• This topic has 41 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • The Hope HB.211
  • sharkattack

Why is the grass all white? Some kind of malnourishment issue?

kimbers

needs bigger wheels 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

But I’m in the market for a new bike now!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    russyh
    Free Member

Amazing that a company whom has made its fortune selling anodised bits of alloy has gone for something so stealth! Most Un-hope like. Cranks are still shit mind

bigjim

Have they named it after a strain of bird flu?

sharkattack

Why is it named after a pencil? Is it the same shade of grey?

Riksbar

It’s named after the Rolls RB211 engine, the B in RB211 standing for Barnoldswick. Of course using carbon fibre in the RB211 bankrupt RR.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The name is inspired by Hope’s home town of Barnoldswick, which sits on the border of Lancashire and North Yorkshire and is home to the site Rolls Royce’s RB211 jet engines were designed in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Weren’t Hope born out of something to do with Rolls Royce?

woodster

No pedals I see. I’d recommend some Boomslangs if they’re struggling to find some nice ones! 😉

tomhoward

Any advance on £10k and a 2 year waiting list? Apparently they are producing 4 a week…

andyl
    Free Member

they were advertising for a composite engineer to work on production. I was so bloody tempted to apply but it’s quite an upheaval from Somerset to Barnoldswick.

legend
    Free Member

130mm x 17mm rear end can **** right off

Stevet1
    Free Member

I like the look of that. Any details on geometry, looks shorter than a lot of recently released frames.

ratherbeintobago

130mm x 17mm rear end can **** right off

Any particular reason?

Northwind

sharkattack – Member

Why is it named after a pencil? Is it the same shade of grey?

They’re going to release a 4B fatbike, and a longer travel 2H for harder use

AlexSimon

legend – Member

130mm x 17mm rear end can **** right off The PB article said they are only doing full builds, no frame-only.
    So it probably doesn’t matter much.

chakaping
    Free Member

Any advance on £10k and a 2 year waiting list? Apparently they are producing 4 a week…

I think it’s gonna be a case of “if you have to ask…”

legend
    Free Member

The PB article said they are only doing full builds, no frame-only.

That obviously helps, but proprietary parts still suck in general. Could be worse hubs to be tied to I suppose

matt007
    Free Member

Barnoldswick is where they make a lot of the rolls Royce fan blades, maybe some other bits too. I think a load of the hope guys are ex RR. Pretty sure there aren’t any design offices up there though, most of RR’s design work is done here in Derby.

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

The PB article said they are only doing full builds, no frame-only.

Till you want to put in your second set of wheels, or swap them between your 2 bikes, or you break something on holiday and you try and find a 130x17mm rear wheel in a bike shop in Chamonix.

Suppose it’ll also depend on exactly how the hubs come out… They might be fantastic, or they might be basically funny sized Pro 4s- which are decent enough, but not what I’d want in my money-no-object **** chariot. OTOH lots of potential customers wouldn’t dream of fitting anything but Hope to one of these so maybe it’s not important.

ratherbeintobago

They will be funny-sized Pro 4s. I thought the original intent of the HB.211 was for Hope to do basically what they wanted with no reference to standards?

honourablegeorge

I’d be surprised if the narrow hub made production, was fine as an engineering excercise

core

What’s this 17 x 130mm business all about then? 17mm axle I get, but 130mm? PB articel says something like “Hope say you only need 130mm to get everything in, zero dish, equal spoke tension” etc………

mikertroid
    Free Member

<Geek mode on> The name is an homage to the RB211 series of engines, the first triple-spool jet engines. Obviously there’s a connection with RR amongst the workforce.

Superb engine, however its protracted development (the first stage compressor blades were originally carbon and couldn’t cope with the forces involved which led to the single crystal Titanium blade) led to RR needing a government bailout and Lockheed nearly going under too as the engine was the sole option for the L-1011 TriStar being developed at that time (superb aircraft!) . Not having used any other make of Turbofan, I believe the RB211/Trent has a weight penalty over its competitors, but has better reliability and spool-up time.

It’s still in use today as an engine for gas-pumping uses as it’s so reliable and the Trent engines on B777, 787 and A330/340/350/380 aircraft are based on the RB211. <Geek mode off>

dhrider
    Free Member

What’s this 17 x 130mm business all about then? 17mm axle I get, but 130mm? PB articel says something like “Hope say you only need 130mm to get everything in, zero dish, equal spoke tension” etc………

I think you answered your own question 🙂

core

Sort of, perhaps I wasn’t very clear, they seem to be praising the benefits a narrower hub and the slimmer back end provide, which flies in the face of all this boost business.

If they’ve designed the bike from the ground up with total disregard to current standards, then you’d assume their research might follow the latest ‘advancements’ we’ve seen, no? i.e. they’d want the stiffest, strongest set up available – which is where everything seems to be heading. Don’t tell me it’s all marketing BS and not actually based on fact?

AlexSimon

Don’t tell me it’s all marketing BS and not actually based on fact?

Boost is about fitting bigger tyres. The rest is marketing BS

chakaping
    Free Member

Apparently there’s some benefit for 29in wheels too – which this bike doesn’t have.

munrobiker
    Free Member

but not what I’d want in my money-no-object **** chariot.

But they’re British. How can they NOT be the best?

Parts being made in Britain is very important to me. Far more important than whether or not they work.

zero-cool
    Free Member

At least you know that in 5-10 years when you need spareparts for your propriety hub that Hope will most likely still be able to sort you out unlike most other companies

unovolo
    Free Member

I quite like it in a understated generic looking FS kind of way,
    how long before we see Guy Martin on one?

ads678

If I had the money, I’d buy one.

I haven’t though, so I won’t. 😥

Onzadog
    Free Member

The money I can borrow or steal. The waiting time is the real stumbling block.

Northwind

Hope are pretty consistent on the hub width thing, IIRC their 150mm DH hub was designed for even spoke tensions rather than wider flanges, and they’ve never really done the “tall flanges for more stiffs” thing either.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member

I like the look of that. Any details on geometry, looks shorter than a lot of recently released frames.

Well Steve, looks like you were right, geo from the front page article-
    65.5° head angle
    74° seat angle
    416mm reach (medium size)
    340mm BB height
    435mm rear centre

Wookster

It looks really good, I love the finish! But it’s really short isn’t it? Reminds me of the nomad or Enduro from about ten years ago.

Edit, it’s the same reach as the current M Nomad. So it’s as tight as it looks.

cokie

So, 18Bikes has posted from Core bike show.
    Price: £8-9,000 for a complete bike option only
    ETA: Late 2017 (so end of 2020 then 😛 )

honourablegeorge

It is a bit short, and it’ll look even shorter by the time it’s launched.

mindmap3
    Free Member

According to a chap I know who runs a shop, they’re not being sold through all Hope dealers but you have to request to sell them. He’s estimated them at £8.5k.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘The Hope HB.211’ is closed to new replies.