• This topic has 68 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • The Hateful Eight – Any good? (No spoilers please)
  • Harry_the_Spider

Was wondering if it was worth a punt on DVD.

So is it Django/Pulp Fiction good, or Jackie Brown rubbish?

Lifer
    Free Member

Jackie Brown is great, but it’s not like that. But it is good.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I liked it. It is quite cartoon like.

jekkyl

it’s good yes, excellent in fact.

‘you’d be surprised what a man that cold would do for a blanket!’

djflexure

Lost interest and switched off after 15mins. Wanted to like.

Rorschach
    Free Member

yep……..or not.

bodgy
    Free Member

Yeah, It’s good . . . if you like that sort of thing.

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

Terrible.

But you may discount my opinion if you think Jackie Brown is rubbish as that film is jostling with Pulp Fiction for Tarantino’s best work in my mind.

themilo
    Free Member

It’s ok. You’ll not be surprised by much of it tbh and it’s very “Tarentino” if you catch my drift. Mrs hated it. You’d get chucked in jail for watching it with your kids. Pretty easy watch but don’t expect to come out the other end having “learnt anything”.

colournoise

It’s very, very good. Tarantino still knowing how to write dialogue and showing off his love for, and knowledge of, cinema.

Knowing Tarantino half the fun for me was trying to second guess when it would all kick off.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is awesome in it. Actually, the whole ensemble is pretty good.

Pigface
    Free Member

Typical Tarantino, endless dialogue then ultra violence.

copa
    Free Member

One of the dreariest films I’ve ever watched.
    It reminded me of a Hale and Pace style cowboy sketch…which never ends.

zilog6128

Watched it last night & really enjoyed it. Agree it’s very “Tarantino”! Not sure it will demand repeated viewing though unlike say Pulp Fiction. I’ve enjoyed all of QT’s films, Jackie Brown is probably my favourite.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Must say that on my patented Film Disappointment Scale, ‘The Hateful Eight’ came in a solid Prometheus.

It is by far the weakest Tarantino film, especially so given the hype.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Jackson plays the same racial stereotype he plays in all Tarantino movies. Lots of long talking waffle bits and lots of ketchup.

Seen one Tarantino movie you have seen them all

mboy
    Free Member

I liked it, it’s not his best work, and if you’re not a Tarrantino fan then you’ll more than likely hate it, but it’s an enjoyable watch. It does feel slightly as though Tarrantino challenged himself to make a 2 1/2hr long film with only 2 scenes and a very limited cast, but as a result you get typical Tarrantino-esque back stories and depths to the characters. It’s less predictable than you might expect too with twists and turns to the plot.

It’s not Django Unchained, Pulp Fiction or even Inglorious Basterds, but it’s a good fun film if you like Tarrantino already.

sutty
    Free Member

Watchable but only just, way to drawn out. Like tarrantino films usually, but found this towards the bottom of end of his work pile, to be honest.
    Got “Rush” lined up for tonight’s viewing, a couple of years old, but I’ve never seen it & that looks good 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes it was excellent, far better than The Revnant. We laughed out loud in the cinema at one point which may have been totally inappropriate. IMO it wasn’t as good as Pulp Fiction or Django but I’d happily see it again (edit: would agree totally with @mboy above)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sutty we saw Rush for the first time a month ago and enjoyed it, they did a decent job of drama and historical stuff I thought

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s not Django Unchained, Pulp Fiction or even Inglorious Basterds, but it’s a good fun film if you like Tarrantino already.

^^ this

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye it’s good. Worth a watch. Only seen it the once, but I reckon it’s a film I’ll enjoy watching again.

shermer75
    Free Member

Not good. But Jackie Brown is one of QT’s best films…

vondally
    Free Member

It is a great reminder dear the Mr QT can write great dialogue, however overlong, in need of a good editand some more character development and some one to say enough silliness but wonderful performances almost all the cast…..kurtr , Jennifer JL exceptional….

Of all theQTfilms my least favourite are dj unchained and inglorious b, imho best are Jackie b, reservoir dogs. This sits in the middle.

vondally
    Free Member

footflaps

We enjoyed it, I’d recommend it.

Dolcered

I thought it was awful.

Wookster

Loved it!

jakehinton
    Free Member

Ok, would have been better if it was about an hour shorter.

kimbers

I liked it, it’s more of a western with some Tarantino scenes

Sam Jackson’s warm Dingus steals it

choppersquad
    Free Member

As said before, if you like Tarantino films you’ll love it and if you dont, you’ll hate it.
    We thought it was excellent.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

What a shame for Tarrantino that he made his best film , Pulp Fiction early in his career and has been struggling to try and live up to that by slightly changing the formula with each subsequent film and hasn’t really succeeded . I disagree with the comment that you are either a fan or not . I love Pulp Fiction , think some others are Ok , and think Kill Bill was real crap . For me Hateful 8was more at the Kill Bill end of the scale .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a tarantino…
    To borrow from kemode he needs an editor who can tell him to cut it… Bit too long, utah apart from that great fun. Jackie Brown is an excellent underrated film though and at some point he will get over being able to use the n word…

jambalaya
    Free Member

As a follow up to @Ramsey I love some Tarantino and think others are poor. Pulp F/Django/Inglorious/Hateful all excellent, Kill Bill 1 dire and didn’t bother with 2, Resevoir Dogs I switched off halfway through. Jackie Brown not seen.

T666DOM

Total garbage, an hour too long, not as dreary as Kill Bill which was a disgrace to spread over 2 films. Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown were excellent, the soundtrack for JB is one of the best.

Drac

Fantastic film ranked as easily one of his best, not like Jackie Brown which is pretty poor compared to his other work.

rone

It’s a right frame of mind film. If you go in knowing that the dialogue is going to be indulgent and that it follows a certain Tarantino coda – and you see it on a big screen you’ll have a buzz. That said it could’ve been a better film if the beginning was trimmed back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That said it could’ve been a better film if the beginning was trimmed back.

Being able to hit pause and nip to the toilet is a significant bonus when Tarantino hit’s his indulgent moments

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Amazed that so many people think Jackie Brown is a poor film/his worst. It’s easily his tightest film, brilliant performances, snappy dialogue, great story and an awesome motown style soundtrack.

Hateful 8 reminds of Reservoir Dogs but set in a log cabin. The dialogue and action are typical Tarantino. It’s not as good as IB or Pulp Fiction, but it’s very obvious who directed it. The character development and cinematogphy are also off the chart. f you’re a fan of the dialogue then you’ll enjoy it. If you like a bit more going on that lots of talking (a la Dogs, Kill Bill Vol 2, Death proof) then you’ll not enjoy it so much.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@ramsay, I agree –
    dogs was great
    PF was great
    JB was pretty good
    and then it all went a bit wrong

sorry, no comment on hateful eight, back to the thread…

jon1973
    Free Member

and then it all went a bit wrong

I thought Django and Inglourious Basterds were every bit as good as his early stuff. Not see Hateful Eight yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘The Hateful Eight – Any good? (No spoilers please)’ is closed to new replies.