Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)
  • The Green thing … we didn't have it in our day ….
  • juan
    Free Member

well not read everything I stopped with elf bulbs. Well it’s all come down to whether or not you care about others as a society, simple as that. In this case elf doesn’t. He has put himself ahead. All his excuses are rubbish. He could have walked to the b&q. The bus would have gone anyway so carbon footprint for this journey is a lame excuse. What really matters here, is that elf didn’t want to spend more in something eco friendly. Whether he owns a car or not is irrelevant, to be honest, as for example I am confident he doesn’t buy his food from a local production. What matters is that people will usually put themselves before the society.

aracer
    Free Member

What matters is that people will usually put themselves before the society.

I presume you’re including yourself (and pretty much everybody else on this thread) in that?

Edukator
    Free Member

So we need measures that benefit the highest possible number of people, society and the environment. Bonus/malus on cars is a vote winner because more people benefit or are unaffected than those hit financially. You can subsidise the sale of two or three C1s with the tax on one Q7. If you assume that everyone wants to own a car then encourage them to use the least polluting models possible.

Incentives to insulate, use renewable energy, invest in renewable energy, buy locally made produce etc. can all be woven into the tax system and be vote winners. The problem is that our govermnents seem to be more influenced by lobby groups than the electorate. My nephew works for a lobbying company and is quite horrified by what he’s paid to do – but continues to do it. Do people realise the access that these lobby companies have to our politicians and how much influence they have?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Given the quick search I did came up with much higher figures than that (and none making claims anywhere near close), I wasn’t quite sure what conclusion to draw about such claims being made by somebody clearly in love with the electric car concept

This is what I hate about internet arguments. People seem to jump to the most ridiculous conclusions – that I am some kind of raving fantasist on a crusade to convince people of some strange agenda. Well, I’m in fact just a normal bloke who remembers reading a few articles a year or so ago, and I reported them.

I strive for balance in all things, especially arguments. I’m not particularly in favour of electric cars currently for MOST applications because the green generating capacity is not there. However I think they could make sense in certain fleet applications like workers travelling within a city – even more so if the depot was equipped with local renewable generating capacity to charge the cars.

Imagine the council van depot being next to the landfill/recycling point. You could burn biomass and the methane from waste to generate power to drive the vans around. In Cardiff the main site is on the coast – lots of wind potential there too. Put one big turbine up, no-one’s going to complain about spoiling the view between the steelworks and the traveller site.

Please.. can we all be nice on a renewables thread for a change?

I’d like to know people’s thoughts on transportation energy make-up in an ideal world.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He could have walked to the b&q.

It’s through the Blackwall Tunnel. You’re not allowed to walk through the Blackwall Tunnel. 🙂

I’ve just remembered that there is another B+Q in Beckton, and I could actually ride there. So maybe I’ll get on my bike…

All his excuses are rubbish

They are really. Let’s be honest. 😆

Well it’s all come down to whether or not you care about others as a society, simple as that. In this case elf doesn’t. He has put himself ahead

Well, if only we could all be the wonderfully Green environmentally beneficial person that you are, Juan, eh?

When was the last time you travelled on a ‘plane, btw? How many times have you travelled on a ‘plane in the last five years?

And I remember when you were living and studying in Southampton; you had a car. You lived near the Uni though, so why did you need a car?

You do know I will toy with you, then destroy you, don’t you? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh heating’s had to go on this morning, it’s just too cold. Has hardly bin on last few weeks though. Not bin cold enough.

aracer
    Free Member

This is what I hate about internet arguments. People seem to jump to the most ridiculous conclusions – that I am some kind of raving fantasist on a crusade to convince people of some strange agenda. Well, I’m in fact just a normal bloke who remembers reading a few articles a year or so ago, and I reported them.

Please.. can we all be nice on a renewables thread for a change?

Sorry. Genuine apology.

I still think those figures are dodgy though…

Edukator
    Free Member

We have that system in my town, Molgrips. Now they’ve really got to grips with the multiple rubbish bins system the stuff that goes into the incinerator/generator is dry enough to be excellent fuel. The incinerator in Tysley had trouble burning at all the waste was so full of wet organic material in the 80s.

The electricty goes into the grid and is more than enough to charge the electric vehicles the town has, including the cars the public can use on “Vélib” system (cars you get in, use and drop off at any charging station in town.

mavisto
    Free Member

What no one seems to realise or accept is that we cannot save the planet. We might be able to delay its demise, but we and the planet will inevitably be toast.

Ok it’s a few years off yet, but given that, due to the laws of physics, we will not be able to do a Star Trek and occupy other planets, we are all doomed.

Lets party like its, 13,999,999,999.

aracer
    Free Member

Ok it’s a few years off yet, but given that, due to the laws of physics, we will not be able to do a Star Trek and occupy other planets

Even if we could it would only be delaying the inevitable.

juan
    Free Member

I presume you’re including yourself (and pretty much everybody else on this thread) in that?

I do yes but I am honest about it. I could ride to work everyday. However I don’t, sometimes I do take the car. I could stop visiting friends but I don’t. But I don’t pretend to be holier than everyone.
    Of course I had a car fred. I had it before I can to uni. So I could move to the UK with all my belongings. Because obviously you’ve NEVER used a car.

molgrips
    Free Member

I still think those figures are dodgy though…

Quite possibly – it’s extremely difficult to get an accurate figure, and even then what actual figure are you looking for? There are so many interacting issues involved.

I suspect though that it is a good solution for certain types of usage even currently. Unless you have at least a hybrid you waste a lot of energy in urban traffic.

I am rather interested in the Vaxhaull Ampera actually – seems like a win/win to me. Battery doesn’t need to be all that large given the back-up. Of course you’ve still got the issues with making batteries, and I have yet to see any concrete data on the environmental impact of these being made. I know TJ insists they are evil but I don’t have any confidence in his claims.

zokes
    Free Member

I know TJ insists they are evil but I don’t have any confidence in his claims.

There is no doubt that a lot of the processing involved in the production of batteries contains many very harmful pollutants, and most of these stages seem to be done in places with pretty lax environmental legislation. I guess the question is how bad this is compared to the damage caused by fossil-fuel exploration etc…

Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘The Green thing … we didn't have it in our day ….’ is closed to new replies.