Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The Hobbit.
  • ton

just been to watch it………….ace, just ace. 8)

hopefiendboy

cant wait myself

rOcKeTdOg

hmmm

mactheknife

Yep my thoughts exactly, but i am easily pleased 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Meh, in HFR its like teletubbies.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Not seen it yet but they’re seriously making it into 3 films? I’m not sure how, it’s a very short book!

RustySpanner

Linky
    to previous thread.

Going to see it again at the weekend 🙂

rosscopeco
    Free Member

So…should I take my 11 year old son to watch it ‘before’ we watch TLOTR trilogy?

RustySpanner

rosscopeco – Member

So…should I take my 11 year old son to watch it ‘before’ we watch TLOTR trilogy?
    You’ll have to wait another two years for the end of The Hobbit.

Has he read the books?
    I have mates who’ve sat through all the LOTR films without reading the books – they freely admit to not having a clue what’s going on most of the time.

muddy@rseguy

Just seen it…flippin’ brilliant 🙂

Yes, its a short book, but they were able to use a lot of the appendices from TLOTR

Underhill
    Free Member

Nah, watch LOTR and worry about The Hobbit as it comes out. It’s been made to be watched that way.

Enjoyed it, thought the 3D worked really well in some places, but also thought it is a bit schizoid in the audience it’s aimed at. Limbs & heads being lopped off, but then loads of stuff aimed at kids. Maybe I’m too old for this ****.

user-removed
    Free Member

Sounds mostly promising – off to the parents and babies screening on Monday. Hope it’s subtitled as I will be wearing ear plugs…

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from seeing it at the local IMAX: Bloomin’ fantastic, is all I can say 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

I remember seeing LOTR in the cinema back in the early noughties and really enjoyed them (one was partially spoiled by some neds who kept talking pish through a lot of it).

In the early autumn I bought the films on blu ray so that I could re-watch them and get my son (he is 9) introduced to them and he loved them.

As a result the two of us will be tootling off to the cinema to watch the first part of The Hobbit at some point over the festive break. The two of us are really looking forward to it 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Just been to see it in 3D and 48 frames per second and all that. With my mum and dad who talked even louder than usual and kept ducking – hilarious.

But back to the film, very enjoyable, although for some reason the picture quality makes it more “filmy” in that you can see the crap sets, crap costumes and obvious make-up. Martin Freeman is excellent – and is it wrong to fancy a dwarf ? I am only five feet tall myself. No hairy feet yet though.

Pretty scary too, I wouldn’t take a 9 year old. Those Orcs are mean.

squiff
    Free Member

Am taking the family to watch it tomorrow, cant wait 😀

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I thought this post was going to be about Fred for a minute.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

we saw it on wednesday afternoon, all IMAX and 3D and HFR and that.
    i thought it was ace, i was a bit concerned that he was going to have padded it out a lot in order to get 3 3hour long films out of the book but it didn’t feel like it got boring at any point.
    the HFR was odd though, i felt a bit dizzy and almost like i was on a rollercoaster during the stuff when they were fighting the goblins inside the mountain.

tartanscarf

Taking my dad to see it tonight. First film in 3D, HFR, ‘posh’ seats etc. Looking forward to it 🙂

andytherocketeer

Seen the teletubbies comment in a few places now. IS HFR really that weird? Was looking at some 200Hz or 600Hz Sony telly in town, and that made normal TV look like a computer game.

No clue how they managed to make it a 3 hour movie. When they make LoTR trilogy sub 3 hours total, and maybe 1hr30 for the Hobbit, I’ll consider watching them. Fell asleep in LoTR parts 1 and 2. CBA to play the 3rd disc.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Really? If there was ever a book that deserved to be made into an epic trilogy, LOTR is it!

I’ve seen The Hobbit too, and I’ll say one thing – it certainly doesn’t feel like its being padded out, and the cinematography is jaw dropping and butt clenching in equal measure.

andytherocketeer

The book needs to be abridged too 😉

ton

the LOTR trilogy are by far The best films i have ever seen.
    The Hobbit is not far behind…………..hell i might even start doing LOTR warhammer stuff…….. 😆

Coasting
    Free Member

NZ rocks

ransos
    Free Member

Really? If there was ever a book that deserved to be made into an epic trilogy, LOTR is it!

Quite. And despite each of the three films being long, they still had to cut loads out of the book!

ericemel
    Free Member

Yes the HFR is really that weird!!! I really liked the film but didn’t like the effect HFR gave at all. Gutted I didn’t see the IMAX 3D instead (I saw HFR 3D)

But a great film!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My nine year old watched and really enjoyed it. I thought it was ok. Probably about an hour too long, lots of, “oh, they’re fighting, again” moments. Thankfully I was sat on a comfy sofa with my feet up, would have been hellish on some of the cheap seats you get at the local World Of Cine.

theotherjonv

I’m pondering getting my Daughter some LoTR lego for Christmas, but I’m worried it might be Hobbit forming?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Ba boom tish 🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I know people complain when directors cut bits of books to make them into films, but after watching that I certainly understand why the directors do it. Not much happens for the first hour, and then it’s two hours of fighting one set of bad guys, fighting a second set of bad guys, fighting the first set of bad guys again, fighting a third set of bad guys etcetera etcetera…and with 6 more hours to go!

The effects, cinematography and landscapes were all pretty breathtaking, as you would expect by now, and Martin Freeman is very good. It’s definitely worth watching, I just feel that a bit of judicious cutting could have made it a very good film (or two), as opposed to a slightly drawn out trilogy.

firestarter
    Free Member

Just back from cinema must say I was wondering how they managed to drag it to three films but it was brilliant I could have sat for hours and hours watching the lot in one go I thought it flew by , gutted I gotta wait now for the others.

Crell
    Free Member

The Ritz in Belper doesn’t have the 48fps stuff but it was still good; and helped along by fantastic cake and mulled wine :). It did feel a bit drawn out and repetitive towards the end, but the kids loved it.

It does look stunning (tele tubby land aside)

RealMan
    Free Member

Felt like a big budget, big scenes, big action kind of film. But nothing particularly memorable, new, or interesting, and was really quite long. But then, I wasn’t really expecting a whole lot.

A nice film to see once, if you have the time, and are curious about it. Don’t go in expecting too much and you won’t be disappointed.

llama

Overall I liked it. Not as good as ‘fellowship’ but as good as the other two. The bit with golum was tense. it was the point of the film IMO.

racefaceec90

this is the definitive lotr/hobbit film 😉 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCYbRUmzIb0[/video]

kimbers

really enjoyed it

didnt find it too long at all, infact quite well paced certainly better than fellowship, which took ages to get going

I can see why the bits theyve added have been put in, perhaps a little bit of padding but they go a long way to help set up lotr and also explaining the motivations of the characters later in the hobbit that arent so clear in the book

midlifecrashes

Pretty much all of the setup story for LOTR happens in this first film, took my gang to see it the other day.

Good film and doesn’t seem long when watching it. I reread the book just before going, and it isn’t massively padded out, the book is very episodic, especially in the second half so there is a fair amount of rejigging needed anyway to make a continuous film, as others have said, stuff brought in from other Tolkien stuff not in LOTR main books either.

Klunk
    Free Member

new trailer

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOEknbi4gQ[/video]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks ace.

ton

cant wait…. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘The Hobbit.’ is closed to new replies.