Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The Great Glen Way – by MTB.
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Hi all,

Me & a mate are doing the 79 mile cycle at the end of the month and I’m really looking forward to it, but…..

I am slightly concerned about taking on the challenge due to doing my back in for the 3rd time this year last weekend.

It has improved a lot since, but it’s not 100% (I’m sure it will be fine by the 29th when we go)

We are going from Ft. William to Inverness, stopping overnight at Fort Augustus.

I’ve heard the first part is very easy, but second a bit more challenging?

Should I be concerned?

I’d class myself as bike fit & am a regular cyclist – commuting, MTB & road miles.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

paladin

I’ve got it on my to-do list for this summer, but starting in Inverness to get the hilly bit out the way first and doing it in one day.
    From what I understand its all generally easy going with only one bit that’s a bit rooty. There’s a new path over the hill by loch ness with great views.

Great chippy at the lock-side at fort augustus

moonsaballoon

3 of us did it a few years ago on hardtails with panniers , we had a great time . it was mostly fire road and pretty good paths and some of the views were amazing , if you get the weather ! We did the same as you and stayed in fort Augustus but went from inv to fort bill . your first day is pretty easy and shouldn’t take to long and you will have some big old climbs on the second day but also some big old downs . being honest if I did it again I would do it the same way as you get a big day first then stroll in to fort bill on day 2 . if your a regular biker you will be fine and as I said the paths are good so should be pretty easy on your back

Basil

The bit from Fort William to Fort Augustus is a ride alongside a canal & loch with great views.
    The part from Augustus to Inverness is horrid. Up ,down ,up ,down , up down, Lots of fire road.
    The view of Ness from the hill tops are fantastic, but no bailout route as the 82 is lethal.
    Next time I’m going to try the new Sustrans on the south side.
    I was overtaken by several younger cyclists not loaded with touring luggage who were doing the route in a day.

scotroutes

Piemonster and I are doing it Sat 30th (I wouldn’t classify myself as “younger folk”). Probably FW to INV. As above, pretty much flat along the cana, there’s a lovely wee off-road section after Gairlochy you should keep an eye open for, hilly alongside Loch Ness with a couple of soft sections as the new path beds in. I’m.involved in bike hire/transport in Inverness and the GGW is really popular. Lots of folk hire bikes to simplify the logistics, though.We also get involved in driving folk back to FW. Most folk do it in 3 days.

iain1775
    Free Member

Did it by canoe in 3 days a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things I’ve done
    Is high on my list to return and do it by canoe again but carrying the bike in the canoe, and then cycle back

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Thanks all so far.

Sounds like we’d b better doing Inverness – Ft. William then, get the hilly stuff out the way & if my back plays up, at least it’s an easy one the following day & I will b loaded with some medicine, courtesy of the Lock Inn 😉

matt_outandabout

Do remember that Inverness to Ft William is more likely to be a headwind….

CraigW
    Free Member

I usually prefer riding Fort WIlliam to Inverness direction. It gives the flatter section as a nice easy warm up, before the big hills. Plus the prevailing wind and sun will probably be behind you.

I’d say its not too hard, so long as you avoid carrying too much luggage. Its not much fun if your’e pushing a bike with heavy panniers or a trailer up all of the hills.

The new “High route” sections between Fort Augustus and Drumnadrochit are great. It avoids most of the boring forest tracks. It does mean a bit more climbing, but great views from the top.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’d suggest of you can plan for some flexibility and check XCweather.co.uk a couple of days before you do it to check the likely wind direction
    We did this when canoeing it and ended up going Inverness-Ft William instead as it meant having the wind behind us (bit more important admittedly in a canoe when you are hoping to use the wind to sail down the Lochs)

peajay

Go with the wind if possible, could be miserable with a headwind for two days!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘The Great Glen Way – by MTB.’ is closed to new replies.