Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The Gap trail , any tips / advice please ?
  • oldfart

Been thinking about doing this for a while , anything I should know or watch out for ? For me and my mate it’s almost a 200 mile 4 hour round trip so is it worth it ?

br
    Free Member

Climb it rather than go down it, the run past the reservoir is fun.

smiffy

Climb it rather than go down it, the run past the reservoir is fun.

what does this mean?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I would say not and I live nearby – very overrated imo. You would be better off looking at one of the loops in the Black Mountains for a more memorable day out.

HughStew

Smiffy means do it widdershins (ie: do the Gap climb heading south). Opinions vary on the matter, I prefer heading Northwards.

Agreed it’s not worth a 4 hr drive, google Black Mountain Killer Loop, for something more worth the trip.

Cheezpleez

I’d agree with Nipper. It’s a nice enough ride and very scenic but the riding itself is underwhelming. I rode it on a rigid bike a few weeks ago and enjoyed it much more than previously as it slowed things down and added some technical interest. On a bike with suspension the main event is just a mildly rocky blast down a wide track with no time to enjoy the view.

oldfart

Thanks folks , googled BMKR , do you mean the MBR one ?

HughStew

Not sure if it’s the MBR one – it asks me to buy the map and instructions, but as it mentions a tarmac section out of Crickhowell I think not. Bikemagic has a description too but that also mentions Crickhowell. I can have a dig about this evening to see what I can find.

mooman
    Free Member

Got to agree. The Gap is a nice ride. But not worth a big drive though.
    Heres a couple pix taken on the weekend.

v666ern
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/brecon-beacons-6?replies=29#post-7029824

Spose it depends what your after, i loved it and am going back next week but im only an hour up the road and it was my choice for a ‘safe’ way into riding ‘proper’ stuff 😳 8)

qwerty
    Free Member

We drove two hours to do it, i was a little underwhelmed,

[/url]Cycle up to "The Gap", Brecon Beacons by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

we went mid week & diverted up onto the summit of Pen y Fan and back to the Gap again to add a little more,

v666ern
    Free Member

mooman, when you come back down from the gap there was a section that went between 2 country walls for about 1/2 mile and was mainly overgrown when i went last month…is it still overgrown ?

FuzzyWuzzy

I used to live a few miles from it and only did it rarely, the riding isn’t technical it’s mostly about the scenery but even that’s not worth a 4 hour drive IMO (especially with the weather being so unpredictable).

IHN

the riding isn’t technical it’s mostly about the scenery

Which are the two reasons why I love the Gap route.

mooman
    Free Member

v666ern – If I am thinking the same section. Just before the lane to reservoir?

It has one or two trees down along path. One you can duck under, and the other has a little path to side that takes you around it. Only time we had to stop was for the gates.

mrhoppy

I prefer Mynydd Llangorse as a single loop but you can combine that with the gap to make a 65km loop that was good, but I’d echo the comments that the Gap is not worth a drive for the technicality of the riding on its own I think there’s better views elsewhere too.

Spin
    Free Member

These things are all about your expectations. If you go wanting techy trails you’ll be disappointed with that route. We did it as per the Vertebrate Graphics Mountain Biking in Wales book and thought it was a beautiful ride. That said, I did it on the crosser which obviously makes it a bit more interesting and the road / well surfaced sections less toilsome.

2 country walls for about 1/2 mile and was mainly overgrown when i went last month…is it still overgrown ?

Yes, it’s a waste of time trying to ride that just now. We were there 2 weeks ago.

v666ern
    Free Member

Mooman – once strava pulls its finger out of its @rse i’ll post a pic of where i mean!

taxi25
    Free Member

I think I know the bit you mean v666er. You come down the gap descent, through the gate do the 400m rocky track onto the road and there’s a narrow overgrown path to the right. If that’s the one you mean we didn’t go down it.

retrobri
    Free Member

Rode Gap last weekend. If the weather is kind then always a good few hours out.

We finished on the ST to the right/beyond gate at the end of Gap descent. Brambles had been cut back so all good, although a little harsh on the HT.

v666ern
    Free Member

Yep thats the one, stravar calls it road to rocky ruin. it would be nice if it wasnt so overgrown…bloody natural trails 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The Gap trail , any tips / advice please ?’ is closed to new replies.