Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The lads bike – thanks!
  • allankelly

One of my boys is 7yo and the keenest biker. I built him a 26″ bike to see if it fitted, and it did – a quick size-it-up job from whatever I had. Handsome Dog XC-01 reliable old jump-style frame, SS, whatever. Ended up a bit blingy for parking outside the school though. So, I stripped it and I needed a fork. MANY THANKS to Paul (whsPE) for selling me these Manitous for postage.

So, here’s the bike. And here’s it being ridden. Go on my son!

Cheers, al.

psychle
    Free Member

plenty of room to grow into that one 🙂 looks cool mate 8)

allankelly

Thanks psychle, he’s been round glentress green + blue on it rigid, so I think Inners is next 😉

a.

tinribz
    Free Member

He’s a big lad for 7! I’m thinking of doing something similar soon, what size is the frame? Was looking at some of those 16 or 14″ generic alu’s on ebay.

allankelly

Roughly a 14″. My bikes are mostly On-One and I’m dead sure one of (ex)- Brant’s 14″ Inbreds would be perfect. It’s a Handsome Dog XC-01 though, and as you can see fits wee lads…

al.

Coyote
    Free Member

Are those 5/10 Crocs?

Clink

did you use shorter cranks?
    I’m in the process of building oldest daughter a 14″ Inbred (its ss but adding gear hanger) – just got it back from powdercoaters…

desf
    Free Member

Is that the frame you were riding when I met you on the Innocent Railway many moons ago?
    😉

clunker

Clink – looks a good finish mate

allankelly

Desf – hi there! Yes, I commuted on that for a good while. Did my wrists in because I had it with DMR Sidekick rigids on. Great to have these oldy-but-goody forks.

Cheers, al.

allankelly

Clink: that’s going to be lovely! I just used cranks I had, nothing particularly short. He is very big for 7yo, but it’s amazing what a 50mm stem with seatpost at zero, seat forward can do. It feels TINY when I swing a leg over, and as above I rode it for years.. I think I’ll use it to (finally) learn to wheelie… before he does!

al.

takisawa2

Spot on mate. I built up an old 14″ Kona jump frame for my nephew last year. It was for his 8th birthday. I’ve always maintained that as soon as they go up to 26″ wheels they are much better off & improve in leaps & bounds. Has the same set-up as yours I think, 50mm stem, practically zero seat height but luckily found some old 170mm cranks.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

allan – knowing kids that means you’ve got a week.

My kids rode with a MTB instructor at GT last week for a couple of hours and now get more air than I do.

oldgit
    Free Member

I did the same for my lad, and we’ve just passed on the frame to someone else.
    You can get an engineer to tap out some old cranks and get them shortened.
    It has been worthwhile going the 26″ route asap, then just moving up frame sizes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘The lads bike – thanks!’ is closed to new replies.