Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The Gap (Brecon). Will I die if I try it this week
  • fbk
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple off days coming up and, given the sunny weather, I feel like a decent ride somewhere.
    I’ve always fancied trying The Gap but I wonder how bad the ice/snow would affect it at the moment.

Can anyone comment on the terrain/likelyhood of me making it out alive & in one piece.

Ta 🙂

trailmonkey

you might have trouble staying awake

Rickos
    Free Member

Did it in December 2 years ago and although there was no snow the ice on the top section of the descent was lethal. At the moment I can see snow on Skirrid and Sugarloaf so I’m guessing that there will be snow up on the Gap too.

Ambrose

IMHO It is a pretty safe ride. It will be very cold and very icy in the Gap itself as well as all the water seeps/ streams. All walkable if too slippy to ride though. Wrap up warm!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11856728

fbk
    Free Member

Hmm. I guess I’ll see what the weather’s doing in the morning. Seems a shame to waste the great weather but the ice on the top is what concerns me – I’m assuming it’s petty wet & rocky up there? falling off on icy rocks hurts!

Ambrose – blimey, the car was reading -11 at midnight last night and it was chuffing cold first thing but -17!

jamesb
    Free Member

Reckon you would be very unwise to try it at moment or for next week. It is very cold = very icy (potentail of large accumylated ice slicks across Gap track and on summit rock steps) and forecast is for summit temps MAXM -7c Monday + strong / gale NE winds (Met Office Mtn forecast page). There is also lying and then later drifting snow. It is a good ride but these conditions will make it very difficult and potentially dangerous. Good winter mountaineering conditions maybe but not MTBing IMHO. Wait until another day I suggest.

btw it was -18c near Builth Wells (15 miles from Brecon) last night, and today at home (35 miles away) temps have not got above -1c

Ambrose

In all honesty it depends upon your personal skills and confidance. It will be very cold- but dry. Wrap up warm and pack extra clothes inc. full waterproofs (windproofs)and be prepared for mucho icyness. Take a flask and be prepared to walk the icy bits- which will be very obvious. Alternatively, ride it in reverse, i.e. anti clockwise. That way you’ll be walking the icy stuff anyway and will have a fast (but less technical) descent down to Neuadd Reservoir.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother, we did it in summer and still needed all our gear on to stay warm – even after the hike up…

neilc1881
    Free Member

Didn’t do the Gap today but rode some high trails very close which are part of the popular Gap route. Rode from home – Talybont to Dolygaer via the Brinore tramroad, over the top (great condition, snowy and frozen hard) and down the rocky descent (a fair bit of ice but with the number of rocks protruding it is fine), then I headed back over the Blaen-y-glyn and down through the forestry again on singletrack before climbing to descend a very rocky trail that lies below the Brinore.
    I rode the Gap after the very sustained cold spell earlier this year, the top part of the descent over the rock steps was completely frozen but it’s all rideable with care if you keep near the edges.
    I’d recommend it, though like Ambrose said you might want to walk some sections (it won’t be a long walk) or the ride in reverse isn’t a bad idea if you find the idea of rocky icy descents a bit too much!

gus
    Free Member

Rode it in about 2 in of snow a few years back, was a tad cold and a bit of a mission. The weather on the gap can be fair bit different to that down in the valleys.
    When we set out there was light sleat by the end of the ride there were guys out on snowboards.
    Probably not wise if you have never done it before, kind of helps to have some idea of what is under the snow.

dreednya

If you’re used to riding 2-3 times a week what ever the weather, then you’ll be used to the cold and ice by now so should not be too bad. As ambrose says take plenty of swarm clothes and don’t do anything daft on the rocky bits 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

The weather itself doesn’t bother me – I’m sufficiently experienced/equipped to cope with that. My main concern is whether it would just be a survival mission on sheets of ice.

I did Jacobs Ladder under similar conditions during the last cold spell and, although icy, there enough enough rocks protruding to negotiate the ice patches fine.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Unless its blowing like hell and throwing snow down no problems, its fairly low and little ice really forms unless its hard packed snow. Nioce day out in the hills really

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dress for the mountains and just do it. Love being up there. Always temped to push up one of the summits and pelt down, but they quite steep.

Question. From the gap, does anyone ride/push up the slanting track onto Fanybig then continue east along the cliff tops, descending toward Talybont or the Dam?

neilc1881
    Free Member

Buzz Lightyear – This is something of a favourite as it descends practically back to the farm. The section from Fan y Big to the bwlch at the Wellington memorial is brilliant, some big rock steps to hop up and test a bash guard on, after that it’s a peaty slog up Waun Rydd to the beautifully made Carn Pica overlooking Tal y Bont. The final descent is a stunner, very steep in places, flowy in others, then a nice lumpy bit of bridleway to finish off back through Llwynbedw.

Obviously I’m not condoning riding such a trail, it’s a walk but you might forget your reading glasses and end up there with a bike…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking neilc. I recall walking up to cairn pica and then along the cliffs. Need to choose a non-busy day. Thanks for the tip.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The Gap (Brecon). Will I die if I try it this week’ is closed to new replies.