Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • The Hospital C4 last night
  • hora
    Free Member

I know the subject material didnt help but I didnt ‘enjoy'(?) watching the Hospital last night. Enjoy is an emotive word and possibly not correct. Next week though, I can understand the subject its psychiatric NOT people who are ‘greedy bastards’. Compulsive eating disorders are terrible.

GrahamS

No what I’m saying is that we have an NHS, we have a welfare system; these if they are in place they will be abused by a minority, fact, end of story. Now obviously we want to minimise this abuse of the system, but the abuse of the NHS system wont be helped by looking at what the NHS does.

I’m not sure that is what is being suggested.

The programme focuses on some of the headline-making strains the NHS is under and shows some of the reality behind those headlines.

I don’t think it attempts to suggest solutions to this. In fact in both episodes so far the central doctors have said they don’t know how to address it or what we do about it.

Seems to me that this is just the first step: getting people to recognise that it’s not just “those whinging doctors” and that things genuinely can’t continue as they are.

Once that is recognised then what we do to address it is up for debate, which is where your points about education, job creation and welfare reform come in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I couldnt work in healthcare – I’d likely commit suicide within a year, too many depressingly ungrateful people, too many depressingly self-destructive people blocking help to those who aren’t self destructive. Systems stretched to breaking point, staff the same – what a life. I’d need a **** high wage just to cover the cost of the holidays and lifestyle I’d need just to remain positive over it all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    noteeth
    Free Member

stretched to breaking point

How very dare you! I just sit at the nurses’ station, getting fat on endless tins of Quality Street. Apparently. 😈

anagallis_arvensis

I just went to hospital to see my surgeon about my hip, not good news but thats not my point. My point is a big sign on the wall said “this NHS trust will not treat violent or abusive patients” or words to that effect. MAde me think of this thread.

TinMan
    Free Member

sign on the wall said “this NHS trust will not treat violent or abusive patients”

Unfortunately, a lot of the time, it is just what it is… just a sign.
    As you saw, the duty of care is incredibly strong, and the consequences of not caring are headlines for the Daily Wail.

TinMan
    Free Member

I’m mainly pleased that this excellent programme is stimulating debate.

Free at the point of care becomes more unaffordable every year as people expect more and more. At least between this and other programmes we are getting more of an idea as to where the money goes.

dr_death
    Free Member

Bad news Hora, I just watched the preview of next weeks show and they all seem to be fat giffers who eat far too much…

GrahamS

MrsGrahamS takes the diabetes clinics, so she has heard the “But all I eat is lettuce” line hundreds of times.

Looking forward to watching that episode with her.

dr_death
    Free Member

One of my favourites was a fat lass telling an anaesthetist I was in with that all she ate was salad to which his reply was (muttered under his breath)

“What do you eat, **** trees?!”

Difficult to stiffle a giggle….

notlocal
    Free Member

It’s a sad fact that drunks end up in A&E because the Police & Ambulance staff have a percieved “duty of care” to protect these idiots from themselves. Go out with the intention of drinking until you can’t control your limbs and bladder, then blame somebody else when you aspirate your own vomit. Unfortunately this is part of the blame culture we seem to be adopting from Uncle Sam. When did we stop taking responsibility for ourselves and our actions.
    I, luckily, work on a rural ambulance station so don’t get the abuse from drunks my city based colleagues “enjoy”. It is hard to remain proffessional and compassionate when dealing with your 8th “casualty” of the shift during a weekend.

Your spelling suffers too “professional” 😳

anagallis_arvensis

Free at the point of care becomes more unaffordable every year as people expect more and more.

Its not unaffordable at all we can afford it easily, we could stop fannying about in Iraq and Afganistan for a start and get rid of nuclear missiles etc……. job done. There’s two elements though the first is that more treatments are available, but I believe we can afford these we just need to decide what our priorities are. The second is how much extra pressure does lack of education and poverty put on the NHS could the NHS save more if more was spent elswhere and would the balance then be lower?

hora
    Free Member

Bad news Hora, I just watched the preview of next weeks show and they all seem to be fat giffers who eat far too much…
    No, Im living in hope that it shows people with psychological problems. After all drunks arent simply thirsty alot are they? 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

Its not unaffordable at all we can afford it easily, we could stop fannying about in Iraq and Afganistan for a start and get rid of nuclear missiles etc……. job done.

Oh please! Why dont you go and get nailed to a cross? As you are clearly the saviour of the modern world. 😯

Perhaps if the NHS wasn’t swamped with drunkards in A&E in the first place they would have more money to treat proper patients. Rather than deal with idiots who cant take responsibility for their own actions. Anyone who threatens a member of A&E should be chucked out, if they cant behave reasonably they should forfeit the right to be treated.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh please! Why dont you go and get nailed to a cross?

Dont know much about religion but arent I a week late?

Perhaps if the NHS wasn’t swamped with drunkards in A&E in the first place they would have more money to treat proper patients.

You seem such a nice chap! I’m not sure you’ve read what I’ve written in this thread, why dont you go back and try again really hard. If there are any words you dont understand as they dont use them in the Daily Mail try looking in a dictionary.

Anyone who threatens a member of A&E should be chucked out, if they cant behave reasonably they should forfeit the right to be treated.

Nope you certainly havent read what I’ve put in this thread.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I got bored reading wot u rote.

anagallis_arvensis

yet you felt able to comment, good for you 🙄 glad to see there’s a place for all on this board.

GrahamS

Its not unaffordable at all we can afford it easily, we could stop fannying about in Iraq and Afganistan for a start and get rid of nuclear missiles etc……. job done.

Conversely, if we could save some of the money currently being poured into the NHS to deal with these folk then we could afford proper body armour for our troops and better missiles 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thank you Graham S!
    a_a you really must be a great teacher to have such an open mind to any opinion which differs from your own.
    Oh and crucifixion isn’t just for easter you know!

GrahamS

Actually I wasn’t supporting you 🙂

I disagree with your assertion that “if they cant behave reasonably they should forfeit the right to be treated.”

Treatment should be available to everyone, even nobbers.
    Though I do believe that staff should have suitable backup and be able to take appropriate action to protect themselves.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My point is that people doing an already difficult job deserve to be treated with respect without fear of violence.

If these morons cant behave then why should they be treated the same?
    I realise that the doctors have a duty of care and they cant simply abandon or ignore these persons.
    Perhaps they should have a medical cell in the police station.

anagallis_arvensis

Conversely, if we could save some of the money currently being poured into the NHS to deal with these folk then we could afford proper body armour for our troops and better missiles

true.

My point is that people doing an already difficult job deserve to be treated with respect without fear of violence.

which was my point earlier in the thread if you’d bothered to read it.

a_a you really must be a great teacher to have such an open mind to any opinion which differs from your own.

Thanks, although seeing as how you started by suggesting I should be nailed to a cross, forgive me if I dont appreciate your praise.

hora
    Free Member

Hitler has alot to answer for. The repurcussions of the mid-20th century are still being felt now. Without hitler we would have a moral enforceable-code where you would have to prove your suitability to be a parent in the Western World?

(I didnt do Sociology or Philosophy but I imagine my question above features in the 1st year of such A levels) 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

Didnt do English either did you?

anagallis_arvensis

I suppose without Hitler we might not have set up the NHS, so it wasnt all bad 😳

GrahamS

Possibly, though we have Clement Attlee and his Labour government to thank for the NHS and most of the welfare state.

Was just learning about him on Radio 4 the other day.
    Boring bloke with no charisma, but somehow he lead the country through serious change.

anagallis_arvensis

Boring bloke with no charisma, but somehow he lead the country through serious change.

The war had brought the country together,common purpose and all that

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘The Hospital C4 last night’ is closed to new replies.