Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • The Helmet debate
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Nothing like a bit of subjective hyperbole is there? Maybe he asked the kids whether they wanted to wear helmets and they said yes, even though he wasn’t?

fizzicist
    Free Member

Well you could possibly have killed him if it was him coming around the corner rather than that other chap. Lucky escape.

As could you (or anyone else) in a similar situation. Hence my belief in using a helmet at all times on a bike.

Basic risk assessment – by getting on a two wheeled device that relies on movement for stability, you are increasing the likelihood of falling over. So mitigate the risk of serious consequences.

That said, James May is on about natural selection on BBC2 at the moment. For this very reason, I don’t believe helmets should be compulsory….

scbutcher
    Free Member

Risk assessment’s for getting on a two wheeled bike ?

Mitigating risk ?

Do you wear arm bands in the bath, have all your forks in the cutlery drawer got corks on the dangerous end.

dekadanse
    Free Member

I think montylikesbeer sums up the case for – ‘well why wouldn’t you?’ – and idiotdogbrain summarises the case against – ‘freedom of choice’ and ‘I’m a rational adult’………….sorry idb, your chosen name kind of speaks for itself, because in a complex world where you are not alone, and where not only your rational choices may have flaws, you do indeed stand the chance of becoming idiotdogbraininjured.

I have to say prattling on about one’s civil right to do something daft does seem to me to be unevolved behaviour. We are not alone, and what we do does have consequences, especially in a small island of nearly 70m people. So – adapt! Be reasonable in a world where if it can happen, it sooner or later will happen. Again to quote the great sage montylb – ‘why wouldn’t you?’

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Just because you don’t appear to be able to ride a bicycle without falling off, don’t tar the rest of us with the brush of ineptitude…

FWIW, I wear a helmet when I deem it necessary, but will happily ride without one when I feel it’s not. Having spent my youth riding BMXs and skateboards without a helmet, mostly in concrete urban environments, I think I’m up to the job of gently riding a bicycle round the local woods without much fear of serious injury. YMMV, of course…

aracer
    Free Member

Basic risk assessment – by getting on a two wheeled device that relies on movement for stability, you are increasing the likelihood of falling over. So mitigate the risk of serious consequences.

Yet strangely enough, I ride a lot of the time without a helmet on a single wheeled device which relies on movement for stability in an even more complicated fashion. I’ve yet to hit my head on anything. A two wheeled device is actually remarkably stable in comparison – not really sure why anybody bothers with a helmet on one of those.

aracer
    Free Member

Can I just check, dekadanse – do you wear a helmet when walking or when driving a car?

smell_it
    Free Member

it just continues the murky stew of fiery arse gravy that is this debate

Yup.

druidh
    Free Member

😯

* opens another bottle of wine *

fizzicist
    Free Member

Risk assessment’s for getting on a two wheeled bike ?

Mitigating risk ?

Do you wear arm bands in the bath, have all your forks in the cutlery drawer got corks on the dangerous end.
    yes, mitigating risk.

The consequence of impaling your finger on an item of cutlery is low, unlike that of twatting your head on a rock.

Likelihood vs consequence. It’s a bit grown up I know, but….

irc

Natural selection? You mean like how the human skull has evolved over millions of years to survive impacts without the protection of a helmet. This explains why the vast majority of cycling fatalities involve an impact with a motor vehicle where helmets are of little value.

Taking the Tour De France as an example. As it takes place on roads closed to motor traffic there have only been 3 fatalities to competitors during the race. Of these only that of Fabio Casartelli might have been prevented by a helmet. His crash at 55 mph is not a typical situation the average cyclist gets into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France#Deaths

In fact more spectators have been killed than competitors. Maybe anyone watching the TdF should wear a helmet?

Racing and techy off road yes. Anywhere else? Cycling is safe and helmets are not needed by anyone with reasonable skill and experience.

scbutcher
    Free Member

Dekadanse – what happens if montylikesbeer has some wobbly juice and falls over ?

I mean why would you,

I personally believe its all about exposure, if you are not exposed to much then a little bit will make your sphincter pucker up !

If you are exposed to risk, say whacking lead hornets down a 2 way range in Sangin wearing no helmet no T shirt and a pair of shorts, riding a bike with no helmet becomes as dangerous as brushing your teeth !

Some people take huge risks without fear nor criticism, some people come up short on courage and criticise others !

Before quoting and re quoting others
    Stop and think which category you fall into,

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘The Helmet debate’ is closed to new replies.