Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • The Lakes – Climb every mountain, ford every stream……..
  • clareymorris

Thank you Lowey and hope you are OK x

anc
    Free Member

Off the front to Rowling end is the techy steep option. Rigg beck whilst fun isn’t all that techy apart from the odd steep bit. Good fun though and some cracking singletrack in places. We use the stoneycroft track as access up its 90% rideable then go onto causey from the col between Sail and Scar crags.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

…and if you’re coming up Whiteless Pike (which is a great descent by the way), it’d be better to head left, down towards Sand Hill, then up and over Grisdale Pike. Then you’ve got a choice of descents: Hobcarton, Sleet How, Whinlatter via the south loop. Stoneycroft’s a fun descent too, or cut left part way down and head over Barrow. All very cheeky though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Rowling End is fun in a ‘I can say I’ve done it now!’ kinda way, but it’s not rideable in too many places for it to compete with the other path to the left that ends up at the same place. anc – the route up you describe, I’ve always turned left before the Col and short-cutted having to come over Scar Craggs.

While I have you, what’s going on on Sail? I was on Knott Rigg in October and it looked like they were making that climb rideable for me?

Also, I’m around the week after Easter, so make sure you chaps have some decent rides planned!

Cheers

anc
    Free Member

Up whiteless pike!! just seen that fergal. Shudders 😐 ….. That’s definately a down, i’d get your height other more rideable ways. Best routes onto Coledale area would be either top of the south of whinlatter onto grisdale Pike, Stoneycroft then the zigzags onto sail or straight up from the mines to Coledale Hause. Going up gasgale gill used to be another good rideable option but its a bit fecked since the floods. Of all the descents in that area Whiteless is my fave, but definately not a easy option up i’d give it a miss, unless of course you like carrying.

anc
    Free Member

Hia Paul, yes I ment just towards Rowling end as fergal asked which direction Rowling or Rigg, we also turn left at the col. Rowling end’s to dodgy in places so you’ve got to get off. Yes its zigzaged up Sail and can be ridden if you’ve got the legs(scree is gone), although it’s so wet up here at the moment I’m guessing it will be way too soggy to get up at present. Needs time to bed down again or freeze up.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Stopadoodledoo – I might be wrong but I think I had a chat about the Lakes with you in Aston Hill car park last year

Yep, that would have been me. Hi.

For those of you who still live up there, you should think yourselves very, very lucky. I moved away down South years ago (work reasons) and still miss Cumbria every day of my life.

wl
    Free Member

FreerideNick – nice pics – what camera do you use?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

its zigzaged up Sail

It’s a fun descent with your third brake down (ie foot) for the sharp turns – but not as good as it used to be.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden off Sail towards Causey, but always thought it would be a bit dull, very straight and very fast. Mind you from my memory of it I can’t see why it would have needed repairing, so perhaps I’ve misremembered it.

I like the run from Coledale Hause into Coledale at the top because the artificial zig zags are great for practising Scandinavian Flicks, so might have a look at Sail as it should be similar now.

Have you done Gamling End down to Scarth Gap, always fancied a run at that, but can’t work out if it’s like that Barrow Scree run but 10 times the length (ie certain death rather than just probable death)

Cheers

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Have you done Gamling End down to Scarth Gap,

Nope, but I’ll add it to the list ! Always fancied that run off Red Pike down to Buttermere but have never got around to it.

like that Barrow Scree run but 10 times the length (ie certain death rather than just probable death)

Just grit your teeth and hold on tight – you were the only one who managed to stay upright that night, I’m sure you’ll be fine 😀

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I landed on my back at the bottom, then the bike landed on my chest, I wasn’t in control at all, I was just going too fast to do anything other than hang on and hope for the best! But yeah, I guess it probably looked good from the bottom.

Let me know about Gamlin End, if I read about it in the Times and Star, I’ll know to give it a miss!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Oh yeah, what’s Rigg Beck like down to Buttermere?

anc
    Free Member

Its a good bit of singletrack steep and narrow in places nothing to taxing, its good up as well.

fergal
    Free Member

anc crossed wires i meant up Whitless pike from the Grizedale side, do the descent of Whiteless then cut left and up to sail then down Causey pike or Rig Beck, asking cos i’m a tourist that needs to make my rides count!.

fergal
    Free Member

couldn’t resist this, one of my favourites halcyon days.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv8vHM9r3g

Sanny
    Free Member

Whiteless Pike – a belter combined with an ascent via the singletrack in Newlands Valley.

Ullock Pike – magic but cheeky.

Fairfield Horseshoe – rode and carried up into the saddle from Grasmere in the snow then followed the main path down. Lots of ice and snow but a cracking descent.

Nan Bield down to the bottom of Gategarth then climb up Gatesgarth then onto the cheeky trail to retrun via Nan Bield.

Great thread BTW. The Lakes are indeed the place to go to ride. I’ve not explored the southern side of Buttermere but it’s on the list for the Spring.

I hear Red Screes above Ambleside is pretty good but I’ve not ridden it yet.

Cheers

Sanny

fergal
    Free Member

I have really enjoyed this thread Sanny, thanks for all the contributions so far…i may be flogging a dead horse but..
    Has anyone done the tour of Great Gable over the four passes sounds epic, can’t wait to get to grips with the down off Black Sail pass, high on the list for summer, any experiences, pics.

Sanny
    Free Member

I think my friend Graeme (Graeme Jones) did it last year and posted pics on this very site.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I think Gav(Gas) did a couple of times last Summer fergal – he’s usually online more in the evenings.

DavidM
    Free Member

Fergal, I reckon their was a bit in the mag that featured that route not so long ago, mag number 58 I believe.

In short though, it’s ace

xcstu
    Free Member

Arrh god I miss riding in the lakes 🙁 but will be back for easter 🙂 some great pics on here too!

Fergal – great clip and loved the tune!

Now my ride back out of london.. pants…

alwhit
    Free Member

High street down to Troutbeck,
    also i really like the Howgills from the calf down Arant Haw to Winder

tomaso
    Free Member

I know there are better decents in terms of pure terrain but this one was special because of when as much as where. Dropping off High Street at dawn last summer solstice, riding into the sun.

el_boufador

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Nice day in the lakes today, actually felt like spring had arrived. Clear blue skies, made for a great night ride tonite. Anyway a few pics…

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Fergal, which four passes does the tour of Great Gable take in? I have done from Seathwaite / Honister / Butermere / Scarthgap / enerdale / Blacksaill / Wasdale head up and over to styhead tarn and back down to Seathwaite. Its got some really good decents but a lot of push carrying. There are probably better ways / routes to do, however still glad i did it!

lowey

IMAG0023 by lowey.com, on Flickr

IMAG0238 by lowey.com, on Flickr

IMAG0402 by lowey.com, on Flickr

IMAG0434 by lowey.com, on Flickr

DSC03811 by lowey.com, on Flickr

DSC01587 by lowey.com, on Flickr

DSC01589 by lowey.com, on Flickr

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Red Screes?

Have you got an actual death wish?

I walked up in the summer, I think you could ride a fair bit of it, but some bits are pretty much cliff. What you can ride would be no better than OK I reckon. There isnt a good way of making it into a loop either, everything past there is a slog.

clareymorris

5 passes did someone say?…………

fergal
    Free Member

Lowey some pretty buff looking singletrack there and guess what i ain’t
    got a clue as to where, feeling sheepish now as the nice folks of this forum have allowed me to glean so much info 🙄

fergal
    Free Member

Clareymorris Worth the blood sweat and tears i’m sure, or is it really not so bad.

clareymorris

Fergal it is a hard day out but worth EVERY SINGLE DROP OF SWEAT 😀

lowey

Loving that route Clare… was going to do it last year but throw in the Mickleden valley by Rosset Ghyll with a bivy at Sprinkling Tarn but never managed to get the time. Itson this years list!

Fergal… Top to Bottom
    Top of Scots Rake looking back to Ill Bell and Froswick
    Ascending Boredale
    Barrow Door to Sail.
    Rigg Beck to Newlands
    Unspeakable sexual acts with the Grizedale Fox (the minx)
    Parkamoor to Nibthwaite
    Blawith Fells.

The lakes is just simply sublime for riding, and if you adopt a cheeky attitude to the place like some here, you could spend your whole life riding there.

andywp

round the back of Skiddaw

Heading back up to the Lakes at Easter 🙂

lowey

Been rummaging through some old paper pics tonight and found one of us trying to get down the Coniston old Man Tourist track to Lowes Water and it jogged a memory. Anyone had a bash at this descent recently ? Mega Cheeky I know, maybe a weekday or summer evening. I think it was probably 88 when I tried it and cant really remember having people problems, just riding problems!!

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘The Lakes – Climb every mountain, ford every stream……..’ is closed to new replies.