• This topic has 46 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nealxu-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • The future is electric
  • wwaswas

The future should be ‘not using single passenger motor vehicles in urban areas, regardless of means of propulsion’.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah that too

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hodgynd
    Free Member

Nope ..my ( not immediate ) future will be on an ebike ..long before an electric car

zilog6128

Apparently Ford are testing the hybrid Transit Custom in London at the moment, with a view to possibly selling them from some point after 2019 (although a dealer I spoke to about it said don’t hold your breath!) I’ll definitely get one if they’re any good. Looks like all the other main manufacturers have hybrid or electric vans in the pipeline too.

fasthaggis

The future will be me in my Emcycle “EStravvvaaaaaa” 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

Will I be able drive to morzine on a single charge like I can on a tank of diesel? Thought not. Im out.

NewRetroTom

oldtalent – Member
    Will I be able drive to morzine on a single charge like I can on a tank of diesel? Thought not. Im out.

Do you drive to Morzine and back every week? If so, fair enough.

If you only drive to Morzine once a year then maybe you could hire a pollution belching vehicle for that one trip and use a clean vehicle the rest of the time?

wwaswas

Thought not. Im out.

Stopping for 20 minutes every 2 or 3 hours (which will get you another couple of hundred miles)seems like a good idea to me on a long journey which even on your ‘I do this journey twice a year and will stamp my foot if I can’t do it without refueling’ basis doesn;t seem unreasonable?

zilog6128

I must admit I’m not a driving god like some who drive the whole way to Morzine without stopping every other week so I quite like an excuse to pull over & have a short break 😆

The Custom hybrid will have a range of 355 miles apparently which will do me just fine (assuming that the actual range will be more like 300).

JAG

My future includes one of these…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

can’t figure out how to link to a video on flickr 🙁

maxtorque

oldtalent

For the amount my EV saved me over last year commuting, i could pay someone to drive me to Morzine, and all my family, in a fleet of Rolls Royces……

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Nope ..my ( not immediate ) future will be on an ebike ..long before an electric car

You need one now as they are the future of mountain biking 😉

That’s what the e bike rider who was waiting to descend the long climb I’d just bust a gut going up yesterday told me anyway 😆

transporter13
    Free Member

Whoever makes the first “proper” 7/8 seat useable mpv whether it be a galaxy/caravelle/transporter/vclass will get my custom… Holding out until then with my current galaxy

Gary_M
    Free Member

Does getting there without stopping really matter that much?

So I guess you must drive about 500 miles, so you’ll need to stop once to recharge the vehicle, hardly a big deal.

Do you not stop for a pee in your ‘non-stop very important trips’ to morzine?

Murray

What you need is Tesla – no, not that one, the original. Wireless power transmission means you could drive to Morzine and back every day, all day!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Once Brexit is complete oldtalent you’ll be able to stop at the border and charge up whilst you wait in the passport queue.

Gary_M
    Free Member
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

haha gold 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

😆

I’d have one, as Maxtorque pointed out, I could fly to Morzine on a private plane for the fuel saved the other 50 weeks of the year.

Waiting to see if/when a big car or van comes out, the E-NV200 looks great, but can’t (legally, the fittings are still there apparently just not type approved) tow.

phiiiiil

For the amount my EV saved me over last year commuting, i could pay someone to drive me to Morzine, and all my family, in a fleet of Rolls Royces……

Agreed. Also, since we’ve had our Zoe, we’ve never had to wait for it to charge. We’ve had to wait while we finished our lunch, or while our daughter had a play so she wouldn’t be grumpy, but we’ve never had to wait for the car. Or visit a petrol station. The time savings add up.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And to put it thoroughly in context, something like 95% of journeys done by 95% of people are under 20 km across Europe and Asia. And they are almost all single occupancy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhh, that’s good. Now I just need to sort out the £24k to buy it 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Maxtorque:

what EV are you running and how the hell are you saving that much?

Admittedly my commute is not the longest but I do between 45 and 70 miles a day depending on route so I try to work at home 1 day a week. My fuel bill comes to at least £1300 a year (E250 diesel).

Assuming I would need about 18kwh of electricity at 15p/kwh that would be just shy of £500 a year (less if I could install economy 7 to charge at night).

that is just my commuting and using an electric car to do all the other little journeys like checking the sheep, nephew to rugby games, beach trips etc I stand to save about another £200-400 a year so I am definitely looking to buy something like a used Leaf or i3. But then I would still need another car so would get a cheap pickup or 4wd T5 for that kind of work.

gt56
    Free Member

I’m no car expert, but is it really possible to drive to morzine on one tank of diesel??! Mind blown. Forgive my motoring ignorance

wiganer
    Free Member

The future should be ‘not using single passenger motor vehicles in urban areas, regardless of means of propulsion’.

Maybe the future should be a decentralised distribution of work so people don’t need to travel 30 miles to work? When I was a lad there was a coal pit and two factories I could spit on from my bedroom window. Houses exist there now.

wwaswas

People don’t only travel for their work in urban areas?

I rarely do.

crankrider
    Free Member

gt56 – Member

I’m no car expert, but is it really possible to drive to morzine on one tank of diesel??! Mind blown. Forgive my motoring ignorance

Driven to Chamonix which isnt far away on on tank in the van, you can stuff over £100 of diesel in it mind….

As for people like oldtalent, it doesnt really matter if they want electric or not, they wont have any other choice at a point in the not too distant future.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m no car expert, but is it really possible to drive to morzine on one tank of diesel

I guess it depends where you live, how much fuel your vehicle takes and how many mpg it does. I guessed the chap lives about 500 miles from morzine if he can do it on one tank in the average car. He also doesn’t stop for a pish which is even more impressive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Admittedly my commute is not the longest but I do between 45 and 70 miles a day depending on route so I try to work at home 1 day a week. My fuel bill comes to at least £1300 a year (E250 diesel).

Depends on the car.

Mine does 40mpg, so my 60mile round trip is ~1.5gallons = £8.3/day = £2k/year.

If you have an electric car then lots of other stuff becomes economical too. Economy 7 for one thing. And solar panels if you have a generation meter rather than feed-in meter would be an absolute no brainer. And there’s plenty of places where they can be charged for free.

The downside is the lease cost of the battery, when I did the sums, with an economy 7 tariff and an average of 70miles/day the cost was about the equivalent of 100mpg.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m no car expert, but is it really possible to drive to Morzine on one tank of diesel

In theory I could if:

I drove all the way at 60 and was careful accelerating from the toll booths, tunnel and everywhere else.

Prepared to drive the steep bits even slower, say 40.

Wasn’t fully loaded with at least one bike on the roof.

In reality it’s 800 miles so I stick to the speed limit of 80 in France, loaded up with a bike on the roof I’ll get about 40mpg if I don’t boot it from the booths. Typically I leave home with a half a tank or whatever, fill up at the supermarket in Calais and I’m set for the rest of the trip.

But I’ve only got a 60Ltr tank, lots seem to have 80ltr tanks now, do it easy with that.

As for the whole EV to Morzine thing, the last time I tried to make a EV work the only really affordable I could find was the Leaf, they have a slightly better ‘average’ range now of 155 miles (I think that’s the current one) but when I was looking it was around 110 miles, but that was a claim filled to the brim with caveats.

In fact I asked the Leaf Expert in my local Nissan place if I could drive from home (Cardiff) to Afan and back, a pretty short drive for me compared to some of my usual working days. It’s 75 miles there and back, range is 110 (or was) easy then? Not really, it’s a theoretical 110 miles if:

You don’t drive quickly, like more than 30 – motorway speeds, even if you drive at 56mph behind a lorry for a bit of aero help means it’s more like 80.

It’s not too cold, below 15c and the battery isn’t as efficient, again a 5c day (which it is today) means 110 becomes about 90.

Don’t have a bike on the roof, because again that hurts range.

Don’t have to drive up hills, which near me there are very many.

So, if I was to get up tomorrow morning and decide to head down to Afan, it’ll be about 5c in the morning, none of it is flat and I’ll need to put my bike on the roof I won’t get there and back, I’d have to drive to the services in Sarn (about half way) and see if the charging station is a) not taken up by someone desperate for a parking space b) working – I checked a few times in 2012 and it wasn’t always free and working and if I couldn’t charge I’d have to give up and head home, because I wouldn’t have the range to get there and back.

Telsa give you a good idea of how different conditions effect their cars. For example their S model with the basic 75D battery has a range of 400 miles at 20c and 45mph, but drive at 70 with the AC on and it’s 200.

I wouldn’t mind driving from home to Morzine in an EV, if I had one of those fancy Telsa cars, They seem to have charging points in most, if not all of the service stations in France and 20 mins isn’t too bad, it’s probably about as long as it takes to convince my family to get out, have a pee and return, but it would take a long time in a Leaf, even in summer you’d be lucky to see 100 mile range on the motorway loaded up.

The problem of course is the Tesla S is a £70k car, which is a lot and with my super cynical hat on, is it really that efficient, or have they just shifted the energy creation to the most tax/cost efficient end.

Really, I am absolutely certain that by maintaining my 7 year old, 80k mile car to keep it on the road for as long as possible for me and the next owner(s) is far better for the environment than having a brand new EV made.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The problem of course is the Tesla S is a £70k car, which is a lot and with my super cynical hat on, is it really that efficient, or have they just shifted the energy creation to the most tax/cost efficient end.

Depends where you draw the line for efficiency, if you have a solar panel on your roof to charge it then your CO2/km is going to be very low.

It does depend how you drive them though, a colleague took a leaf out for a test drive and came back with more miles remaining than it went out, i.e. the dealers who’d achieved the previous average are more interested in demonstrating how quick it is than taking people on 110mile+ runs.

Chips had an ENV-200 for an article, which had the old leaf battery in a van and IIRC managed ok on a scottish road trip so it can’t be that bad.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIxeoehr4ps&t=145s[/video]

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nissans image of the future looks like a dystopian nightmarish hellscape. Not sure it’s the best image to sell their concept.

irc

ghostlymachine – Member

And to put it thoroughly in context, something like 95% of journeys done by 95% of people are under 20 km across Europe and Asia. And they are almost all single occupancy.

But I want a car that can handle all my journeys. Not only 19 out of 20. That’s actually far from acceptable.

Hopefully none of the scores of people stuck on the M74 in the snow were in EVs with either rapidly discharging batteries or cold vehicles.

zilog6128

But I want a car that can handle all my journeys. Not only 19 out of 20. That’s actually far from acceptable.

that is why, for now at least, I will be looking at PHEVs rather than full electric. Suitable for 100% of journeys!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘The future is electric’ is closed to new replies.