• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ianpv.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The industrial fells ate my rocket, Ron.
  • 5 miles into the Mary Townley, along the The back of Top of Leech, a 10mm gash in the knobbly bit. It’s a 2.8 27.5. I ended up sticking a tube in which then got a slow puncture, so the remaining 40 odd miles was punctuated with stops every 5 miles to blow the fecker up. My first tubeless on a hardtail. I like the plus bit, weight and grip but not sure about the ‘made of cheese’ bit. Any suggestions? New tyre? plug it? Take 5 inner tubes everywhere I go? I don’t mind going a bit mud tyre as it’s always raining and the Rockets have a tendency to ‘aqua plane’ over mud.
    Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

‘made of cheese’

Rockets have a tendency to ‘aqua plane’ over mud.

Not another one of those then 🙂 You’re not really selling it as any use.
    Whats the difference between that and something slightly smaller and a better sidewall? Some big Maxxis 2.5’s out there with EXO

Northwind

I never flatted mine but I totally expected to, it’s a big light tyre so inevitably it’s stretched a bit thin. Skinny Rons are pretty much a race tyre too.

lustyd
    Free Member

What pressure was it at when you gashed it? Was it the snakeskin version?

ianpv
    Free Member

I bought northwind’s roro and destroyed it in two rides. Also just put a 30mm split in a 29er racing ralph yesterday. My brief flirtation with Schwalbe is over..

terrahawk
    Free Member

Schwalbe tyres have made me the Continental Man I am now.

jonswhite

I’d just stay off the MTL…….

funkweasel
    Free Member

EXO casing Maxxis didn’t last long for me, sidewalls made of cheese.
    the DD casing on the other hand – lasted for ‘Ard Rock’s worst stuff. Shame they weigh as much as a reliant robin on their own, but stand up to anything so far.

GregMay
    Free Member

Crap tyre in failure shocker! Call the Mail.

Get some better tyres. Move on. It’s ok.

ferrals
    Free Member

I love schwalbe tyres, with the snakeskin casing they are pretty decent IMO

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You need the snake-skin versions of schwalbe, anything else is asking to walk home

MrSparkle

Hello Warren. I have nothing to contribute to this but, hey, How’re you doing?

shermer75
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

lustyd – Member

What pressure was it at when you gashed it? Was it the snakeskin version?
    Surely this is mostly irrelevant as it was a cut, not a snake bite?

ianpv
    Free Member

…this is a bit beyond anchovies. Snake skin racing ralph, on a rooty but not rocky trail… there is a fair bit of duct tape acting as a boot here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate of mine had a mare with a 2.8RR on the rear at Laggan yesterday.

Schwalbe, never on the rear.

Hello Warren. I have nothing to contribute to this but, hey, How’re you doing?

I’m alright now the swellings gone down. And as far as a contribution goes I’d say it was more useful than some of the plebs on here. 8/10.

Northwind

ianpv – Member

I bought northwind’s roro and destroyed it in two rides

Oh. Sorry! I only used it for a couple of rides too, just long enough to decide I wasn’t really into this plus thing. Thing is, people want big tyres but they don’t want the weight. My normal 2.4s are about 800, 900g, so it was probably daft of me to fit 3.0s that weighed less…

I suppose it depends where they save the weight from. Inbetween the knobs or sidewall. Even the knobs are hollowed out on the Rons. I’m still holding out for a 2.8 continental.

ianpv
    Free Member

Oh. Sorry! I only used it for a couple of rides too

😀
    It was in great condition when I got it – it just didn’t like BPW much!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘The industrial fells ate my rocket, Ron.’ is closed to new replies.