Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard thread
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Only recently got into KGATWL but am absolutely hooked and convinced of their genius..
    Theres a rabid fan scene fuelled in part by their unbelievably colourful and plentiful vinyl offerings.
    Not sure I’ve come across such a prolific act before, but I find the tempo and style very addictive.
    Yet to see them live but they are on the must see list. Any fans of the Gizz?

Nonagon Infinity is just brilliant!

richardkennerley

Yep, seen then a few times now. Last time was a very sweaty affair at the Albert hall mcr. If you’re quick, their full Glastonbury set was watchable on iPlayer. Totally bonkers

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve watched that set a couple of times now, bonkers is the word.

nickc

S’ok…Tame Impala do the same sort of thing, dull after a while though. Not for me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saw them closing out Dark Mofo down here in Tassie a couple of years ago, big and loud was my lasting impression.

mikey74
    Free Member

I watched part of their set at Glastonbury and got bored. Some decent ideas but they come across as a watered-down Kyuss or Queens of the Stoneage (SftD era, natch).

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’s the driving pace that catches me, took me several attempts at first and suddenly it seemed to just ‘click’.
    It’s like you need to warm up before being able to focus – and then its hard to turn them off

DezB
    Free Member

Yet to see them live but they are on the must see list. Any fans of the Gizz

You must!
    Seen them twice in Brighton – last years one was the hottest, sweatiest gig of my life, then a couple of months ago they equalled it, with the second hottest, sweatiest gig of my life. Highlight was the singer stage-diving into the crowd and being carried aloft down the beach to the sea, for his baptism. In the distance we could hear the band still playing. On the beach, one kid said to me it was the best gig he’d ever been to 😀

llama

Only come to these this year so a little late. It’s my sort of thing, but I’m old so what do I know. Saw their John Peel set a Glastonbury (they played 3 sets in different locations on sat/sun ffs don’t they get tired?). It was pretty good for me. When they merged into Master of the Universe in Robot Stop my Hawkwind loving mate was converted too.

It takes a bit of a thick skin to release a double space rock concept album about a cyborg who destroys the universe with its own vomit.

4 album released by the end of this year, next is going to be improvisational jazz apparently, look forward to that. It does seem that each album is basically 1 sound/song riffed on for the whole record, but like I say, that’s my kind of thing.

Comparison with Tame Impala I get but these guys are on another level, less up themselves, and/or have much better drugs.

verses

Saw them at Latitude a couple of years back.
    Like them a lot!

Cellophane, cellophane cellophane cellophane…

DezB
    Free Member

The “Quarters” album is a good one too. The River is a bit of an earworm though.

darrell
    Free Member

Mleh

heard it all before. Totally unoriginal

plenty of bands from the late 60s and 70s made this type of music

DezB
    Free Member

Quite hard to see them live though eh.

darrell
    Free Member

Gong are still touring

so are Yes

DezB
    Free Member

Yes? Yes are the worst band I’ve ever heard. Go on the ZZ Top thread to discuss your old stuff.
    Or how about a suggestion of something new we should be listening to, that might actually be a useful contribution.

richardkennerley

darrell – Member
    Mleh

heard it all before. Totally unoriginal

plenty of bands from the late 60s and 70s made this type of music

Yeah they did, doesn’t mean bands today can’t do their interpretation of it. Most bands sound similar to something that’s already gone before them

darrell
    Free Member

it doesnt sound like a new interpretation of an old style

it sounds like an unimaginative rip off

but hey each to their grumpy own

DezB
    Free Member

Or how about a suggestion of something new we should be listening to, that might actually be a useful contribution.

Nah, didn’t think so.

darrell
    Free Member

Gong or Yes

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, will check em, grandad.

CountZero

They played Far Out late on the Thursday evening at Green Man last year, I went along out of curiosity and quite enjoyed them, but I’m not sure I could really be bothered with any of their recorded stuff.
    Not unlike Hawkwind, who I saw play Bath many years ago, and all I have of theirs is Silver Machine.
    These days Mastodon and Opeth are more my thing, not that they’re really like King Gizzard.
    And that really is a stupid name!

Yes? Yes are the worst band I’ve ever heard.

Which incarnation? ‘Cos there’s been a few over the years. Sorry, but if you think Yes are the worst band you’ve ever heard, I don’t think you’re trying anywhere near hard enough!
    I gave up on them after ‘Topographic Oceans’, although I did see them on that tour, and they really had become very self indulgent by that point, but the standard of musicianship in that band was outstanding, Chris Squire one of the finest bass players I’ve ever seen play.
    Back to Hawkwind, who were pretty ramshackle when I saw them, good fun, but lacking in focus, shall we say… 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

NONAGON INFINITY OPENS THE DOOR!!

the video for rattlesnake is just brilliant.
    As is Gamma Knife for that matter. And People Vultures.

I’ll never understand the ‘they just sound like older bands’ argument. Surely that’s a good thing?, More material to enjoy, and no need to be whinging about nothing sounding good any more?!

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry, but if you think Yes are the worst band you’ve ever heard

No need to apologise. But they are. How the hell woould I know which incarnation? You think I hear something physically repugnant and think “Ooh maybe I should check out their other stuff!” ?? 😆

[edit] Actually, it might not have even been Yes! I think it was actaully Rush! Still, hate them both.

I’ll never understand the ‘they just sound like older bands’ argument.
    Oh, I definitely understand it – stuff like War On Drugs, I find really pointless, hate em. But I loik what I loik, doesn’t really matter. However, if there was a “War on Drugs Thread” thread, I’d just avoid it rather than spouting off.

darrell
    Free Member

taken me a while to remember this thread

Slightly less old fart bands

Baroness
    Amplifier
    Knifeworld

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard thread’ is closed to new replies.