Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The Handmaid's Tale (may contain spoilers ,but podium girl lite)
  • fasthaggis

I did a search on the awesome STW data machine but nothing came up
    So who’s watching?
    I thought the last one with the Mexican ambassador was particularly chilling.
    Fantastic acting and as always very thought provoking.

jekkyl

yes, it’s good. You know it’s a feminist novel right?

the-muffin-man

I was going to but the first two episode have dropped off 4od.

Anywhere else I can watch from the start?

fasthaggis

You know it’s a feminist novel right?

Oh aye,I read the book years ago.
    I just think it even more poignant in this current climate we live in.

Digby

Yep – thoroughly ‘enjoying’* it … considering it was written in the mid ’80s it’s very poignant for elements of today’s society.

It’s the only scheduled program I’m actually watching apart from the Ten O’Clock News

Elizabeth Moss is just brilliant I think. She really does the whole understated but with fire behind the eyes thing very well.

*despite the nightmare dystopian images – it’s very well made with wonderful post-production making the background grey with the red dress of the ‘Handmaid’ quite vibrant – which reminds me of Schindler’s List.

richmtb

Yep watching it too.

Elizabeth Moss is indeed brilliant and the whole setting is chilling and fascinating at the same time.

Blessed be the fruit

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Speaking of Elizabeth Moss, there’s another Top Of The Lake on the way soon.

rossburton
    Free Member

Elizabeth Moss is just brilliant I think. She really does the whole understated but with fire behind the eyes thing very well.

ep2 is a good example of this, at the birth when the wifes were talking about giving Offred a macaron and talking about her as if she were some sort of sub-human. The barely controlled rage was awesome.

Spin
    Free Member

Superb, challenging, frightening television.

fasthaggis

Atwood’s take on how the story relates to things now

@ richmtb …”Under His Eye” 😉

Digby

The barely controlled rage was awesome.

It was wasn’t it …

I think Elizabeth Moss could well be one of the best actors of her generation. From a minor part in Girl Interupted to Peggy Olson …

#BlessedDay

Atwood’s take on how the story relates to things now

This is actually the foreward in the recent published edition of her book. It sets the scene very well I think.

Northwind

I went back and read the novel again and it really struck me how visual and solid it all is. I always get an image of how things look but I know often it’s nothing like the author meant it to- my version of the character, or the city, or whatever (genuinely my version of Rincewind looks like Wizbit, I have no idea why, there’s endless descriptions of him and none of them are “a yellow triangle”)

But I reckon Gilead looks much the same to everyone, and it looks pretty much exactly like the TV program. It helps give it that feeling of unsettling reality

tthew

I was a bit disappointed in episode 5, not much seemed to happen, but yeah, right back on it with 6. The internal conflict of the Mexican ambassador was awful. Having not read the book, I was expecting there to be a handmaids riot when all the kids ran in to the banquet.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

May it open

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t remember it much despite reading the book.

I suspect it’ll become the new series once I’ve finished my GoTs binge.

footflaps

We’ve just started watching this, a good combination of disturbing yet utterly compelling viewing….

Ep 3 so far…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Best tv I saw last year. Utterly fantastic. Loved it

mahalo

watched 6 or 7 episodes back to back on a flight, need to finish off…

under his eye.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anywhere else I can watch from the start?

Showbox.

Free.

footflaps

On Netflix, but you have to pay for it.

Under his eye.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, the best thing I saw in 2017.

nickc

Don’t think it’s on Netflix BTW

footflaps

Don’t think it’s on Netflix BTW

You’re right, it was Amazon Prime…

tinribz
    Free Member

Not seen yet. Been put off by the mention of feminist agenda.

True or false:

All the women characters are victims.

All the men are either strong and evil or good and submissive?

kimbers

tinribz – Member

well, yeah but thats literally the whole point of the story!

its well written enough that the characters are more complex than

but, if a feminist agenda puts you off something then you really do need to watch & consider what its saying

martinhutch

True or false:

None of the above, actually. Plenty of the women are deeply unpleasant or at least morally ambiguous, the main character is flawed in many respects, and while many of the men are utterly vile, others are portrayed pretty positively.

You can watch it on a number of levels, including as a straightforward thriller, an allegory on the influence of the religious right in society, or as a discussion piece on sexual slavery and women’s rights. Or a combination of all those, and more.

MrOvershoot

Quite a few episodes were directed by my Step Sisters Husband, he’s a top bloke and a great dad to their kids. He’s not the sort of person to be pushed into promoting any agenda IMO.

Though to my shame I’ve not watched any of them & we have Amazon Prime!

mahalo

Im sure they’re not incl in Amazon Prime… pay extra through Prime.

maybe on More 4? think ive got a few eps on my sky+…

DezB
    Free Member

my Step Sisters Husband

Those Caps make him seem like a character from the series! 😉

Agree with martinhutch about the levels – I saw it as a dystopian sci-fi, kinda thing. But deeper than I make it sound. Unlike most dramas, it wasn’t naff, that’s for sure.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Massive LOL and finger pointing whilst shaking head at tinribs

footflaps

I saw it as a dystopian sci-fi, kinda thing. But deeper than I make it sound. Unlike most dramas, it wasn’t naff, that’s for sure.

+1

Very gripping and yet also, very disturbing. Does make you think ‘could this happen’ and the answer is “it’s possible”….

Good article linked above: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/books/review/margaret-atwood-handmaids-tale-age-of-trump.html

MrOvershoot

DezB – Member

my Step Sisters Husband

Those Caps make him seem like a character from the series!

Yes I don’t know why I typed it like that? I even thought that at the time but just left it, He’s done some good stuff in his time Mike Barker

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The Handmaid's Tale (may contain spoilers ,but podium girl lite)’ is closed to new replies.