Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The house parties of our youth
  • SaxonRider

Growing up in the eighties, my family’s house was the site of many parties, mostly hosted by my older brother, and mostly with the permission of my parents.

Fortunately, as rowdy as they could get, we managed to escape many of the worst things that could happen at house parties. Probably the worst thing I remember is someone killing all the fish in one of my tanks when they decided to serve them whiskey.

One party I attended, though, topped them all when, just moments after my girlfriend and I left, someone pulled the entire china cabinet from the wall and smashed it and all of its contents on the floor. It must have weighed a tonne.

We’re talking one of those HUGE American china cabinets. Like this:

Apparently it was the neighbours who heard the crash and called the police, so bringing the party to an inauspicious end.

What party-based disasters do you remember, and what era are we talking?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Was Chad Hogan at your party?

You know Chad Hogan right?

SPRIIIIING BREEAAAK!

SaxonRider

I had never heard of Chad Hogan until now, but I can assure you that I am far, far too introverted to have been anywhere near the sort of party associated with that character!

mrlugz
    Free Member

Late 80’s early 90’s seemed to be the era of the house party for me. Worst that happend at a one I hosted was a fag burn in the bath.

Worst I saw was a cider and black vom onto the carpet disguised by moving the armchair.

A lot of in between shenanigans that let me to completley ban any kind of unaccompanied teenage gathering at my own house now. On pain of death.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er.. house parties? Last party I had in my house I had a birthday cake in the shape of my age. I’m so square you could use me to make furniture.

binners

SPRING BREAK!!!!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH8Mrf2Ooo[/video]

doris5000

nothing major as a teenager.

one favourite as an adult (not my house) was when the party raged so long, that at lunchtime on saturday the bookies downstairs came up to complain about the noise!

4130s0ul
    Free Member

mid 80’s house party / birthday party. I managed to do “the caterpillar” into their parents TV, knocking it off the stand and watching it topple super slow-mo onto the floor killing it dead. just as well it was slow-mo too as that giant CRT would’ve weighed a tonne!

another one of our proper house parties (circa late 90’s) we told all our neighbours that one of us was getting married and that we were having a house party / stag do…it lasted over 2 days. we didn’t have anywhere to set up the decks so took a door off it’s hinges, drilled holes in each corner of the door and also into the ceiling and rigged up some ropes around the ceiling joist to set up a floating dj stand. we also then had to pretend X & Y were married for some time after to justify all the racket

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How does structural damage to the property count?

Partially collapsed floor of a flat meant a quick end to the party and caused the host and their downstairs neighbours to be rehoused by the council.

finbar
    Free Member

I jumped off a roof once and hurt my ankle pretty badly, but the roof was fine 😀

dlr

I recall a house party in my first year of uni student house on the campus. Turned into a food and water fight. A shredded weight in the face from 3m draws blood…..we ended up having to iron the carpet throughout in an attempt to dry it. Got away with a one and final warning from the UNI….

wrightyson
    Free Member

92 at a girl called daves (name changed for security reasons) house in our little village called Hopton, just near carsington res so not exactly a nightlife hotbed. It started off as a quiet affair with maybe 15 of us. Alice (dave) got off her head and was busy with a lad so wasn’t bothered. Unfortunate the local Yoof turned up who I fortunately knew a few of. It then turned in to utter mayhem. Crown Derby plates were launched through the windows on to the road, a perfect circular hole in the top floor window saw the demise of the black ball from the pool table, her uncles suits were daubed with boot Polish, someone took to the bathroom with a bottle of baby oil then went nuts with the pot pourri basically sticking it to everything now daubed with said oil, the lawnmower and chainsaw went missing, several videos rented for our quiet evening went missing, I recall one pissed lad just lean over and vomit on the carpet. At this point I decided to leave as it was getting out of hand. I recall riding by the next morning and it looked like the mother of all domestic incidents had occurred. It went down in folklore and still gets talked about to this day.

milky1980
    Free Member

Regularly had a parties at a mate’s bunglalow as his mum (no dad) worked nights so it was usually an all-nighter. Only problem we ever had was when a new mate left an unopened can of beer behind the gas fire without knowing. It exploded when the heating was put on by the returning mum the next morning!

Also used to have the occasional one at the Vicarage (yep, the actual vicarage) as the vicar’s son was a mate. We always carefully covered the sofas with sheets etc and no damage was ever done in 4 years. Apart from when the vicar’s daughter came home one evening and helped with the morning clean-up and knocked over a very expensive statue, she took the rap for that one thankfully.
    That family moved out and the new vicar had 3 sons who had a reputation for rowdy nights. Went to the first house party they threw and by 10pm they’d somehow managed to drag in the entire contents of the 4 local pubs. Me and a mate legged it after a hosepipe went through the living room, complete with operating sprinkler, and reappeared out of the master bedroom window (still spraying merrily away). We heard the report of what happened afterwards from the vicar himself the next weekend – barbecues on the cooker, a waterslide down the garage roof into the pond and the police turning up ant 1am to arrest the two local drug dealers that had wandered in and were openly dealing. Suffice to say no more house parties happened after that!

finbar
    Free Member

Wrightyson, did you go to Anthony Gell by any chance?

thomthumb
    Free Member

went to one towards the end of school so 99/2000.

there were white carpets, with offcuts on top as walkways, people were happily walking mud on the offcuts, trying to keep the underneath bits clean(ish). pretty late in the evening someone said, “those offcuts are always there”. by this point they looked like they’d been used to get a 4×4 out of the mud!!

The host, had put all the expensive statues, crystal etc, in a room, locked it from the inside & climbed out the window: meaning no access to the nice stuff. great plan until he got so pissed he forgot, got in a massive rage, punched a hole in the wall before someone calmed him down and reminded him where they all were.

i remember the police turning up, but not sure what the consequences were of that.

My mate and I left before people went to sleep as we had a ride planned early doors. we were out riding by 9am saturday when we got a call from a mate of ours saying he was walking back, they’d all just been kicked out – the hosts parents came back 24 hours early!

He never had another party.

redstripe
    Free Member

I like to think the ones I went to were like Animal House but in reality they were far more like this one in the 80’s:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqquVn8Ohps[/video]

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

We had one in Bristol . All three emergency services were called as one guy fell out of a window, one guy got his face slashed in the street , some technics got nicked from ‘room 1’ and local gangs carved their tags on the doors whilst smoking crack. I still feel so so sad inside when I think about it ….. 🙁

wrightyson
    Free Member

I did finbar. Do you know of said party 😯

binners

howsyourdad1 – One of our house parties ended up very similar to that. Gatecrashed by the local drug dealing hard men, all absolutely off their heads. Someone got thrown down a flight of stairs, there was a massive brawl, someone else got knee-capped with a baseball bat, then they completely smashed the whole house up. Aaaaaah…. Happy days! 😥

tazzymtb

lots of very very hectic ones in my hazy memory:

one a nice girls house that ended up with all the skate punks and urchins in it as well as we had the best booze and drugs, had a “who can land the biggest drop and roll away” skate comp, which started of the garage roof and ended out of a second storey window. At the end of the evening when things were calming down/people passing out and so on the nice lass had gone to bed, i was still staggering about in a state…..I could hear a strange and rhythmical squeaking noise….so a brave young taz went quietly exploring and peeked into a room to find said “nice” girl diddling herself with her Alsatians large orange squeaky carrot toy…a bit of me wanted to offer assistance in relieving her tensions, but there is no way I could compete with 12 inches of happy smiling squeaky rubber… i can still vividly remember seeing this little face

going in and faster than a trombone players elbow

at another party a mate getting so mangled that he filled a bath with puke, then the sink and then as bonus gift all down the back of a radiator (got to love it when you throw an epic whitey)

one where a climbing buddy decided we should see who could speed climb the 3 floor house and into the attic window the fastest, all was going great until someone slipped and landed astride a wall, broke his pelvis and ended up in hospital with the biggest blackest bollocks I have ever seen

and one where we sort of accidentally set fire to the locals vicars house (his daughter was a total hottie and a lass of very easy virtue)

lots of others that cant be mentioned as I’m a good boy now and folks may see this 🙂

myti
    Free Member

Lived in a 10 bed house in Bristol in my uni days…oh we had some parties! A toilet got blown up but the worst thing that happened was a dare between 2 mates to jump from a second story roof garden into a tree below only he missed the tree and went straight down 2 stories to the pavement. Broken feet and spine. That was a very abrupt ending to a party. He’s OK now thankfully.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

djglover
    Free Member

In 1993 a classmate at 6th forms parents were away. He managed to clear all the furniture and carpets out of his house and fill with DJs and disco lights. A party so epic ensued that he was interviewed on the Big Breakfast about it!

At uni my housemates and I hosted a similar party, random strangers in every room in the house and inevitably, eventually the police. As the police left they said it was the only house they had ever had to wipe their feet on the way out.

PiknMix
    Free Member

So many mishaps at parties. My best mate decided the fortnight that his parents were away was a perfect time to throw one, in theory it was as they were having a new lounge\dining room carpet so all the furniture was in storage.
    The only blot on what was otherwise perfect planning was that he had it after it had been laid.
    It got ruined, mostly by about 5kg of melted candle wax (which no amount of brown paper and ironing was going to get rid of)

Another party we were all in the garden but the stereo was blasting out of an upstairs window, rather than go in the house to change tunes or volume my mate decided that climbing up the conservatory was a better option.
    in the morning we realised that the conservatory roof was battered so in a flash said mate jumped back onto the roof and jimmied all the windows so that it looked like an attempted break in!

Of course there was the party that involved power tools and screwing a couple of beside cabinets half way up the wall, I mean why wouldn’t you?

The one that so many people came to, about half my hosepipe was using in the making of bongs, hilarious moment when the Sunday after dad walked in scratching his head when the hosepipe no longer reached off the drive to wash his car, “son I think the hosepipe has shrunk”

A hot summers day when a gathering turned into a full blown party and we were having a BBQ despite not having a BBQ to have one on. Turns out that the sky dish when taken off of the wall and bent a bit works pretty effectively.

And possibly the most awkward was the one when the police were called two officers attended and unbeknown to us the girl who was annihilated on waaaaaaaay too much 20/20 and flashing her boobs around was one of their daughters. That one got closed down pretty sharpish.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Went to one party while at uni where the hosts Dad and his mates sat in the conservatory round a poker table and played poker, drank whisky and smoked all night.

Dad and mates were all ex army, so when the scrotes arrived about 1am they were faced with half a dozen large, irate blokes who weren’t happy about having their poker game interrupted by skinny kids who wanted to cause trouble.

There wasn’t any trouble and they didn’t stay long, 2 or 3 minutes.

mooman
    Free Member

The house parties I went to in my younger days just don’t seem as funny recalling them now as before.
    Lots of alcohol and women … and almost always ended with the police.
    One of the main rules about house parties was – never have one in your own house!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

ZOMFG

This thread’s taken me to some dark recesses

Keeping it light, I sort of remember barfing about two litres of cheap white wine down the grate above the cellar window of a mates house, bet that was fun to clean out.

Also a friend of a friend and his friends once brought a bottle of pharmaceutical grade ketamine round, microwaved it to powder snorted and then they all collapsed (a lot like tranquillised horses) to the ground unconscious, had to lay them out on the patio and periodically check their airways were clear

Then there was the time I had a mushroom whitey and all I could see was like a detuned TV screen but purple for an hour or so

Luckily we also had access to a field by a lake where much of this youthful energy was expended without causing too much damage, except to the speed boat and the cars and the fences…….

and this is keeping it light.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh this has prompted some memories 😯

I Risca at a party which was really good, lots of thrashing around in the living room which all came to a stop as a tree lopper appeared through an open window and cut the light fitting off the ceiling 😆 utter pandemonium ensued with everything getting trashed and a bunch of us running along the canal from the police.

I still have no idea whose party it was of who was on the other end of the tree lopper.

johnx2
    Free Member

…started reading the thread thinking ‘I could win this…’ And then I look for the memories and they’re just not there, just a big bag of blurry impressions as ^^ with some dark corners.

Basically, I nipped out of a party on harcourt road in 1984 to get something, forgot the house and I’m still trying to find the right door to get back in:

“Where’ve you been?” “That was a wierd one. Thought I was middleaged for a bit there staring at some kind of screen like a telly but oblong and flat…”

finbar
    Free Member

I did finbar. Do you know of said party

Nah, but I went there too and it sounded like something we’d have got up to as well seven or eight years later. No doubt members of some of the same families would have been in attendance 😀 !

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The house parties of our youth’ is closed to new replies.