Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • The Hippies are coming….again!…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/actions/london-2009/swoop

Right, who's taking bets on where they'll be tieing up their dog-on-a-string?

St James Park? Green Park? Trafalgar Square?

Drac

I wonder how many of them are going by car.

MrAgreeable

Which of course invalidates their point completely. Like all those people who go on about rising CO2 levels while having the temerity to BREATHE. 🙄

BigDummy
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wonder how many of them are going by car.

I suspect very few.

trailmonkey

Hippycrits.

backhander
    Free Member

Um, while I applaud their cause (not their behaviour), wouldn't they be best off demonstrating in countries which are not attempting to combat climate change? I would suggest China and India as a start as two of the worlds largest polluters and who have refused to sign the G8 emissions goal. See how their police treat them!
    I'm not a labout fan, but there have been significant changes to legislation to combat CC. There's always more to be done but at least we've started.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes, of course. Anyone who feels like protesting about anything in Britain should go and protest somewhere where things are worse. 🙄

Moses

bh: Emissions per head are much higher here than in India or China.
    They'd be better off demonstrating in Oz or the US.

Or, to save travelling, and because they are UK citizens – why not here?

mtbfix

Fair play to them. Somewhere between the status quo and their idealism lies a happy middle ground.

backhander
    Free Member

Not the point and irrelevant. it's an excuse for a ruck.
    They'll just get beat up by the rozzers again and start bleating and crying "oooh the police are sooooo rough". Go to effing Brazil and riot. see what happens, dirty ****.
    We're doing a lot more here to combat CC than many places. Even if we do more, our emissions are so small in the scheme that it won't made a blind bit of difference to the world. So, if they really really want to make a difference; go riot where it matters, where the govts don't care.
    Does anyone think that the US or anywhere pays any attention to our civil disorder? ha. India and chinas emmissions are increasing at an alarming rate, and what does per capita matter? maybe they should go to luxembourg instead then?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

while I applaud their cause

Yes of course you do.

That's why you're suggesting that they board planes to China and India, where they can, quote : "See how their police treat them"

Clearly this is a cause very close to your heart backhander.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Climate Camp at the G20 protests earlier in the year was entirely peaceful. It was that element of the event which featured a police baton charge against a large crowd of people standing with their hands in the air shouting "this is not a riot". It was one of the elements of the policing of the event that came in for particular criticism in the IPCC's report on the disturbances.

But don't let that sort of thing stop you running your mouth off. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

"Somewhere between the status quo and their idealism lies a hippy middleclass ground."

fixed it for ya.

🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Ernie, my job is to assist large oranisations reduce their energy usage.
    While I realise that I'm paid for this, I'm also quite proud to be doing my bit, are you?
    I expect you're full of your normal guardian inspired vitriol and talk a good game but actually do eff all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

While I realise that I'm paid for this, I'm also quite proud to be doing my bit, are you?

Am I what ?

Paid to 'reduce my energy usage' ? ………. Or proud of you ?

atlaz
    Free Member

I saw a bunch of the climate camp people eating at McDonalds on Bath rd (by Heathrow) last year. Sadly I was driving and didn't have a camera with me otherwise it'd have made a great one what with them on bikes with their banners tucking into Satan's own fast food.

backhander
    Free Member

where does it sat that I'm paid to reduce my energy usage?
    avoiding the question? you should go into politics, you are very politician-like.

Drac

I suspect very few.

Still too many then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

where does it sat that I'm paid to reduce my energy usage?

You're quite right, you didn't say that you were paid to reduce your energy usage.

You said that you are paid to "assist large oranisations reduce their energy usage."

So you are asking if I am too ? No I'm not.

yossarian
    Free Member

there is some seriously ignorant bullshit being spouted on here.

the climate people are entirely peaceful and were treated shamefully by the police at the g20.

comments like 'dog-on-a-string' just illustrate how blinkered and middleclass the poster is, it has no bearing the people who feel confident and passionate enough to get off their arses, take a day off work and take direct, non-violent action to highlight the cause that they support.

dog on a string? you prat

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Still too many then.

Well actually I was erring on the side of caution – I should imagine there won't be any at all. Where the **** do you expect them to park ?

darrell
    Free Member

is this the same Backhander who earlier asked about a gas guzzling lump of an old Volvo. hows about reducing your own energy usage you bl00dy hypocrite

Drac

it has no bearing the people who feel confident and passionate enough to get off their arses, take a day off work

They work! 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

dog on a string? you prat

TBH I found the 'dog-on-a-string' comment quite amusing.

In fact, I've always found Stoner's prejudices hugely entertaining.

backhander
    Free Member

darrell, you have no idea about my personal circumstances so I'll thank you not to judge.

trailmonkey

comments like 'dog-on-a-string' just illustrate how blinkered and middleclass the poster is

is it a crime to be middle class or something ? seems like a polemic argument that brings out prejudice on both sides

Stoner
    Free Member

comments like 'dog-on-a-string' just illustrate how blinkered and middleclass the poster is

🙄

oh look, someone let the twit with the faulty irony sensor out.
    Oh, its OK, its only yossarian again getting his knickers all tangled.

yossarian
    Free Member

They work!

I knwo 4 people heading up today (by train) and they all work. People with dreadlocks have jobs too you know – mainly in record shops I'll grant you 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

i bought a new bike – making me an eco warrior.

the factory that made it was probably powered by happy thoughts and rainbows.

Because i own 5 bikes, i'm 5 times better for 'the environment' than someone who just gets home from work and watches X-factor.

perhaps i should buy a hyrbrid car – to let even more people see how great i am do even more good for the environment…

jimster
    Free Member

Be a peaceful day in Malvern with all the tree-hugging hippies/druids out of town 😀

trailmonkey

Be a peaceful day in Malvern with all the tree-hugging hippies/druids out of town

yeah, i'll be able to walk through totnes without hearing a single lute.

mtbfix

Might I suggest that some of you enlist in 'Polite Debate 101', please? There is no need to personalise this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

backhander – Member

darrell, you have no idea about my personal circumstances so I'll thank you not to judge.

LOL ! Yeah …..'cause of course, you wouldn't want to be 'judgemental' …. eh backhander ?

ffs

Stoner
    Free Member

yeah, i'll be able to walk through totnes without hearing a single lute.

LOL

I think it'll be quieter in cheltenham than malvern – I dont think all our oldies will make it up to London and back before Murder She Wrote starts.

zarquon
    Free Member

why are they all so POSH. Presumably its an alternative gap year before getting a job as marketing manager for Somerfields.

Knew a guy who was at the first Gulf War peace camp – they spent most of their time arguing about whether to shoot the stray dogs that were plaguing their compound..

backhander
    Free Member

Ernie, you don't count.

yossarian
    Free Member

In fact, I've always found Stoner's prejudices hugely entertaining.

tick, particularly the defence of them 😉

Drac

People with dreadlocks have jobs too you know – mainly in record shops I'll grant you

lol!

Stoner
    Free Member

im defending nothing.

whereas you're all smilies and emoticons all of a sudden?
    Maybe you should let the caffine out of your system before you post first in future….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘The Hippies are coming….again!…’ is closed to new replies.