Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The good, the bad, and the ugly : Show me some SSCX bikes please.
  • dsb181
    Free Member

I’ve decided I need a new bike.
    I have a stack of parts that are begging to be hurled at a do it all winter warrior.
    I need something for the commute as well as bridleway bashing on weekends when the roads are salted and mountain bike takes longer to clean after a ride than the ride its self. Keen for a few races also, a couple of road guys I know from the club head to the CX races once the season starts, i.e. now.
    I like the saying “Faster than some, slower than most”.

I’m liking the look of this frame set but it might be out of my “I’ll just use odds and sods and grab a cheap frame” budget.

Sorry if this has been done, point me in the direction if so.

Thanks all!

benji
    Free Member

If you can find a cheap frame with either bsa threaded, pf30 or bb30 then that can also be turned into a single speed cross frame.

Personally went with a Niner RLT, and love it, currently running 33/17 gearing.

Good bike, with an ugly rider, clean out of bad sorry.

qwerty
    Free Member

[/url]DSCF0022 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

qwerty
    Free Member

W.I. Eccentric Eric with 38 x 18 on JtS

qwerty
    Free Member

[/url]chocolate hub by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

sarpullido
    Free Member

I have that All City bike. Nothing changed as I’m using it mainly for commuting. I’ll need a smaller front ring for proper off road action.
    This is was taken 10 minutes after I tried for first time. I still had those refectors on the wheels

firestarter
    Free Member

Fixed

not so fixed

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I went for something a bit different, I did my Surly karate monkey up as a dingle speed with a road and offroad gear, it did end up with CX tyres on the wheels and made its most famous (and last) appearance as such at the SSUK beer tent. More pictures here

Complete build.

Dingle close up

Another dingle close up

Stoner
    Free Member

My Pompetamine with midge bars

Currently £180 f&f

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

My old Pompino, 33/17

john_l
    Free Member

Singular Kite – with a Kinesis DC09 fork, 39/19

Lovely bike & if anyone’s got a spare small frame, I’ll have it.

I’ve got a 52cm Crosscheck that I’d sell……

qwerty
    Free Member

Teh awesomess

:mrgreen:

Merak

warpcow
    Free Member

Another Pompetamine. It cost about £300 all-in with 2nd-hand parts mostly (only saddle, pedals and handlebars came from the parts box iirc).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kPofG1]Untitled[/url] by warpcow, on Flickr

SidewaysTim

These are lovely

plus-one

image by Plus one2010, on Flickr

She’s quick !!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

dsb181
    Free Member

Whoa some brilliant looking bikes and great tips on gearing here.
    I’m so keen for the All City frame set but it is too much money realistically, any other suggestions other than on one?

Pompetamine is out of stock in my size (5ft 11) so maybe I go for the Pompino?
    Size M?

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

Triton are doing Nature Boy framesets for £380…
    I’ve had mine for about 3 years and love it!
    Bear in mind that the Pompino needs a track hub (120mm wide) plus a track chainset for a decent chain line. Whereas the Nature Boy will take standard road stuff.

firestarter
    Free Member

Depends on the year of the pomp mine took a 135mm rear hub but yeah good point

firestarter
    Free Member

Depends on the year of the pomp mine took a 135mm rear hub but yeah good point. Btw im 5’10” and mine was a large

dsb181
    Free Member

The Nature Boy that Triton have is a 58cm, it would be too big at 5ft 11.
    Looking at the chart I would be a size L Pompino.
    What about a cross-check or Straggler, would these be okay to race? I understand they weigh about as much as the moon though.

doof_doof
    Free Member

like the look of the Swobo Scofflaw

cookeaa

This Thread is not helping things at all.

I now find myself eyeing up the Pompino Frameset and mentally running through my spares bin, looking at my bank balance and wondering if I could build it for under £100…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘The good, the bad, and the ugly : Show me some SSCX bikes please.’ is closed to new replies.