Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The Five Ferries route
  • Kunstler

I’m thinking of having a bash at this at the weekend. I have an idea of setting up a fund raising event for the charity I work for later in the summer.
    I’m just wondering what sort of time people get around the route. I’ve been looking at this as a guide but am sure I can be quicker. The first two ferries will be fixed times in my itinerary as I’ll be going by train from Edinburgh but the others I might catch earlier if I can curb myself from stopping to take photos every 100 yards.

StirlingCrispin

Ooh – I’d not realised you could do this route on such a late start.

Anyway, seven ferries is where it’s at now 😉

http://www.ctcfifeandkinross.org.uk/stuff/The7FERRIES.pdf

Ignoring the Cumbrae ferry this gives you some idea regarding timings.

MrNice
    Free Member

that 7 ferries looks fun in a “not your typical day out” way. How flat/hilly is it? Just getting an idea of how tough a 100 miles it would be.

EDIT: just seen it does say whether each leg is hilly and flat. Guess I need to go and look at the maps…

Kunstler

That’s interesting SC. I can’t make 7am sailing unless I stay overnight and I want to keep costs low so it’ll be train out from Waverley for the 9.45 crossing.

What’s the event there – club run? Fundraiser? I’m curious as it falls on my birthday and I’m hoping to do something big on it as it’s a landmark one.

MrNice – on the five ferries route there is 4000 feet of ascent over 54 miles. For the seven – I don’t know how hilly it is between Wemyss Bay and Ardrossan (not much I think) but the road around Great Cumbrae is entirely flat.

MrNice
    Free Member

Kunstler – cheers. I live in the peak so 4000ft in 54 miles isn’t scary (I hit just shy of 6000ft in that distance last weekend).

I may have found the big day out I was looking for. If only there was a way to guarantee good weather in Scotland 😆

larrydavid
    Free Member

Done it a couple of times. Riding from Glasgow had a riding from Glasgow strava tells me 261km in 11.13: https://www.strava.com/activities/151320587

Bear in mind on a good day the ferries can get very full with bikes…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘The Five Ferries route’ is closed to new replies.