• This topic has 875 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 876 total)
  • the Giro Thread
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Cant see Sunweb getting any help from Sky today, if anything, it’ll be the opposite, as sky will be trying to get their entire team in the break to go for the Stage win.

Doesn’t look like NQ or VN have the legs to break TD, there will certainly be some action amongst the rest of the top 10 though.

variflex
    Free Member

Would be nice gesture from Sky or others to help TomD out today. Personally I think he deserves the title if he can get through today. Given other individuals havent really played nice have they. Ok, they played by the rules, but I wouldnt class them as gents. Been impressed with TomD on this tour having never really had him on radar before.

legend
    Free Member

Cant see Sunweb getting any help from Sky today, if anything, it’ll be the opposite, as sky will be trying to get their entire team in the break to go for the Stage win.

Who do we think Landa will gift the stage win to this time?

chakaping
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like NQ or VN have the legs to break TD

My thoughts too.

If Nairo couldn’t snap the elastic yesterday I’m not sure he’s going to.

Fingers crossed anyway.

matts
    Free Member

Don’t forget that on both days, Landa had to make extra efforts at the top of each climb for points.

Not that I don’t think he made a bit of a hash of it both times, but these efforts add up.

legend
    Free Member

Absoutely, I’m sure he was completely burst…. but then he left a massive gap on the inside of the last turn on both occasions 😐

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Let’s not forget FDJ trying to haul Pinot on to the podium. They’ll take it to Nibbles and Nairo too.

+1 FDJ must hold some of the keys to this

I did wonder whether TomD’s comment about wanting to see Pinot on the podium was a reference or invitation to an alliance. Whilst I’m a fan of his and not a fan of Nibz I think Tom’s “and he calls me cocky” was pushing it, given Nibz has won Grand Tours… hopefully it’s a sign of his confidence and he’s playing mind games with Nibz and NQ, as he’s matched or bettered their attacks without teammates.

😀

is his house always getting burgled because he keeps leaving the bloody door open?

matts
    Free Member

or Lotto Soudal (all of whom have been quite quiet recently

There was a moment yesterday when the favourites group crested one of the climbs and there was a Lotto soigneur stood at the top looking for riders to hand-up bottles too. I thought that was somewhat optimistic. 😆

stevious

Gray – you might be thinking about Mollema who was a bit annoyed at Froome/Porte being given time back after the Ventoux crash. I don’t recall Dumoulin saying anything about it at the time.

I’m not sure that Nairo or Vincenzo have the legs to do much to Dumoulin to be honest. They’ve rode tactically well and put in some strong attacks but he looks too strong for them. For all the talk of Dumoulin having a ‘weak’ team, it’s not like the Vuelta in 2015 where the team was built around Degenkolb with no climbers – Ten Dam and Preidler are pretty handy. They do look knackered, but nobody looks fresh in that race now.

Ben_mw

TomD gapped by Movistar and Bahrain!
    (According to Eurosport)

corroded
    Free Member

Doesn’t look good for Dumoulin 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rumours that it might have been another visit to the bushes! (Though doesn’t explain why Yates and Kruijswijk are back there.) Only about 20 seconds back now with a long descent to the next climb.

matts
    Free Member

WOW.

Now they’re taking the piss.

Lifer
    Free Member

Very bad form if it’s true

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

“reliable sources” saying Bahrain and Movistar attacked whilst race leader was taking a natural, Quintana now virtual race leader.

Stay classy 🙄

ferrals
    Free Member

matts – Member

WOW.

Now they’re he’s taking the piss a poo.

fify 😆

Very bad behaivour. Only 40s in it though and a long way to go? Hope he gets back up to them.

matts
    Free Member

The gaps are all over the place. Moto’s must be whizzing about like mad

mrblobby
    Free Member

30 seconds at the bottom of the climb if the reported gaps are to be believed.

matts
    Free Member

One good thing, NQ and VN will have no domestiques left for the final climb when this comes back together.

matts
    Free Member

Sunweb DS confirmed TD had stopped for a piss.

matts
    Free Member

Rai are reporting that Rojas stopped with TD to inform them to attack.

mrblobby
    Free Member

All back together. One good thing to come of it is that Nibs and Quintana seem to have burned through most of their teammates (… as already reported by matts!)

turboferret

Main contenders all back together now

mrblobby
    Free Member

Usual suspects taking the regrouping as an opportunity to get up the road.

Nibali and Quintana can’t have won many fans this Giro so far. Wonder if this is setting some sort of prescedent in the peloton. Cyclings unwritten rules being rewritten!

ferrals
    Free Member

Whats the consensus on the best live text update site? I’m just on the giro d’italia website one, but I’m sure I was using a better one last year

Straightliner

Eurosport one seems okay.

matts
    Free Member

cycling news is ok – http://live.cyclingnews.com/

sebgt
    Free Member

I find following teams on Twitter like Quickstep and Sky post good updates as the stage is happening.
    I hope Froome and Team Sky are paying attention to the lack of sportsmanship and underhand tactics from some of the teams on show this Giro, seems like the unwritten rulebook has been thrown out the window.
    Froome? is the sort of character who, like Tom D, will show the sportsman gestures only to get burnt by Movistar etc

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Nibali and Quintana can’t have won many fans this Giro so far

according to Twitter, the RAI (i.e Italian home feed) commentator said that Rojas stayed with Tom D so that could tell NQ when to attack. FFS.

matts
    Free Member

I’d take the book of unwritten rules, rip the pages out, and get Big Tom to wipe his arse with it.

greentricky
    Free Member

French commentators saying dumolin was never off the bike and just lingering at the back amongst the cars for too long

hh45
    Free Member

I love Tom D – hope he kicks theirs ar$es. Nibali just isn’t an honest person and Quintana isn’t much better. tha said, if you get beyond the sound bites then Nibali was a bit more nuanced.

matts
    Free Member

Right. While they slow down to my riding pace, I’m going off the grid until I get home later. :mrgreen:

fifeandy
    Free Member

I hope Froome and Team Sky are paying attention to the lack of sportsmanship and underhand tactics from some of the teams on show this Giro, seems like the unwritten rulebook has been thrown out the window.

I suspect the book of grudges has a few new entries.
    NQ better hope he has no problems at the TDF, as I can see Sky, Orica and Sunweb all being quite happy to put the hammer down.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tibaut Pinot’s defence team saying dumolin was never off the bike and just lingering at the back amongst the cars for too long

FIFY 😀

I hope Froome and Team Sky are paying attention to the lack of sportsmanship

given Nibz threw a bottle at Froome because he just assumed he was responsible for a crash, and attacked on a climb when Froome clearly had a mechanical they don’t need reminding about Nibz, and there’s always been a bit of needle between Sky and Movistar.

ferrals
    Free Member

cheers matts, cyclingnews one seems more readable.

mrblobby
    Free Member

hope Froome and Team Sky are paying attention to the lack of sportsmanship

If Froome is watching he won’t have seen much from Quintana so far to worry him come July. Froome being a match for Dumoulin in the TT, better on the steep stuff, and with a much stronger team.

hh45
    Free Member

Of course, Quintana clearly breached the non compete clause when he descended off the Stelvio in the snow in 2014? 2015? and won the vital time that won the jersey. he was clearly the best rider so everyone seemed to ignore it.

weeksy

Nooooooooo don’t go !

Klunk
    Free Member

pedal damn it!

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 876 total)

The topic ‘the Giro Thread’ is closed to new replies.