Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Hurt Locker
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Opinions please

jimmy

i wanna see it

DezB
    Free Member

Some interesting ones here

MrSparkle

Ditto

domwells27
    Free Member

Got the bluray on it's way to me now. Hope i've not made the wrong decision after reading the above link :S

backhander
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it as did Mrs bh. Great film IMHO.

eth3er
    Free Member

One of my favourite films of last year. A very good film indeed.

noteeth
    Free Member
    Digger90
    Free Member

Watched in on a plane to the US last year.

Quite enjoyed it…. good enough film but it's not great. For me, it was a bit similar to Jarhead – watchable, but not gripping.

Jamie
    Free Member

It is good, but a bit overhyped. It is true it is not really a war movie, more a film about how one individuals self destructive behaviour can affect others.

If you want to watch the best recent war film watch Battle for Haditha.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Not seen it so can't comment.

But I would recommend watching Generation Kill.

jim29
    Free Member

Ok, I'll say it. It's shit

CaptJon
    Free Member

It's great. Nice and subtle.

Ti29er
    Free Member

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL
    One of my most loathed films ever.
    It has no redeeming features at all. I could not wait for it to end.

See previous thread on this forum for many opinions as it was covered 2 weeks ago in some depth.

HERE

CaptJon
    Free Member

Just read those comments. Two things strike me about those who didn't like it:

1. They thought it was primarily about the Iraqi war
    2. They were looking for accuracy in the detail of being a soldier in terms of kit

As i understood the film it is not primarily about either of those things. It is about James' relationship with war, and all the twists and turns that involved.

Ti29er
    Free Member

For a film such as this to work, & let's not forget, this is a current topic as in the present tense, we need a scenario and believable action and characters that we can believe in.
    Apart from the setting the director and the actors and scrip writers fail on every level.
    Rarely do I come away feeling completely cheated.
    The film annoyed me at every point, I found myself being at first sceptical, then bemused, then annoyed and very frustrated.
    In the end, I was picking fault in everything, even, at the end, down to camera angles when I could not find actual fault with the film itself – that's how much it failed to entertain me!

Like I said, not since The Blair Witch Project did I want to actually step into the film and sort things out for them, so annoyed and frustrated by the characters had I become.

Avoid like the plague & for goodness sake, someone put James out of his misery and shoot the guy as at this rate there'll be a part 2!

johnners
    Free Member

Goodness me! To call it

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL

is just absurd.

And you're just getting totally carried away with hyperbole to say

Apart from the setting the director and the actors and scrip writers fail on every level.

Whereas

it failed to entertain me!

sounds a bit more like it.

I thought it was OK, quite exciting but it's been a bit overpraised IMO. I don't think it says anything that hasn't been said already but it's an entertaining enough way to pass a couple of hours.

Ti29er
    Free Member

ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

Really, I'm surprised & shocked that some people actually managed this film with less than loathing. Some actually liked it, but then some like Coronation St or East Enders several times a week!
    This response below is from a web forum that sums it up well as this critic too is surprised by peoples' inability to separate "Ooooh! Look at that! Action-packed" from "Awful, but action-packed".

"As 'critic of the year' I am surprised by this review. This film is flawed in the extreme and the scene in which Ralph Fiennes is present is the most alarming of all. Bomb Tech. Will James would have been killed or Court Marshaled long before he'd disarmed 3 IED's let alone 873 as he states in the movie, if he acted in any of the ways he does in this 2 hours of tripe."

Save 2hrs of Purgatory; clip your toe nails, water the garden, creosote the bathroom, trim your nasal hair, do anything but waste 2hrs of your life watching this simply awful movie, I beg you.

smogmonster

Absolutely brilliant. End of.

johnners
    Free Member

Ti, did you buy a ticket thinking it was a documentary or something? I get that you don't like it, but slating a Hollywood blockbuster for inaccuracy or implausibility is a bit odd. Some of it's really quite silly but it's an entertainment piece when all is said and done.

tankslapper
    Free Member

So divided opinion then! You either love it or hate it I guess, as I've now ordered it on love film I take the opinion that it is Holywood entertainment which means the Americans will win the war even if they turn up late to the party – ho hum!

Thanks lads – looking forward to this one and squabbling with Mrs.T!

AndyP
    Free Member

terrible name.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Watched it last night. It was alright, but do yourself a favour, rent Generation Kill (if you haven't already seen it) next.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Hurt Locker’ is closed to new replies.