• This topic has 49 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • The Hobbit
  • rascal
    Free Member

It’s raining. I’m feeling lazy. I’ve done my chores.
    Now contemplating watching The Hobbit.
    Worth it? Enjoyed LOTR all those years ago, but having watched Game of Thrones since, will The Hobbit feel a bit twee? Will it be 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I loved TLOTR trilogy but thought the Hobbit was a bit Meh. Can’t put my finger on it, loved the book as a kid, but 3 Films was a bit much TBH.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Will it be 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back?

Uh-huh

tenfoot

It’s one short book spread over approximately 9 hours of films.

Enough said

rascal
    Free Member

Not getting good vibes…I forgot there’s 3 films too.
    Once you watch one you’re kinda committed to watching the other 2 as well…might see what else I can find!

piemonster

To be honest, just imagine Dwarves singing a bit, then running for 8 hours.

And that’s pretty much you sorted.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just watch lotr again if you are feeling tolkeinish!

mintimperial

I liked the Hobbit films, mostly. Good solid escapist nonsense. They’re a bit silly, yes, but then so’s most stuff churned out in the name of cinema.

scaredypants

It’s one SHIT book spread over approximately 9 hours of films.

johnners
    Free Member

I’d say don’t bother, all 3 of the films are over-padded and boring, and the first one is the worst of the bunch. As has been said, watch LOTR again instead.

Addendum: The Hobbit is by no means a shit book, but it’s very definitely written for children. I was about 7 when I read it.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks people.
    I’ve totally gone cold on the idea now…might watch Trainspotting, Kes or A Clockwork Orange instead…none even remotely Tolkein-esque! All seen before and all brilliant in different ways.

Christian
    Free Member

Dead mans Shoes, Dog Soldiers, Sightseer’s or Deathwatch ftw bud!

Spin
    Free Member

It’s one SHIT book spread over approximately 9 hours of films

It does have one of the best opening lines though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Loved LOTR and felt it was not long enough even with the extended edition as it missed out chunks of the books (the old radio series is more comprehensive at 13 hours and still misses bits)

However I got through the first of The Hobbit and haven’t bothered with the rest. I loved the book as a kid and more so the BBC/Spectrum/etc game (KILL THORIN 😀 ), but the films drag it out way too much and add tonnes of tedious battle stuff not in the book.

I’ll watch it all eventually, but not fussed.

jimjam
    Free Member

With the LOTR films they had to decide what scenes, details and characters were extraneous or unnecessary. The Hobbit is a 3hr story bloated out to 9hrs with nothing but extraneous or unnecessary scenes.

footflaps

The Hobbit is a 3hr story bloated out to 9hrs with nothing but extraneous or unnecessary scenes.

Yep, very glad I didn’t see it at the cinema and just downloaded it for nought.

rascal
    Free Member

The wife has just put St Elmo’s Fire on.
    God. What an utter pile of 80s cheesy shite 😯

ferrals
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    With the LOTR films they had to decide what scenes, details and characters were extraneous or unnecessary. The Hobbit is a 3hr story bloated out to 9hrs with nothing but extraneous or unnecessary scenes.

Yeah. I love the lotr books and was a bit disappointed there was nothing on the old forest and tom bombadil in the film, though I can see for people not familiar with the books it would have been a bit weird

deadkenny
    Free Member

Tom Bombadil keeps getting left out from most adaptations. Arguably he’s pointless really, but feel sorry for him 😀

Leaving out the whole of Scouring of the Shire however bugs me.

Northwind

It’s another film where the directors’ cut should be about half the length of the theatrical cut. I suppose in the end, I came out of the third film moderately happy to have seen them all but it really was crap in places. Especially the fairground ride endless fight scenes. And really, how many times should Alfrid have been stabbed to death? I’m not a violent man but put me in a fantasy movie and give me a rusty sword and I’m going to hack that ****’s head off within about 2 seconds of meeting him.

Tom Bombadil can **** off.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Northwind wins “best tshirt slogan of the day.”

I’m about to watch the third Hobbit while playing a WoWarcraft based card game.

Geek joy.

shermer75
    Free Member

If you’re looking at netflix then Babadook has just become available. Ba-ba-dook-dook-dook!!!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Babadook? Gah was totally disappointed especially after the hype, Hobbit too. Couldnt hack it 🙁

Put ye peepers on Nesbo’s ‘Headhunters’. Best thriller I’ve seen in years. Just great. Brutal but great too!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Totally wasted 2hrs watching Sinister the other night after seeing ads for Sinister 2.
    Wondered how Pt 2 could ever be commissioned following such a shit film, checked reviews of Pt2 on Rotten Tomatos.. 6%..
    Sounds about right

tymbian
    Free Member

Just watch the last one..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only on here could someone suggest dog **** soldiers. What a pile of shite.

crankboy
    Free Member

Dog Soldiers is ducking brilliant , The Hobbit was tedious tripe no way would I watch that again or the rest of the series.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you’re 12. DS is utter BS.

thebadabing

Sounds like Netflix-a-thon

Headhunters – excellent, darkly funny in places
    Enron, smartest guys in the room – just unbelievable what these guys got up to
    Daredevil the series is good but very violent
    Don’t watch sense8. I was expecting matrix 1 type story, instead it’s complete PC gone mad bollocks

Lifer
    Free Member

Bombadil is integral to the story, without him they don’t get the sword that kills the Nazgul.

Also:

The Terrible Secret of Tom Bombadil

BigDummy
    Free Member

I saw the first Hobbit, haven’t caught up on it. I rather want someone to produce a 2 hour edit, with a bit of singing. But not loads.

🙂

bigrich

there’s fan edits out there where they get the whole trilogy down to a three hour film.

that’s watchable

BigDummy
    Free Member

Ah! I have found a couple, and shall watch this week. Thanks! 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Tom Bombadil keeps getting left out from most adaptations. Arguably he’s pointless really the most important character in LOTR

mikey74
    Free Member

I love the LotR trilogy but fell asleep during all three Hobbit films at the cinema. They had their moments but ultimately they spread the material too thin.

nickc

Against the grain, they’re fine, it’s a way to pass the time. It’s not War and Peace, but it was never meant to be.

toppers3933
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    Against the grain, they’re fine, it’s a way to pass the time. It’s not War and Peace, but it was never meant to be.

POSTED 4 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

+1. Not as good as lotr and a bit too much singing but they are ok if you’ve nowt else to do.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

a group of midgets looking for a castle .. they still nowhere near after 3 hours. Very much like the other film with a load of tall people looking for a mountain but on a smaller scale

ferrals
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

Also:

The Terrible Secret of Tom Bombadil

thats a cool blog post.

I was surprised to read a lot of people dont like Tom B.

Agree that missing out the scouring of the shire was a shame

willard

Both films need more air support.

Thinking about it, combining LOTR/The Hobbit and Apocalypse Now would make something that was shorter and arguably more enjoyable.

Not sure whether orcs can surf, but Gandalf probably could

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘The Hobbit’ is closed to new replies.