• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Del.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The joys of no-tech
  • ajantom

I’m still giggling after yesterdays ride 😀
    I picked up a barely used Transition Klunker for a great price on Ebay, and took it for it’s maiden voyage around Haldon.
    My slowest laps ever of the red route, but hell’s teeth it was fun.
    It’s amazing how little a coaster brake stops you – well it’s either nothing or a 20 yard skid!

…and for anyone who knows the off-piste stuff at Haldon. Ring-Ring on a rigid Klunker with just a coaster brake is simultaneously arse-clenchingly scary and laugh-out-loud funny.

I was having too much fun to take pictures, but next time…

martymac

from the ‘dirt’ video, which was free in mbuk in the 90s, “its not about who’s going the fastest, its about who’s having the most fun”

BigDummy
    Free Member

Awesome!

I’m guessing though, if none of your mates have them you probably end up going out by yourself on it. 🙂

jam-bo

how do you know you were slower? no-tech fail….

colin9

I do secretly want a Transition Klunker

honourablegeorge

Nicolai quote 7.25KG for the Ion GPI frame, versus 3.2 for the standard Ion 16.

So 4 extra KG – obviously that’s offset agaisnt having to put cranks, derailleur, cassette, etc on a standard frame, but I’d guess there’s still a fair bit of weight in it – there’s 2KG in the difference in complete Techline bikes (14.2kg vs 16.2kg) though the specs are a bit different

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nearest I ever had was a Kona A’ha, which they ended up getting gloriously Xtracycle’d:

That had rim brakes though! 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Nicolai quote 7.25KG for the Ion GPI frame, versus 3.2 for the standard Ion 16.

So 4 extra KG – obviously that’s offset agaisnt having to put cranks, derailleur, cassette, etc on a standard frame, but I’d guess there’s still a fair bit of weight in it – there’s 2KG in the difference in complete Techline bikes (14.2kg vs 16.2kg) though the specs are a bit different

This post is almost poetically misplaced in its anti-thread! 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I still want one of the kona humuhumunukunukuapua’a, no good reason, probably just as a bad ass commuter.

sharkattack

I’d actually love a Transition Klunker. Perfect for my closest trails at Hamsterley.

Retro Yamaha colours please,

wrecker
    Free Member

I had one. The coaster brake gave me that deep, primal fear. Absolutely terrifying.

Del

there wasn’t a lot of giggling going on during the climb out from the bottom of the red…
    apart from us of course. 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

I’d love a Klunker – and OP if you’ve bought the green one that I forgot to bid on then you got a bargain!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bikes are tech, sorry.

No tech is going for a walk.

jam-bo

only if you are barefoot and naked.

ajantom

Ok, ok. Maybe No-tech wasn’t quite right! Lo-tech then 😉

Del – yah, maybe the gearing is a tad high still. Though you did catch me at the end of 13 miles on it.

Rusty – yup, the green one. Total bargain! It honestly looked unridden when I got it. Some scratches on the bars as he described, but apart from that no chainring wear, plastic chain guard still in place, ‘hairs’ still on tyres.

The best thing about it being green is that it’s a very similar colour to my Krampus, and the wife tends to recognise new bikes by their colour. So it’s gone under the radar……so far.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

I had a Coventry Eagle that I used to take up the North Downs, MrWhyte rode it once and wondered how I wasn’t dead. Was an amazing bike. A lot of fun to ride, but dangerous as anything. I learnt a lot going low tech.

Went and got a 1 brake BMX to ride around the local wood. There is something to be said for a pick up and chuck about bike!

Del

i reckon you’ll notice when she starts hanging towels on that superfluous top tube. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘The joys of no-tech’ is closed to new replies.