last ‘traditional’ Defender in all of its post-war glory.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I think it’s mainly the US market and air bags. I watched some prog a couple of weekes ago where a Ferrari (or some other exotica) was being renovated. They stated that the difference between an official US import and a European import was that the US model had an extra brace in the engine bay to protect in the case of a 5mph crash!! On a 200mph car and in a country where handguns are bought over the counter (this make be a different argument).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Same reason MG had to put plastic bumpers and raise the body work (by using metal washers 😆 ) on the MGB

butcher

I think it’s mainly the US market and air bags. I watched some prog a couple of weekes ago where a Ferrari (or some other exotica) was being renovated. They stated that the difference between an official US import and a European import was that the US model had an extra brace in the engine bay to protect in the case of a 5mph crash!! On a 200mph car and in a country where handguns are bought over the counter (this make be a different argument).

The US I believe have some very strict laws on imports. Not sure if it’s so much to protect their citizens, but maybe to protect their motor industry?

professor_fate
    Free Member

So what will the MOD be supplied with from now on, or has the contract with LR ended? Would be odd to see the squaddie mobile being a Hilux/Ranger etc (and what would the REME do without Landys to fix )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘The last Defender’ is closed to new replies.