Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 183 total)
  • the idiotic cyclist thread
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Where I grew up (in the UK), “trousers” are called pants.

American embassy?

GrahamS

Where I grew up (in the UK), “trousers” are called pants.

pants noun

1) British underpants or knickers.

2) chiefly North American trousers

3) British informal rubbish; nonsense: he thought we were going to be absolute pants

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pants?q=pants

ransos
    Free Member

American embassy?

Or Lancashire…

Lancastrians and Americans are correct: they’re called “underpants”, not “undertrousers”.

discoduck
    Free Member

Whilst I have an unhealthy hatred towards any one who is NOT a professional rider wearing Lycra I still cannot condone it because I genuinely believe that the person is riding riding their bike for a reason, be it because they are FAST in their mind ? They are reliving their youff, they could have been a pro but had a snapped clavicle or a nasty off on a greasy surface rendering their career over before it began,

For reference see all the 40 year old David Beckham wannabes littered across the country on a Saturday morning busting out of their track suits teaching kids football, if it hadn’t been for that broken metatarsal they could have been worth £83 million !

Any way, I digress if that 1 person can only enlighten another person to perch on that seat then we get another cyclist,

I wear black when I ride, sometimes with no helmet, but I do this to piss people off on the off chance I can have a good debate in front of said gobby bastards wife his kids and friends on a trail in the middle of nowhere !
    I usually win that debate and push it that little bit further by swearing in front of his kids just to see how brave he really is ?
    Bike riding is really an extension of your personality “well for me it is” you can generally see this by the bikes that some folk ride, boring bastards always ride the same MTB’s ! They always drive Audis or BMW’s and they always know best !
    But at least they are riding their bike !

It’s not even difficult to do, it’s just that some people like to believe they are so much better at it than every one else, BUT its still called bike riding or as my Dad used to say, there’s them that ride bikes and then there’s bike riders !

edlong
    Free Member

see all the 40 year old David Beckham wannabes littered across the country on a Saturday morning busting out of their track suits teaching kids football

Yeah, what’s all that about? Getting up at the crack of dawn to mark out the pitches on match day in all sorts of weathers, giving up their free time to pass on the game they love to the next generation, enduring the abuse (and worse) from know-it-all parents who are incensed that their little golden boy isn’t up front where he should be, giving kids something constructive to do that encourages team spirit rather than hanging around breaking stuff…Sad losers, let’s all sneer at them.

aracer
    Free Member

Not the only one though. Anyone think it is a good idea to cycle round roundabouts in left lane even if they are going right??

Except it doesn’t actually advise that any more – on the contrary, the tone is such as to suggest it’s not a good idea (it suggests what you should do to make it safer if you do do that). The advice is now actually to follow the same rules as other vehicles. There certainly are other dodgy bits of cycling advice, but not that one.

GrahamS

Except it doesn’t actually advise that any more – on the contrary, the tone is such as to suggest it’s not a good idea

It used to. It has changed a bit, though it still mentions it.

I think it would do a LOT better to outright advise against it.

You may feel safer walking your cycle round on the pavement or verge. If you decide to ride round keeping to the left-hand lane..

and

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to..

cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so.

GrahamS

Otherwise you get people like this muppet misinformed chap quoting it as advice to cyclists!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a03Evzv4W_4[/video]

creedy
    Free Member

Just to get back to the OP. Was commuting back from west brompton to watford on train. Had my brommie folded up nicely tucked away behind me, so not to get to many’that bikes taking up to much space’ crap. When at Olympia a bloke got on with a foldy Dahon,brand new, and didnt fold it down! I get enough abuse on that route without idiots coming on with unfolded fold up bikes!!!! Then started getting annoyed cos people were touching his new bike! fold it idiot!!!

discoduck
    Free Member

Edlong, no prizes for guessing what you will be wearing on Saturday morning then ?

And, I must have written my post wrong As I was trying liken one to the other,
    MAMILS. Not right ! But I don’t really care as long as it encourages riding bikes,

Golden Balls. Again not right with their copycat tattoos cheap Audi cabrios, ugly birds and beer guts, again not right but flaying football on a field with a wanabee pro footballer littered with dog shit is still playing football its just that some people like to raise their profile by pretending that not everyone can do it !

By the way, GT85 on the zipper will see it straight over the midriff

lemonysam
    Free Member

Does anyone have a clue what discoduck’s point is?

discoduck
    Free Member

Oh and if you want to encourage kids to do something constructive Ive found that swearing on the pitch at the ref is a poor role model by any body’s standards, and team spirit in football ?

Try Rugby !

edlong
    Free Member

duckie, I don’t own a tracksuit and can’t play footie to save my life (I think it was considered “common” at my school – we only played rugby union in winter) – that’s why I’m pathetically grateful to the coaches at my son’s club, who put in a lot of time, usually without much thanks or appreciation.

On topic: some dick on a bike not looking properly before turning right at a crossroads, cutting across another cyclist, a proper “SMIDSY”. That dick = me

GrahamS

Don’t drink in the afternoon?

discoduck
    Free Member

My point is, if you don’t like it don’t come on here moaning about it like women in a corner shop.

Speak up and tell them them that they’re fat useless **** or dangerous or pig headed for not folding their bikes up on a packed commuter train !

People moaning in forums and shouting out “yeah you who rode the wrong way round a roundabout” on the off chance that they are on here is pathetic, I do lots of things that I’m not supposed to do ! If you don’t like what others do then tell them !

Little Britain

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Prejudice

discoduck
    Free Member

Don’t be pathetically gratefull !

Join in and help Coach the team ? It’s not difficult and having played the game yourself your skills knowledge and little tricks will become invaluable, I’ve given up my Sundays for the past 3 years to coach the team my 9 year old plays in, its stopped me riding my bike on a Sunday morning and I get to strut about on the pitch in shorts with all the fit mums laughing at my legs !!!!!!!

core

The attitude of some people staggers me, it’s as if all motorists are out to kill cyclists and should always go out of their way to accommodate you, courtesy is a two way thing, and as nice as it is for some of you to post excerpts from the highway code, we all know that best practice and following the recommended guidance isn’t always possible, and isn’t always necessary.

We’re all road users, all entitled to our bit of road, and I’m as enraged as anyone by dangerous driving, but as both a cyclist and driver I can see both sides of the argument, and for me it’s not clear cut, not all drivers are the devil, and the majority of cyclists I see on the road could learn a LOT.

lemonysam
    Free Member

, it’s as if all motorists are out to kill cyclists and should always go out of their way to accommodate you

rusty90
    Free Member

I have an unhealthy hatred towards any one who is NOT a professional rider wearing Lycra

I know, I feel the same about people wearing Goretex who aren’t professional mountaineers. Bloody Chris Bonnington wannabees. Probably dreaming they’re climbing Everest when they’re just wandering about Snowdonia 😀
    Or maybe they’re wearing it because it’s suitable for the task in hand?
    (Excluding the dick I saw wearing full Sky rainbow jersey kit. And no, it wasn’t Cav, unless he’s let himself go a bit)

discoduck
    Free Member

What’s wrong with ventile ? And this is only my opinion I don’t expect any one to agree, Gore-tex is shit !

Great if you want to stand round looking good shit if you have to conduct any kind of excercise in it !

ransos
    Free Member

Try Rugby !

Bloodgate, biting, gouging?

Good call.

discoduck
    Free Member

Thank you sir !

No arguing and name calling, stood up one minuite flat on your back the next, then after the final whistle stood in the bar buying each other a pint !

If the ref says its an infringement then its an infringement, not oooooh let’s gang up on the one with the spindly legs and see if we can sway his decision making !

ransos
    Free Member

No arguing and name calling, stood up one minuite flat on your back the next, then after the final whistle stood in the bar buying each other a pint !

Nah, instead they just try to blind each other, or mutilate each other’s genitals. Role models to be sure.

aracer
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member

oi – you stole my line!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Aracer – I posted 3 anecdotes as otherwise I could have written a book!

For balance on my commute home tonight I ride along a stretch of singletrack road – just about enough space for a transit and a bike at its widest. A pair of MAMIL’s come round a blind corner towards me 2 a breast. If I’d been in a car even doing 5 mph they’d have hit me.

On the other hand there was a taxi driver with a cup of coffee in one hand and his phone clamped to his ear with the other.

I’d say a score draw for tonight!

However at least motorists have to pas a test of competence even if they then sometimes ignore the rules. A cyclist can go down a rural A road with the ability to do nothing more than ride without stabilisers!

There is a generation of riders now who missed cycling proficiency and Bikeability and their riding is scary! I wouldn’t support mandatory training as a bike should be about freedom, but a good number of riders out there could really do with something to help them stay alive.

On the plus side the vast, vast majority of road users do try very hard not to hit each other, hence the relative lack of incidents.

dadster21
    Free Member

Interesting situation on the way home from work. Guy jumps a red light in London Queen Victoria Street. Two mounted police (on horses that is) ride out in front of him. Stop him and give him an instant fine. Would have been a sight if he decided to try and make a run (or cycle) for it – two police on horseback galloping after him……..

aracer
    Free Member

However at least motorists have to pas a test of competence even if they then sometimes ignore the rules.

GrahamS

A pair of MAMIL’s come round a blind corner towards me 2 a breast. If I’d been in a car even doing 5 mph they’d have hit me.

Or more likely they’d have heard you coming.

On the other hand there was a taxi driver with a cup of coffee in one hand and his phone clamped to his ear with the other.
    I’d say a score draw for tonight!

Interesting scoring system. Some MAMILs who could have scratched some paintwork versus an inattentive professional driver who could have killed someone.

However at least motorists have to pas a test of competence…

Doesn’t seem to have done much good though does it, based on your score tonight.

I’m not against cycle training. It’s a good thing. But given that drivers are at fault in 68% of car/bike accidents, whereas cyclists are at fault in 20%, I have to wonder if you are pushing for the right group to get extra training?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

the idiotic cyclist thread
    149 posts & 77 voices | Started 1 day ago by yunki

Reporting for duty, sir.

rsl1
    Free Member

not much experience of city cyclists but I do get annoyed at roadies with 2 million lumen lights aimed straight at my face, on flash (which is illegal?).
    a lot of people seem to be justifying riding like a t*** because some car drivers do it too… sounds a bit like primary school to me. Surely your conversation is never too important to do the considerate, safest thing and pull into single file whilst a car goes past?
    I ride to uni on a bus lane, solves a lot of these problems – theyre great! (probably change my view if I had a car down there 😉 )

Northwind

rsl1 – Member

Surely your conversation is never too important to do the considerate, safest thing and pull into single file whilst a car goes past?

Missing the point much? Riding 2 abreast lets you control the lane and prevents people from trying to squeeze past you. As discussed up the page… Highway Code says give bikes as much space as you would a car, but hardly anybody actually does that… But often, if there’s not space to pass 2 bikes side by side, then there’s not space to safely pass one bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rsl1 – Member
    Surely your conversation is never too important to do the considerate, safest thing and pull into single file whilst a car goes past?

Driver pulls out to pass line of cyclists then pulls back into the line when a car comes the other way…

rsl1
    Free Member

im talking empty country road here, riding two abreast would surely mean even moving fully into the opposite lane, the car is very close to the outer bike – you’re forcing people to squeeze past whereas there is plenty of space if in single file.
    2 cyclists wheel on wheel are the length of a car… I’ve never felt the need to ‘pull back into’ the side of a car as I pass. I suppose you can’t escape that there are bad drivers who will do that though.

aracer
    Free Member

im talking empty country road here

A road which is so narrow that cars have to squeeze past cars coming in the opposite direction? If not, then there is plenty of room for a car to overtake cyclists riding two abreast – have you not noticed that cyclists riding two abreast are a lot narrower than a car and only take up about half a normal carriageway, so if the car does go into the opposite lane it will give the outer cyclist more room than most drivers give a single cyclist when overtaking.

I’ve never felt the need to ‘pull back into’ the side of a car as I pass.

Neither do most drivers – partly because they won’t try to overtake another car in a situation where that might become necessary, partly because they’re conscious of the over car being there and don’t want to dent theirs. Neither of which considerations apply when they overtake cyclists for many drivers.

I suppose you can’t escape that there are bad drivers who will do that though.

Congratulations, I think you might have got the point.

I do despair a bit that even on a forum supposedly for cyclists people still don’t get that singling out isn’t actually safer for cyclists or helpful for drivers (unless of course they’re prepared to overtake dangerously, in which case we come back to the first point) – even when the point has already been explained several times in the same thread!

Sandwich

we all know that best practice and following the recommended guidance isn’t always possible, and isn’t always necessary.

Any other approach is the vehicle operator/road user making it up as he/she goes along. Don’t interpret the “rules” that’s for the law to do.

senorj

There’s also the idiot cyclist who didn’t charge his lights before the commute home last night.
    Pillock. ( I had a little flasher light from potters bar to home) 😳

GrahamS

Don’t interpret the “rules” that’s for the law to do.

Except for the rules that are utter nonsense. Feel free to ignore those ones 😀

ormondroyd
    Free Member

However at least motorists have to pas a test of competence even if they then sometimes ignore the rules. A cyclist can go down a rural A road with the ability to do nothing more than ride without stabilisers!

Here is just one of the reasons why motorists have to pass a test, and cyclists don’t.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Stats on people killed on pavements by motor vehicles are particularly horrible. For every (vanishingly rare) pedestrian killed by a cyclist on a pavement, there are over *150* pavement deaths caused by motorists.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘the idiotic cyclist thread’ is closed to new replies.