Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The Friday Performance and Photography thread – "There's no I in team" edition
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, a team sports edition of the P&P thread this week! So, anything where teamwork comes in to play in the wide world of sport, as shown in a lot of shiny pictures if you please…

Such as;

Fabien goes high with the support of Les Bleus

OK, a terrible photo, and perhaps against the spirit of the thread, but this is the “99” call. An amazing example of a team pulling together in adversity, IMO.

Can one man be a team? He can when it’s Bernie, the man who drags Cav over the hills. Without people like Bernie, we wouldn’t have a British world road race champion, let alone a British TDF champion. Thanks, Bernie!

GrahamS

It’s right there:

wwaswas

and when it all goes a bit pear shaped;

Junkyard
    Free Member

An amazing example of a team pulling together in adversity, IMO.

Would this be your view if some wendy ball players had a code word that resulted in them just attacking and fighting the opposition 😕

It was thugery and worthy of actual criminal charges.

At the battle of Boet Erasmus Stadium,[4] one of the most violent matches in rugby history,[5][6] there is famous video footage of J.P.R. Williams running over half of the pitch and launching himself at Johannes van Heerden after such a call,[7] something that Williams says he is not proud of

Double standards – it was poor of the highest order

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Relevant, I suppose. Website doesn’t allow embedding

brakes
    Free Member

can I propose the banhammer for anyone who posts THAT pic of the Polish road team?

binners

will this do instead of the polish road team….

higthepig
    Free Member

[/img]

molgrips
    Free Member

Would this be your view if some wendy ball players had a code word that resulted in them just attacking and fighting the opposition

Given the game they were playing, when they were playing it, and what they were up against, there is something to be said for what they did.

Now I do not condone violence and I am not sure I would have joined in had I been on that team. But I may have.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The management of the Lions unilaterally declared that in their opinion the Springboks dominated their opponents with physical aggression because of their famous size advantage. The Lions thus decided “to get their so-called ‘retaliation’ in first” with the infamous ’99 call’ The idea was that the referee would be unlikely to send off all of the Lions if they all attacked. At the ‘Battle of Boet Erasmus Stadium’, in Port Elizabeth, one of the most violent matches in rugby history, there is famous video footage of JPR Williams running over half of the pitch and launching himself at Moaner van Heerden after such a call.

What they faced was a team capable of beating them within the rules and spirit of the games and they beat them by making sure they could not all be sent off and outside the rules

As I said double standards from the “gentlemans” game and their fans

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The Friday Performance and Photography thread – "There's no I in team" edition’ is closed to new replies.