Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The House Sparrow, is it making a comeback?
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

I know the House Sparrow is supposed to be in decline, but over the past month or so i’ve been spotting a lot more of them and in bigger collective numbers, 😀 anyone else agree?

martinhutch

Got loads in our garden. Attracted the attention of the local sparrowhawk last year.

Moses

Yes, definitely. I’ve seen loads this year and last, from Northumberland to Cornwall.

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s a big RSPB effort to encourage them – they helped us to set up some special sparrow feeding areas in our park, planting lots of meadow plants near hedgerows.

dmorts

Where I’ve been elsewhere in the world that the British colonised (New Zealand and Hawaii) they’ve been in abundance, pests in fact. Catch a few there and bring them back?

On another bird related note, can you cull seagulls? Well I know ‘seagulls’ don’t exist but the gulls that appear to be in abundance (especially where school children buy their lunch from)

anagallis_arvensis

In the last few months they bred and fledged. It will be winter that limits the numbers

maccyb
    Free Member

On another bird related note, can you cull seagulls? Well I know ‘seagulls’ don’t exist but the gulls that appear to be in abundance (especially where school children buy their lunch from)

Definitely not – ironically given their urban pest status, they’re endangered, particularly the herring gull which is usually the more menacing variety. They’re only coming inland and scavenging because we’ve destroyed their normal food sources of coastal fish…

RSPB info

derek_starship
    Free Member

Yes. Definitely seeing greater numbers recently. Back in position on the guttering and chirruping away. Great to see.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My Pyracantha is alive with spuggies

Andy-R

We’ve got loads living in the back wall of our house.

MoreCashThanDash

We’ve had them nesting and fledging around us for a few months it seems. Regularly see the adults teaching the newly fledged sparrows what a bird feeder is for 😀

IdleJon

It would be easier to cull the schoolchildren who are making the mess? 😉

(I live in a seaside town, no problems with gulls around here, other than tourists being afraid for their ice-creams. A problem which I’ve never had, for gluttonous reasons. However, a recent trip to Plymouth and fish and chips on the seafront was amusing. So many people being hassled by birds, and all the birds were doing was staring, then waddling towards the chip-eaters…)

marthall
    Free Member

Loads in our wildflower meadow at the moment, stripping seeds in great flocks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The House Sparrow, is it making a comeback?’ is closed to new replies.