Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • The Guardian article on 'The Masciline Mystique'
  • binners

I’ve just made a right mess of blind baking the base of my cheese and onion pie. I’m having to start again

You see! This is what happens when you start confusing gender rolls!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

gender rolls

Greggsian Slip.

CountZero

Final note “Then there are our role models: misogynist presidents, groping politicians, narcissistic sports stars, self-satisfied billionaires, airbrushed actors, heroic superheroes, alpha men, all of them. Even the average shape of a man has changed in 20 years: guns, pecs and necks wider than heads in some cases. There is no room for the winsome, the vulnerable, the uncertain.”

Food for thought..

deadlydarcy – Member
    gender rolls
    Greggsian Slip.

There you go, food for thought…
    As far as the first quote goes, though, I know of nobody who takes any of those examples as rôle models, but that’s not to say that they don’t exist, the support for Trump rather suggests that he and his ilk are seen as people to respect and emulate, and gang culture suggests that drug dealers with lots of cash, flash and bling are seen as rôle models by disaffected youngsters.
    Not sure this says anything specific about men, though; there seem to be many women supporters of Trump… 😐

metalheart
    Free Member

gender rolls

I have the strangest…

You disgusting PERVERT!

wilburt
    Free Member

My own experience of being a parent is entirely the opposite to that article.

Short term some circumstances may not be ideal but over the long term the bed you lay in is the one you’ve made.

Like those people who complain about the traffic to get from the house(they bought/rented) to the job(they chose). Its your responsibility to shape the life you want nobody elses.

Personally I used to very much enjoy walking my kids to primary school, many of the other parents are still friends now years later. I never felt any undue pressure from work at all.

a “masculine mystique” which imposes rigid cultural notions of what it is to be male – superior, dominant, hierarchical, sexually assertive to the point of abuse

If you think this is true you need to hand yourself into the police for the good of everyone.

kerley
    Free Member

a “masculine mystique” which imposes rigid cultural notions of what it is to be male – superior, dominant, hierarchical, sexually assertive to the point of abuse

Yep, must have missed that imposed culture as I am the opposite of those things

footflaps

If you think this is true you need to hand yourself into the police for the good of everyone.

+1

The whole thing seems to be complete nonsense.

larrydavid
    Free Member

Well, I thought it was a decent article.

Might not be everyone’s experience, but it was aimed at the general thrust of society.

chakaping
    Free Member

Me naval gazing, yesterday…

(Sorry, couldn’t resist)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Stop naval gazing and just be the best version of you, and take ownership of your responsibilities.

Been away on business.

I think this is a valid argument but it only works if everyone can agree that your own position in life is entirely your own choice and your own making.

binners

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Jesus, if you want to help lower suicide rates, perhaps stop writing articles comparing people based on what they do or don’t do. Setting people up to constantly reevaluate everything and think they’re doing something wrong/

Give us 5 minutes to decide what we (not just men, but all of us) actually want before ramming down our throats the new norms based on what wasn’t the norm and probably wont be the norm tomorrow.

Just do what’s good for you and those around you……..and someone buy me the A Team van please

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘The Guardian article on 'The Masciline Mystique'’ is closed to new replies.