Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The Harry Potter film…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I actually quite enjoyed it. Easily the best one IMO (but I have never been a fan of the books or previous films).

finbar
    Free Member

Me too. It was a bit long, but it didn't disappoint at all. Cosmo Landesman in the Sunday Times gave it 1/5, so i knew i'd like it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I did too, though I hate it when they invent new plot instead of merely cutting the original 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Apparently (Mrs M loves the books) the burning of Weasley's house isn't even in the book so why add it to the film? It didn't have any plot relevance…

matthew_h
    Free Member

Agree completely with Simon. There were too many bits that were altered just for the sake of it and didn't add anything. I have no problem with bits being cut out completely as that has to happen but to change things for no benefit seems silly.

tyger
    Free Member

And why the beginning bit with the waitress?? A good film though but I still enjoy the books more 🙂

Also watched Gran Torino last night on DVD – excellent and not the ending I was expecting. I hope that it's not his swansong 🙁

nickc

I can see why they moved stuff about TBH. It's always the same with film adoptions of well loved books. The real fans will complain about stuff that's wrong, whilst if you're not that familiar with the plots you're left goin' "ehhhh, what's that all about?" Fine line.

Went last night, kids enjoyed it, some good acting and action scenes. Bit of a tricky one to film TBH, as the book's a bit of a bridge between the "school days" and the "adolescent" and not a lot "really" happens*. Made a good fist of it I thought.

*Yes I know lots of important things do happen, but not right up until the end…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

was a let down. Seemed to drag on for too long. if bits are to be cut, then cut out the soppy sections!

Although, was impressed with the 14/15 yr old Harry pulling the much older waitress at the start!

tyger
    Free Member

I thought that Ron's love-happy acting was really funny!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought that Ron's love-happy acting was really funny!

yeah, his fatuous expression was priceless :o)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I liked the fall off the back of the sofa bit. LMAO!

fisha
    Free Member

Lots of complaints about it being a rom-com style, but i think it had to be done that way in the grand scheme of the series.

Its very much a bridging film which setups up the relationships between the characters and sets out the story line for the last film ( or is it planned a 2 for the final book? )

With all that out of the way the final films can concentrate on the horcrux and deathly hallows thing and not piss about with teenage love stories too much.

Overall I quite enjoyed it, but i wouldn't have said seeing the 3D stuff at the iMax was worthwhile though.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Really enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and films. This was a bit flat, but from what I remember, this book was the weakest of the lot to. Having said that being able to watch Ms Granger for two hours is reason enough for me :o)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Having said that being able to watch Ms Granger for two hours is reason enough for me

Don't you think she looks just a little bit too like a little girl still?

PJ266
    Free Member

Depends how old you are mastiles, she's the same age as me 😀 Im allowed.

DickBarton

I'm clearly an anorak as I was watching it thinking, this part in the book was far better…I don't think it did the book justice, but I think it did well for the Harry Pooter collection of films…the first 1.45-2 hours was a good built up but the last half hour or so seemed to go by very very quickly and didn't seem as good as the book.

Leaving the book comparisons aside I thought it was ok, not the best but not a flop.

The scenes in the banquet hall and the school were let down by the lack of moving pictures and staircases and food suddenly appearing. I think a few touches were left out to save time and money…didn't detract from the film but did make me realise that I was an anorak as I spotted them instantly…

I wouldn't go to see it again at the cinema but would watch it a few times on DVD again.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

she's the same age as me Im allowed

Fair enough 🙂

I am considerably older….

PJ266
    Free Member

I already dislike the film knowing that they burn the burrow down. I think its safe to say im an even bigger anorak than you DickBarton 😳 why change the story??!!?

(I had the same problem with Lord of the Rings)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Plot corruption aside, I thought it was funny how I and a lot of the audience (from the gasps) would know what was about to happen and still react. When Harry dipped into the underground lake to get water for Dumbledore, you could hear the intake of breath :o) And then the shrieks when a dead hand grabbed him!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And then the shrieks when a dead hand grabbed him!

The characterisation of them (COUGHS > GOLLUM > COUGHS)…

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mastiles, exactly what I said when I saw them. Absolutely the same. Think they must have nicked the floppy disc with the character map on.

DickBarton

I'm not arguing about who is the bigger anorak but there were bits in the film that seemed to be skipped over very quickly that in the book took longer to get through, I realise they can't make the film identical to the book but the bits that were cut out (something about a boy and girl in the cave that Tom Riddle made them do things that drove the boy crazy and killed the girl (or something)).

It was good, just not as good as the book…I've also heard the last book will be 2 films which I think is just spinning the money maker a bit too much – but I'll go see them anyway.

Northwind

I watched it thinking "Hmm, this is different to the book" "So's this" "Why have they done this"? Then I remembered that the next book's incredibly, incredibly bad for around 4/5ths of its absurdly bloated thickness, so I reckon it's a good precedent to appoint hatchetmen and plastic surgeons as screenplay writer and director.

Though I did think that some of the changes neither added or took away from the book, and so probably were a bit pointless. Have to say, I've never heard a cinema go quieter than this one did towards the end, despite being full of feral kids. I really enjoyed it, myself, the pacing was all broken but the storytelling worked a charm.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Ive been to see it, Harry Potter is always best at the Cinema, thought the film was good, but somehow got the feeling it was a forced story line.. not really necessary, but the kids will love it.. and its broken records in the States.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Ive been to see it, Harry Potter is always best at the Cinema, thought the film was good, but somehow got the feeling it was a forced story line.. not really necessary, but the kids will love it.. and its broken records in the States.

nickc

Films and books are different things.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘The Harry Potter film…’ is closed to new replies.