Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • The Island of Japan as moved!!
  • can-uk
    Free Member

😯

?”The earthquake was so powerful that Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology said the Earth’s axis shifted 9.8in [25cm]. The US Geological Survey said the main island of Japan had moved 7.8ft [2.4m].”

I know that there are many, many more important things to consider at this time.. but what are the implications of a country moving by nearly 8 feet??

GPS issues, Maps & Charts?? what else?

Article here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8378631/Japan-earthquake-tens-of-thousands-missing-as-full-devastation-emerges.html

TheFlyingOx

It’s also sunk by 70cm, meaning a lot of the water we’re seeing covering coastal towns is likely to be permanent.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Terrifying reading, highly informative at the same time, thanks for the linky.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I know that there are many, many more important things to consider at this time.. but what are the implications of a country moving by nearly 8 feet??

shorter flight times?

kaesae
    Free Member

I believe that this is just the start and that we will see more and more earth quakes of this magnitude and greater, as well as eruptions, flash floods and other extreme weather.

Is it not a strange coincidence that there is a lot of activity in Iceland

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/8311924/Icelandic-volcano-set-to-erupt.html

as well as on the other side of the earth in Japan and the surrounding area ❓

Just a thought!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think we all moved didn’t we? Didn’t this shift the earth’s axis or did I dream that last night?

DrP

shorter flight times?

Very narrow minded there. Some flights will be LONGER…… 😉

DrP

Duke
    Free Member

Or longer flight times, it’s all relative.

We are lucky to have had one of the longest periods of tectonic stability in the earths history that has allowed life to evolve as far as it has, i.e. us.

Also, since Chris Columbus “found” the Americas (Although lots of evidence suggests the Vikings got there before him, along with tall white haired Europeans) The Atlantic ocean has widened by about 25m.

The earth is a dynamic place. What’s happening/happened in Japan is both horrific and amazing. We know people in Komono, Mie. Not sure how affected they are yet.

Xylene
    Free Member

It’s the supermoon

The end is nigh

yossarian
    Free Member

DrJ

Don’t worry, people of Japan – help is at hand via the Lady Gaga Japan Earthquake Relief Wristband

monkey_boy
    Free Member

It’s also sunk by 70cm, meaning a lot of the water we’re seeing covering coastal towns is likely to be permanent.

****!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Reuters are reporting this morning, during the night (our time), these faint transmissions were seen on televisions in parts of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina.

sweepy
    Free Member

Don’t worry, people of Japan – help is at hand via the Lady Gaga Japan Earthquake Relief Wristband

What possible bloody use is that, its not even got a hologram

allthepies
    Free Member

as it ?

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I think it would be better for the people of Japan, and indeed the world, if ‘Lady’ Gaga just stopped. That would free up a load of money for the people of Japan.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Barelyincontrol – Member
    I think it would be better for the people of Japan, and indeed the world, if ‘Lady’ Gaga just stopped. That would free up a load of money for the people of Japan.
    POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Internet reports of her donating $16,000,000

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Wife told me that the earth moved this morning. Was about to get divorced until I read this. Panic over.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

main island of Japan had moved 7.8ft [2.4m]

It does seem a lot, but I had always understood that earthquakes are caused by continents moving about, and as it was a massive earthquake, it shouldn’t come as any great surprise.

And I wouldn’t worry too much about the Moon moving away from us at 3.8 centimetres per year either. Or the fact that Greece is slowly sliding into the Mediterranean and will eventually disappear. Yes, the World will be a very different place in a few billion years. But we’ll adapt. Somehow.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It does seem a lot, but I had always understood that earthquakes are caused by continents moving about,

Did you really, ernie? How peculiar.

epicyclo

Every now and then the Earth reminds us that all our efforts to pollute and damage it are amateur.

Duke
    Free Member

I refer my honorable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you really, ernie? How peculiar.

Yep Woppit. That’s what I was taught at school anyway…..the connection between earthquakes and plate tectonics and continental drift.

Why ? Do you want to make some pedantic point suggesting there might be other causes ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There was me thinking that it was the plate techtonics that was causing the eathquakes.

Or perhaps Richard Dawkins.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There was me thinking that it was the plate techtonics that was causing the eathquakes.

So that’s quite different to saying “earthquakes are caused by continents moving about” ?

Plate tectonics isn’t anything to do with “continents moving about” ?

Hahaha…….what a fool I am ! I can understand why you thought “how peculiar” ! 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So that’s quite different to saying “earthquakes are caused by continents moving about” ?

Um, yes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the claim that when continental plates move some of the energy is released as earthquakes is false then ?

There is no connection whatsoever ?

How do you know all this stuff Woppit ?

GrahamS

From earth-shaking natural disasters to petty bickering and pedantry in 25 posts?

Good effort boys 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good innit ? 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

So the claim that when continental plates move some of the energy is released as earthquakes is false then ?

Yes. When the techtonic (or “continental”) plates shift, energy is released that causes earthquakes.

It’s the plates that are shifting, not the “continents”….

TheFlyingOx

Bit of perspective for you pedantry gimps:

Before and after satellite images.

But you’re right. We must first bash out the finer points of terminology to be used in describing what happened before we can even contemplate showing a bit of empathy for the affected.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Woppit FFS! 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Strangely enough, I haven’t read about any religious pundit claiming it was god’s judgement because the Japanese don’t worship the correct deity, or somesuch. What CAN be keeping them quiet?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Funny how global warming had absolutely nothing to do with it…….

So let’s see Mother Nature 1 Climate Change Idiots 0?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. When the techtonic (or “continental”) plates shift, energy is released that causes earthquakes.

Most earthquakes, although it’s more complicated than that.

The plates are shifting all the time building up tension – this then is released along certain plate boundaries in sudden movements. There are lots of kinds of fault though.

Funny how global warming had absolutely nothing to do with it…….

So let’s see Mother Nature 1 Climate Change Idiots 0?

Scuse me?

tankslapper
    Free Member

The point is that we may have more to worry about than global warming

Anyone else notice the amount and magnitude of the earth movements around the Pacific rim over the past few years? My guess is we are about to see a super volcano – so the global warming debate will be ever so slightly null and void. This is just the start

Thanks for all the fish

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tankslapper – can you edit that until I’ve had the chance to go and buy all the baked beans and tinned meat in the local area?

Thanks.

Yeti

Cougar

Mother Nature 1 Climate Change Idiots 0?

Oh, this should be good. Hang on a minute lads, let me get some popcorn.

molgrips
    Free Member

The point is that we may have more to worry about than global warming

Right, but which things can we actually do something about?

My guess is we are about to see a super volcano

Oh, let’s all guess stuff! My guess is blue! Ooh this is fun!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Bite dam you! BITE!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘The Island of Japan as moved!!’ is closed to new replies.