Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 667 total)
  • The First STW Religion Poll
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Strange that a “way” which has been constructed by a Super-Intelligent Being actually needs interpretation. You’d think it would be obvious.

Communication Skills not it’s forte, presumably.

princehuggy – back in the day, we used to call this a “cop-out”.

perchypanther
    Free Member

In fairness, it’s the interpretation of what ‘God’s way’ actually is that’s a large part of the problem, PP

I assume you’re referring to this……

It’s men and women that are the problem, not a belief in God. If everyone did it God’s way, then there wouldn’t be a problem.

…which I didn’t say….because I don’t believe it’s right. It’s as proscriptive as all the other bollocks in this thread

If I had said it I would have gone for …

If everyone did it their own way and respected everyone elses choice to do it their way, then there wouldn’t be a problem

princehuggy
    Free Member

Strange that a “way” which has been constructed by a Super-Intelligent Being actually needs interpretation. You’d think it would be obvious.

Interpretation is the big issue , God’s Word doesn’t need it.

If everyone did it their own way and respected everyone else’s choice to do it their way, then there wouldn’t be a problem

Agreed. That should be the starting point for anyone’s belief system anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would you think that? What makes you think anything an ineffable supreme being does would make any sense to us? No-one’s saying what God actually IS, I don’t know if organised religion has any thoughts on the topic?

I assume you’re referring to this……

It’s men and women that are the problem, not a belief in God. If everyone did it God’s way, then there wouldn’t be a problem

Well no – by ‘the problem’ I meant the bad things done in the name of religion through the centuries. People thinking that they were doing God’s will.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why would you think that? What makes you think anything an ineffable supreme being does would make any sense to us?

Well if it doesn’t, I don’t much see the point in such a useless creature. Let alone why anyone should feel like worshipping it.

nickc

well, part of the Fermi paradox is “how would we know if there are super intelligent species in our universe if we can’t speak to them” If the only thing you’ve got is electromagnetic radiation and they’re not listening to that..?

princehuggy
    Free Member

molgrips is on the right track here 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Careful, he likes to play “god’s advocate”. It doesn’t mean he agrees with you.

miketually
    Free Member

If everyone did it their own way and respected everyone else’s choice to do it their way, then there wouldn’t be a problem

I think you’re in agreement with most atheists. Now, if you could just convince all organised religion…

princehuggy
    Free Member

😆 very good.

I love a good debate, done it on other forums. You learn a lot about people perceptions and how to deal with ridicule because of your beliefs.

I think you’re in agreement with most atheists. Now, if you could just convince all

organised

religion… [/quote]

I think you’ll find that most religion is not organised. To many disagreements to be organised.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

princehuggy – Member
    very good.

I love a good debate, done it on other forums.

I thought you said it could only be done face to face and forums aren’t suitable?

How about dealing with the actual arguments instead?

GrahamS

4, but bordering on both 3 and 5 (if the OP is still interested).

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think you’re in agreement with most atheists.

This thread would seem to contradict this statement.

For ease of reference i’ll use the “SaxonRider Scale of being a dick about your belief system “

There are 8 pages of atheists telling the god-botherers how wrong they are and demanding evidence. The most widely expressed statement on this thread is about how the 4’s will turn into 5+’s if they feel they’re being preached at or trying to be “converted”.
    The majority of preaching I’ve seen on this thread has come from the 4’s and 5’s and has been countered by a self professed 3.

I could find only a couple of instances in 8 pages of a 1 or 2 “person of faith” expressing the view that the unbelievers should repent.

My own faith, irrational though it may, works for me and gives me what I need.
    I can’t be offended by attacks on my beliefs because they’re robust enough to withstand the words of random internet forummers.
    I have no wish or desire to impose my faith on anyone else.

I’m out.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t much see the point in such a useless creature.

Great! Your opinion is noted 🙂

princehuggy
    Free Member

I thought you said it could only be done face to face and forums aren’t suitable?

How about dealing with the actual arguments instead?
    I didn’t say it could only be done one-to-one, I said it was better one-to-one.

I can still have my little say, can’t I?

kimbers

3 & 5

I find religions and history fascinating, but, despite knowing that it is a comfort to some I can’t understand how anyone could actually believe all that stuff is true.

molgrips
    Free Member

STW is meant to be like a friendly pub. Ask yourself if you would express the same things in the same way in a friendly pub scenario? Would you expect the scenario to remain friendly if you did?

princehuggy
    Free Member

kimbers – It’s about building faith.

When I first started even thinking about getting a new bike, I didn’t just go into a shop and buy the most expensive bike or a bike I just liked the look of (although admittedly I did get a 29er coz I liked the size of the wheels 😳 )

You start with the basics and work your way up. You ask important questions and to the right people.

miketually
    Free Member

I think you’re in agreement with most atheists.

This thread would seem to contradict this statement.

For ease of reference i’ll use the “SaxonRider Scale of being a dick about your belief system “

There are 8 pages of atheists telling the god-botherers how wrong they are and demanding evidence. The most widely expressed statement on this thread is about how the 4’s will turn into 5+’s if they feel they’re being preached at or trying to be “converted”.
    The majority of preaching I’ve seen on this thread has come from the 4’s and 5’s and has been countered by a self professed 3.[/quote]

You’re assuming shouty argumentative forum dwellers are representative of most atheists.

If religion wasn’t used as a reason to control the behaviour of others, most people wouldn’t care about it.

If it’s used as a reason for denying abortions, preventing people marrying, buying things on a Sunday, guaranteeing positions of power, blowing people up, etc. then there’s a problem.

I could find only a couple of instances in 8 pages of a 1 or 2 “person of faith” expressing the view that the unbelievers should repent.

On Saturday, a person of faith was telling everyone who walked past him on Milburngate Bridge in Durham to repent.

nickc

I could find only a couple of instances in 8 pages of a 1 or 2 “person of faith” expressing the view that the unbelievers should repent

Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse.

I’m not a fan of Christopher Hitchens, but I do think that we are protected by the era in which we live. Expressing the views some on here have; would’ve been a very short one way trip only a few generations ago. We all need to not forget that.

Cougar

Why do you assume that the other end of the scale from “practicing religious” is “anti religious”7

Would you assume that someone who does not collect stamps is “anti” stamp collecting?

Is that not a strange assumption to make?

I don’t think that’s very fair, not least because plenty of people are anti-religion (our own dear Woppit probably rates about a 14 on the OP’s scale). Antiphilatelists on the other hand are comparatively thin on the ground.

It’s no different from any other multiple guess questionnaire which asks “1 – strongly agree… 5 – strongly disagree.” The OP is asking, “do you like this, do you not care, do you actively dislike it?” Seems a reasonable set of response choices to me, I don’t think it says anything negative about the OP’s attitudes at all.

Cougar

Expressing the views some on here have; would’ve been a very short one way trip only a few generations ago. We all need to not forget that.

Moreover, in some parts of the world it still is.

slowoldman

There are 8 pages of atheists telling the god-botherers how wrong they are and demanding evidence.

Since atheists don’t have “faith” we have to rely on “evidence”. Maybe that means we don’t get it. Maybe it means we are wrong. Who knows? One thing is for sure in my mind, any uncertainty that may exist is not strong enough to convert me from atheism to agnosticism.

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s used as a reason for denying abortions, preventing people marrying, buying things on a Sunday, guaranteeing positions of power, blowing people up, etc. then there’s a problem.

Hah.. one of many many things used to justify bad behaviour; similarly most atheists do not do these bad things.

The behaviour is the problem, not the cover that these people use.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

(our own dear Woppit probably rates about a 14 on the OP’s scale)

😀

I’m not “shouting”, by the way… I’d say exactly the same thing in a pub or anywhere else. You have to imagine a low tone, friendly demeanour and a constant half-smile. The glazed-eye stare of the true believer will be absent, obviously.

Why is it that, after Atheism states it’s requirement of evidence and that arguments for the existence of a god that do not proffer it will not succeed, that the religious continue to argue their case without any evidence in the belief that they will convince?

Cougar

The behaviour is the problem, not the cover that these people use.

Sure, but that behaviour would be so much easier to correct if they didn’t Truly Believe that it was god’s will and they didn’t had an organisation of mates all agreeing with them, n’est-ce pas?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sure, but that behaviour would be so much easier to correct if they didn’t Truly Believe that it was god’s will

Dunno about that.

that the religious continue to argue their case

Almost all of them don’t. No religious person I’ve ever known personally has done this, and only maybe one or two people have ever preached directly at me in 22 years of adulthood.

In fact almost all the proselytising I’ve seen has come from atheists. So maybe it’s you that should STFU. Can I make myself a 5 on the atheism scale whilst still being one?

SaxonRider

I’m not “shouting”, by the way… I’d say exactly the same thing in a pub or anywhere else. You have to imagine a low tone, friendly demeanour and a constant half-smile.

I’m glad you said that, Woppit. It’s what I’ve always assumed about you. [insert ‘thumbs up’ emoji here]

princehuggy
    Free Member

Some related links:

The Rev Richard Coles doesn’t do a great job of arguing for religion.

Lots of graphs

Believe it or not that’s one prophecy being fulfilled.

Matthew 24:12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold.

It’s understandable why less people are believing in God.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Oh, so if I said recumbents are stupid, and anyone who rides one is an idiot, you’d not think anything of it?

They are though, aren’t they?

What was the question again? 😕

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“In fact almost all the proselytising I’ve seen has come from atheists.”

I’m not talking about proselytising. I’m talking about the hundreds of responses in threads like these, where the religious have sought to convince the atheists that they are wrong.

“So maybe it’s you that should STFU.”

Excuse me? You seem to suggest that I have demanded that people, er, “STFU”, as you put it. I don’t recall doing that, can you find a quote to back up your assertion? And any way, that’s hardly “friendly pub” talk now, is it. Old chap.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s understandable why less people are believing in God.

But more people, globally, believe in God than ever before, surely?

There are currently 2 billion Christians, which is considerably more than the number of people living in Christ’s time.

Cougar

In Adam and Eve’s time, 100% of the population were Christian. It’s tailed off a bit since then.

andytherocketeer

is that 2 billion, 2 billion that signed up and committed of their own choice after reaching the age of majority in their culture?
    or 2 billion that were signed up by their parents?

miketually
    Free Member

In Adam and Eve’s time, 100% of the population were Christian. It’s tailed off a bit since then.

Adam and Eve were Jewish, surely?

miketually
    Free Member

is that 2 billion, 2 billion that signed up and committed on reaching the age of majority in their culture?
    or 2 billion that were signed up by their parents?

It’s the number used by CofE spokespeople to justify their power, I think?

I suspect I am one of those 2 billion, because I was christened and did confirmation too. This makes me inclined to not trust the figure.

Cougar

Adam and Eve were Jewish, surely?

Artistic licence, ahem. I knew I should’ve written “believed in god.”

princehuggy
    Free Member

Are you fishing Cougar? 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Adam and Eve were Jewish. Adam and Steve were fabulous.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 667 total)

The topic ‘The First STW Religion Poll’ is closed to new replies.