Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The generation gap is real and more serious than I thought!
  • tonto
    Free Member

18 year old at work has never heard of Monty Python.

fruitbat

I blame the parents. Both my son and and daughter were treated to Monty Python at an early age (also The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band)!

slowoldman

If you can do no more as a parent I think Python and the Bonzos does it all.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not surprised, I’m 40 and I only know them from ‘Life of Brian’ being shown in school.

I’m sorry to say, but bar Brain, I think most of it’s crap. The Effing ‘Parrot sketch’ never got a laugh out of me.

‘Four Candles’ on the other hand…

kayak23

Kid at college with a Ramones tee on had no idea they were a band.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Some of python is utter shit. Some sublime. Bit hit and miss tbh.

chip
    Free Member

‘m sorry to say, but bar Brain, I think most of it’s crap. The Effing ‘Parrot sketch’ never got a laugh out of me.

even bicycle repair man!

Junkyard
    Free Member

films better than the shows

dovebiker

Kid at college with a Ramones tee on had no idea they were a band

Plus the Ramones were really $hit – the worst band I ever saw, they were so stoned they could barely play

chip
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/U01xasUtlvw[/video]

Murray

My 9 year old found Spam in the supermarket and has now both eaten it and watched it! Not sure what she’ll make of Life of Brian, she’s a bit religious. Monty Python and The Holy Grail should be OK – just early Horrible Histories.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You have a duty to educate, Good or Bad. I’d choose Monty Python an example of bad, Faulty Towers as Classically Good.

But yeah, this years interns are naive but they do have a good grasp of money and cost/income ratios.. I’m more concerned about that than any crappy show from the past lauded as “utterly brilliant/they don’t know they’re born/can’t understand them they talk funny” hilariously quip comments that come from the mouths of old farts.

Let them decide thier culture, not you.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I bet most its the people that shop at Sweaty Betty don’t know about The Mac lads.

Cougar

When Rik Mayall died I was talking about it at work. My apprentices didn’t know who he was. After a bit of explaining and Googling one finally exclaimed, “oh, you mean the guy from the Bombardier advert!”

I’ve got the box set. I love Monty Python, but there was a *lot* of dross in between the good bits. It’s easy to forget.

tomhoward

I thought CFH was the chap from the bombardier ad? At least, that’s what he’s like to my minds eye

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I keep making fast show references in general conversation and get blank looks from the 20somethings I used to work with. It made me sad.

Edukator
    Free Member

Monty Python was like Pink Floyd, it was cool to like them but I was quite happy to be uncool as most of it left me indifferent and definitely not laughing. One of the things I love about living in France is that Slade are seen as cool and people love it when I play “Come on feel the Noize”.

Some things cross generations. Junior was brought up on my uncool music tastes, the first song I taught him on guitar was “Besatzungs Kind” by Extrabreit and die Ärzte shook the house with “Yoko Ono”. I hadn’t realiszed the impact this might have until I read one of his recent essays for Science Po. His essay on conceptual art was inspired by the Yoko Ono song, apparently junior was intrigued as to why a German punk band would write a song with the line “you annoy me more than Yoko Ono” and wasn’t satisfied with my offhand reply of “well she does pretentious art and broke up the Beatles”.

Beware of what you might be teaching your kids!

Gunz
    Free Member

On a slightly related note our kids have absolutely no idea what they want for Christmas this year and it took us a while to work out that it’s because On Demand TV doesn’t have ads. They’re really not fussed about getting much because they haven’t had ‘the latest must have’ rammed down their throats.

thomthumb
    Free Member

girl I know had never heard of ‘Les Zeppelin’!

CountZero

Just so many HalfManHalfBiscuit pop-culture references that will pass these poor souls by! Fancy not knowing who Bob Todd, Nerys Hughes, Dicky Davis, or Trumpton are!
    (Throws hands in air, stalks off muttering…)

RustySpanner

dovebiker – Member
    Plus the Ramones were really $hit – the worst band I ever saw, they were so stoned they could barely play

When I saw them I”d taken so much speed I could hardly see.
    Got thrown out (and let back in again) for stage diving.

They were amazing.
    🙂

CountZero – Member
    Just so many HalfManHalfBiscuit pop-culture references that will pass these poor souls by!

True.

🙂

scaredypants

girl I know had never heard of ‘Les Zeppelin’!

Saw him supporting Bob Jovi

whitestone
    Free Member

Well Monty Python was 40 years ago (apart from The Meaning of Life). If I went back to when I was 18 (forty years ago purely by chance) then forty years earlier was before WW2. I’ve a very limited idea who were the main comics/entertainers from that time. I remember seeing Will Hay films on TV but apart from him and George Formby I’d have to dig deep into my memory to come up with more. Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, etc. were a bit earlier I think.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

It’s the older ones (plus 60) that leave me bemused.

There’s a tiny minority that are well educated and worldly.

The remainder come across as troglodytes.

kelron
    Free Member

I blame the parents. Both my son and and daughter were treated to Monty Python at an early age (also The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band)!

I hope they’re OK. Is there a helpline for this sort of thing?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I’ve got the box set. I love Monty Python, but there was a *lot* of dross in between the good bits. It’s easy to forget.

As with everything you need to view it in context, you need to understand the times and the experimental nature of python, in that context they were needed, and ground breaking, but that was always process that would bring out some bad, particularly they way the just regurgitated everything on screen, I doubt they held much back.

In regards to kids these days, think about it to an 18 year old, python the tv show was 45/50 years ago, now I’m 39, when I was 18 I’d bugger all idea of what was cool in the mid 40s to mid 50s, I still don’t have that great a grasp.. big band, jazz, westerns, the start of rock and roll, and incredibly week comedy etc.

When I was quoting the life of brian in 2nd year, that was when 1991, it was only an 12 year old film(that’s what lead me on to the tv shows). nowadays that’s a 37 year old film.

Pop culture doesn’t last forever, it does have a shelf life.

mefty
    Free Member

Reminded me to dust off my “Round the Horn” and “the Goons” tapes.

seosamh77
    Free Member

whitestone – Member
    Well Monty Python was 40 years ago (apart from The Meaning of Life). If I went back to when I was 18 (forty years ago purely by chance) then forty years earlier was before WW2. I’ve a very limited idea who were the main comics/entertainers from that time. I remember seeing Will Hay films on TV but apart from him and George Formby I’d have to dig deep into my memory to come up with more. Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, etc. were a bit earlier I think.

ha, never even read that far before my last reply! needless to say agree 100%

theotherjonv

Do parents not bring their kids up properly any more.

Just last night my daughter asked for help with her RE homework, they have been shown and are discussing depictions of religion on screen and deciding whether they are offensive or not.

So far they’ve seen Vicar of Dibley (not), Father Ted (mildly, but also very funny – they were shown the lingerie dept scene) some american stuff (4th Rock, Big Bang Theory – could be but only if you’re over sensitive) and Family Guy (yes, but it’s allowed because it’s cartoons…… which must be how South Park get away with it 😉 )

And now they have to write an essay on a film or program of their choosing, and as I’ve shown her clips of LoB that’s her choice…… stoning scene being a favourite, she can recite it word for word, so is already well on the way to being a proper pub bore.

RustySpanner

forzafkawi
    Free Member

You’ll find that with most beloved, classic comedy I’m afraid. Watch some of the Only Fools and Horses reruns for instance and there’s a lot of dross amongst the classic bits we all know and love. Also, classic episodes of any show are the bits that tend to get repeated more often as an example of great comedy and are reinforced in our memory.

Monty Pythons Flying Circus was absolutely ground-breaking at the time and de rigueur viewing for any rebellious youngster. I expect there’s an equivalent being broadcast now that us oldies just don’t get!

johnx2
    Free Member

Thing is, kids today have it tough.

“When i was a lad we got grants for going to university. One of us there was, living in a really nice flat.”

“Flat was it? When I got my first wage packet I got t’mortgage and bought a house!”

“I say flat, ’cause it were flat to us. It were warehouse apartment wi’ philippe starck fittings…”

[continues]

slowoldman

Reminded me to dust off my “Round the Horn” and “the Goons” tapes.

…and ISIRTA.

Derek and Clive?

midlifecrashes

Kids today, never heard of the Goonies, never mind the Goons.

I had that Phillipa Stark in the back of my cab once, used to be in that Robot Wars on Dave, innit?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I expect there’s an equivalent being broadcast now that us oldies just don’t get!

unfortunately not.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

I expect there’s an equivalent being broadcast now that us oldies just don’t get!

unfortunately not.

How would you know? 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

New girl at work describing watching an act at a music festival:

“then this really wrinkly old man came on, wearing like no clothes”

Iggy Pop, it was Iggy Pop.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Working in software, explaining computers we used, dial up modems, tapes, etc get bemused looks. Some don’t even know the world before smart phones as 10 years ago or so, they’d have been too young to own a phone.

Even the concept of buying a whole album of music, even on a CD, is beyond some of them. Music only exists in streaming form as single tracks, and only played on phones.

I still buy CDs!

slowoldman

“You tell ’em we ‘ad to use log tables and they won’t believe you”.

whitestone
    Free Member

I went from log tables to slide rules to calculators when I was at secondary school (1970 – 1977).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘The generation gap is real and more serious than I thought!’ is closed to new replies.