Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • the flu jab, have you……..
  • fastindian
    Free Member

had any reaction to it? I had mine just under a week ago and today I’ve got mild flu symtoms, headache, aching joints, headache etc. Just coincidence or has anyone else experienced this?

northshoreniall

Probably coincidence, but does take 10-14 days to be effective so you could have been exposed before its reached full effect? Think most people feel effect in first couple days after, usually sore arm for me, so a week later seems a bit too long.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i get the flu jab every year, and every time i get a few days of flu-like symptoms.

Seggons
    Free Member

I had it ages and still got the flu!
    bloody life

BigJohn

I had mine back in October and felt very unwell for the first few days. I went for our usual Sunday morning ride a few days afterwards and had to bail. No energy and my vision was somehow affected. Been on top of the world ever since. Apart from yesterday and today when I seem to have a bit of a cold.

paulosoxo
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You probably have manflu!

The flu jab only protects against the most prevalent strains of real flu not manflu and only offers partial protection anyway

bigyinn
    Free Member

I heard somewhere that its a blend of the 3 most prevalent varieties of flu each year.

Drac

If it was a reaction to it you’d know before a few days had passed, see what TJ said add a bit of bigyinn.

DickBarton

Nope…get it every year and don’t tend to notice any difference…I’m a grumpy barsteward all the time anyway!

Had swine flu jab last year and did get a reaction…the vaccine was in a sort of oily liquid that was proper thick…my arm ballooned up for 5 days…went back to doc after 4 and he gave the swollen arm a good rub and it started to disipate – probably largely caused by the amount of scar tissue in my arms from daily injections!

Only got 1 jab this year…no reaction though.

Tinners

You can’t catch flu from the jab. It will protect you against the strains covered by the current year’s jab (the ones considered most likely to infect you that given year). It won’t protect you against the common cold, but the common cold is prevalent around the time the flu jabs are administered, so not a suprise if you get a cold not long after having the jab (you would have had it anyway). If you think that the common reactions are bad, you need to MTFU. A mild ache in the arm is common – I’ve had worse when Mrs T has inadvertantly brushed my arm with a feather duster on her way to swiping a spider’s web. OK, you may feel mildly off colour when you’re immune system kicks into action (as it should) and there’s nothing wrong with that, but MTFU. If you really think that’s bad, then maybe a dose of proper flu will help to remind you what being ill is all about. Uncommon reactions are exceptionally rare. And as for

Linked to Guillain Barre, Erm, no thanks, I’ll chance the flu

You’re kidding, right? Get a grip and a sense of perspective. If you’re eligible for the flu jab, then you’re MUCH more likely to fare badly having sustained the flu that you ever are from the jab.
    We haven’t had a really serous outbreak of influenza for a long time and there is a lot of ignorance. Worth reading about the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak on Wikipedia. When we get a very serious form of influenza again – and we will – you’ll be queuing up at the door of your local surgery to demand immunisation and not worrying about obscure and rare side effects. Trouble is, when there are false alarms and “swine flu doesn’t seem to be as bad as we thought it might be”, it tends to breed complacency.
    I haven’t got time to elaborate, but you may want to look into the Guillan Barre link in more detail. It’s by no means clear cut either.
    Oh, and I’ll take my chances with the jab, thank you.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Did you go purple just then?

Tinners

I did. My eyes started bulging and then steam started tooting out of my ears. Now I’ve got the shakes.
    Must have been the jab.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

😆

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have’nt but saying that I have never give it a second thought.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I get the jab every year. No reaction that I could tell. Didn’t have any issues last year with the swine flu jab either. Having sufferred pneumonia many years ago I will take whatever is available, thank you. Really don’t want to go down that route again.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Had mine back in October, slight reaction as usual, but as an asthmatic I really wouldn’t want full blown flu
    Had a chest infection over xmas and that was bad enough, definitely worth having the shot especially if you are in the at risk category

epicyclo

paulosoxo – Member

Oops, didn’t really want to know that. I’ve just had the jab and I don’t want GB again….

Just have to keep everything crossed I suppose. 🙂

monstamo
    Free Member

I’ve been in bed for the last 4 days with flu and now been diagnosed with pneumonia.

I was a cynic about all the these health scares but given the way I feel just now…. I’ll be first in the queue for a jab next winter. The wife has had it too – not the best start to the year

psling
    Free Member

Despite Dr Tinners commendable bedside manner ( 🙄 ) my asthmatic daughter has had the flu jab regularly for the last few years and always suffers for a few days after. Having said that she would concur with Tijuana Taxi when he says

…slight reaction as usual, but as an asthmatic I really wouldn’t want full blown flu.

CountZero

I get a jab at work every year, and just get a tender arm for several days. I have had flu. I’ve also had Scarlet Fever. Flu is not something I ever want to suffer again under any circumstances. Five days in bed unable to do anything except feel unspeakably ill. I wouldn’t be surprised if one or two people almost want to die to end the misery. Anyone I meet who says “oh, I don’t feel well, I think I’ll go to the doctors cos I’ve got the flu” I just want to slap very hard. It’s a vile disease that kills people. If you can stand up and walk around it’s a cold. Simple.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

paulosoxo – Member

Oops, didn’t really want to know that. I’ve just had the jab and I don’t want GB again….

Just have to keep everything crossed I suppose.

It’ll be sweet 🙂

scaredypants

flu’s probably at least as good a trigger for GBS as the vaccine is, and likely a bigger factor

paulosoxo – you better yet ?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Home, and walking with a stick, feeling a lot better. Thanks for asking.

finbar
    Free Member

kimbers

as a tin foil hat aside ive been told by 2 workers in the nhs that they are being told to under-report the number of flu cases they are seeing so as not to scare people

dr_death
    Free Member

I’m working in A&E and I think I’ve only seen about three people who genuinely have had the flu….

I have however seen about three million people with a **** cold and no testicular fortitude. I have been prescribing a lot of MTFU – Stat.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Steve, they look like just the ticket.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘the flu jab, have you……..’ is closed to new replies.