Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • The Hootenanny (Paloma content).
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Speed watching Jools Holland’s annual “largely embarrassing” new year show the day after on iPlayer, when all of a sudden – Paloma Faith.

Perhaps I’m a bit late to the feast, but… wow.

Am I alone in this adoration?

bruneep

I quite enjoyed it.

Met Paloma at briefly in Aberdeen…mad as a box of frogs in a good way tho

neilthewheel

My god! She could have got that mic in her mouth sideways. 2nd rate Tina Turner karaoke act IMO. Mis-hit every low note at the start of the phrase (DO I love you….)

duckers
    Free Member

I couldnt work out if she was miming or not.

jkomo

I thought she was off her cake.
    ‘Tonight Matthew, I’m going to be…’
    Terrible.

kudos100
    Free Member

You pick Paloma Faith out of all the acts on the Hootenanny?

Jesus man you must to tone deaf.

If you are talking about looks, she is a rotter compared to Joss Stone.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hitting all the right notes is not the foundation of an entertaining performance – if you think that, you’re probably one of those tedious drearies who couldn’t “see the point” of punk.

I took “River Deep and Mountain High” to be an homage.

I dare say she didn’t have to be battered into submission to do it “properly”…

edlong
    Free Member

No, Woppit, you are far from alone. Maybe in a minority round here, but I wouldn’t worry too much about that…

If you are talking about looks, she is a rotter compared to Joss Stone.

if that’s the level of critique.

stumpy01

I thought she was one of the best bits about the hootenanny, although didn’t see all of it.
    Comes over as a bit loopy, but I like that….whenever I’ve seen her on chat shows she always comes across as a really nice, slightly mad person.

wallop

The leg shaking bit was a bit cringy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

one of those tedious drearies who couldn’t “see the point” of punk.

punk had a point ???

hilldodger
    Free Member

…..one of those tedious drearies who couldn’t “see the point” of punk

I though the PoP was to sell fashion/merchandise to tone-deaf disenchanted youth and give the impression of “sticking it to the man” while actually making “the man” even more profit.

Punk’s not dead cos it was never born, it was manufactured 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Thats fighting talk right there 😆

So the Ramones were a manufactured band eh Hilldodger? 🙄

Aaaarrrggghhhh must not bite 😆 😆

kudos100
    Free Member

Hitting all the right notes is not the foundation of an entertaining performance – if you think that, you’re probably one of those tedious drearies who couldn’t “see the point” of punk.

I quite enjoy a bit of punk, but am able to recognise a mediocre performance when I see one.

2nd rate Tina Turner karaoke act IMO

Pretty much sums it up for me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Paloma Faith. She’s a breath of fresh air. Genuine and different.
    If you like her, look up Caro Emerald as well

As for the Hooenanny (sp?) I thought it was a good gig. Only one old crusty ‘legend’ I’d never heard of who should have put the Mike down years ago, and I can’t remember his name, but the old boy from Dr Feelgood, I loved him. Proper having a good time those 3 geezers, I looked him up and he recovered from ‘terminal cancer’ 2 years ago, hence his comment about it just being good to be there. Loved it. Stripped back, raw, made me want to bounce up and down. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

So the Ramones were a manufactured band eh Hilldodger

No, I exclude the “American Punk” from my scorn as they were actually part of a real musical movement – it’s the UK bands that were the fakes, all suburban angst and teenage rebellion wrapped up in a bizzare mix of tartan bondage gear and assorted haberdashery – fashion music at it’s most crass 😆

fervouredimage
    Free Member

She’s great. Completely barking but that’s part of her appeal. Fantastic live performer. But yeah, very good point about her not being blindingly beautiful – makes me sick that these sort of ugly women are allowed to work their way into the industry and make music.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Love Paloma Faith. She is just smashing.

I won’t watch anything with Jools Holland in it though, so missed out.

Pigface
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with the way she looks

john_drummer
    Free Member

fashion music at it’s most Crass

I saw what you did there 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

not blindingly beautiful

There’s a million ‘beautiful’ women out there who all look exactly the same, sound the same, dress the same. You’d forget every one of them, but we’re TOLD they are what beauty is.
    Paloma stands out. She’s striking, she’s got character, she’s not a stick thin lollipop head either. I’d pick her over Joss Stone, and most other ‘beautiful’ women every day of the week.

I won’t watch anything with Jools Holland in it though, so missed out.

Ditto – irksome little creature

Pigface
    Free Member

He can tinkle the ivories though

scaled
    Free Member

That Ed Sheerans a bit of a monger though, ‘int he

fervouredimage
    Free Member

There’s a million ‘beautiful’ women out there who all look exactly the same, sound the same, dress the same. You’d forget every one of them, but we’re TOLD they are what beauty is.
    Paloma stands out. She’s striking, she’s got character, she’s not a stick thin lollipop head either. I’d pick her over Joss Stone, and most other ‘beautiful’ women every day of the week.

Yes, it was sort of my point.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh I see 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

But yeah, very good point about her not being blindingly beautiful – makes me sick that these sort of ugly women are allowed to work their way into the industry and make music.

I agree, it’s a disgrace. She should be forced to wear a paper bag on her head, or perhaps a burka.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Caught her at the Big Chill a few years back, having never heard of her, and she was electrifyingly good, powerful voice, amazing control, stunning stage presence, self-effacing and fun persona to boot. Her performance at this yrs hootenanny was a let down for this fan.

*stealth edit. Sarcasm detector momentarily broken.

DrJ

That Ed Sheerans a bit of a monger though, ‘int he

James Blunt without the charisma 🙂

p.s. I love Paloma too, Woppit

jerseychaz

Mad as a box of frogs – saw her at Hammersmith Apollo in November, fantastic act, Tom Jones was two rows behind us having a ball to! And her backing singers have some energy!!!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

punk had a point ???

Get off your arse.

gobuchul
    Free Member

All those slagging off punk and saying it was good for nothing.

Two words.

The Clash.

CountZero

I really like Paloma, not that I’d actually buy any of her music as it’s not to my personal taste, but she has great stage presence, is very engaging as a person while being as mad as a bag of owls, and is not unattractive.
    As far as Hootenanny is concerned it was one of the best for some considerable time, with a more interesting variety of guests than usual.
    Nice to see Joss Stone giving it some, still looking good, voice even better. Great frocks, too.
    I remember seeing her on her first ever tour with KT Tunstall as support, great gig that was.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My impression of Joss Stone was that she should stop smoking dope and eat more pies, frankly…

zippykona

The whole programme is getting a bit stale. At least that **** with the clock on his head didn’t get too much attention this year.
    And as for punk having a point….it gave us an alternative to Saturday Night Fever.

postierich
    Free Member

Where was the guy with the clock as his head?

racefaceec90

i think she is great 😀

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I for one am glad that you’ve finally found Faith. it’s a Christmas miracle.

wilburt
    Free Member

I like Jools Holland and I like the later series but the Hootenanny show is all bit false being filmed in an afternoon in June or something they should make it live or not bother.

Paloma, I just don’t get it, she’s an interesting charachter but I’m not sure she’s intresting enough to make up for not being able to sing.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

the Hootenanny show is all bit false being filmed in an afternoon in June or something

:__ (

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘The Hootenanny (Paloma content).’ is closed to new replies.