Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The first sign of good weather; and they're out……
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

…the competitive MAMILs that is. Cruising back into town yesterday, just resting on the tops, can’t have been doing any more than 20mph….I spot a couple of cyclists up ahead.

Judging by the fact they were wearing water proof jackets, sitting bolt upright, and and one of them was pedalling with his knees sticking out, I expected I’d catch them and have to do an awkward pass, with them ending up sat on my wheel.

But instead, I ended up with a race on my hands. After passing them and saying hello, the one at the front then started to try and over take on the inside 🙄

There was a short drag uphill, so I dropped the hammer and left them in my wake. Then went home and spewed up.

’tis funny though; you never get this problem on the grotty winter days when you only ever see proper roadies out.

singlespeedstu

David.
    Your posts have lost their edge ever since someone commented on your trolling prowess.
    You need to try less hard and you might go back to being funny again. 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m not really trolling 😉 It was just an observation.

I know what you’re on about though; I have less time/energy for typing silly posts on here since my brain started to get better.

nickc

I’m not really trolling

unintentionally true…you’re trying, but you’ve become transparent.

maxtorque

If your riding a mountain bike, and pass roadies, then the un-written rule is that the pass must be made riding only on the back wheel!

(remember, it is us baggy wearing gnar poaching mud throwers that are upholders of the “cool” when it comes to bikes…. 😆 )

singlespeedstu

I have less time/energy for typing silly posts on here since my brain started to get better.

Try drinking more.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pot usually works 😉

singlespeedstu

I have no idea what you’re talking about…

brakes
    Free Member

singlespeedstu:

David.
    Your posts have lost their edge

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have a Daffy…

singlespeedstu

Not sure of your point brakes.
    The OP even agrees with me.
    I’d really love him to go back to his less is more ways of a while back.
    Used to be proper funny.

bearnecessities

Is there a glitch in the matrix?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I am sorry, I just can’t do it anymore. I lose the will, and everyone knows I’m only joking anyway, so it doesn’t even work.

The OP was intentionally written in a provocative manner, but I was hoping for more tales of people getting “raced” by other cyclists.

singlespeedstu

Maybe a new forum name would work. 😉
    If it helps. I’ve been “raced by other cyclists” too.
    It was in a race though.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The first sign of good weather; and they’re out…..

Your moobs?

maxtorque

Get an Ebike? Works for Nico!

[video]https://youtu.be/hwaW-hEO4Lk?t=93[/video]

neilthewheel

I was thinking this would be about Mackems with their shirts off.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member
    Get an Ebike? Works for Nico!

😀

wilburt
    Free Member

…good weather, where are you?

It’s sleet, mud and ice in SE today.

aa
    Free Member

I have sympathy with the op.

Last summer a wizened old clubman cruised past me. I asked if I could sit on his wheel for a bit, he said yes, so I tucked in until we went our separate ways.
    A few nights later I was the overtaken, the guy then dug in real deep to come past me. He was clearly up for the race until the flat became an incline at which point he blew his tits. Mamil tits….
    It ain’t a race (unless it is).
    Know your limits!

chiefgrooveguru

I have less time/energy for typing silly posts on here since my brain started to get better.

I would like a like button to click for this, although I’ll slightly miss your professional trolling skillz.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Caught a young lad out(12ish) with his dad today. He was blowing and dropping off his dads wheel up a fire road in grizedale. Soon as he saw me though he set off with his little legs going like billy-o. Reeled him in and gave him a howdo met by a steely, if slightly ruddy silence. Think I may have unintentionally bruised his emerging ego. Bless.

Made me chuckle. (In a gentle fatherly way)

scotroutes

singlespeedstu – Member
    Maybe a new forum name would work.

Do you think the mods will let him use GW again?

phiiiiil

To be honest I hope they come out during the week as well; I used to see a couple of other regulars commuting over Cannock Chase over the colder months, but I haven’t seen anyone in ages so even someone trying too hard would be an improvement…

RobHilton
    Free Member

I have less time/energy for typing silly posts on here since my brain started to get better

YAY! Good to hear

everyone knows I’m only joking anyway, so it doesn’t even work

Oh, it does – you’re still one of my favourite posters #mancrush

Obvs. I was shocked when you were’outed’; I’m glad that never happened to that nice fellow Mark Datz, it might have broken him.

simmy
    Free Member

I had a similar one last weekend. I was on the Hybrid and had set out on a long ( well for me ) ride of about 50 miles so had a pannier on with my D Lock and few bits of food and drink in it.

The hybrid isn’t light and I’m not one for racing about these days so I was passed whilst going downhill by some bloke on a road bike. Fair enough, lighter bike, thinner tyres no luggage.

What I couldn’t believe was the amount of speed he lost going uphill. He was about 300 – 400 yards in front of me when we got to the bottom of the hill and I stayed in the same gear but stood up into a steady cadence. I had to brake so I didn’t crash into him. I really couldn’t be bothered overtaking because I got the vibes he would be a prat so I just geared it right down and span away behind him.

Got to the flat and he turned to check behind before going round a parked car, saw me and nearly jumped out of his skin 😀

xyeti
    Free Member

I had Exactly the same thing yesterday, rattled past me on the way down, killed himself on the climb? and it’s a big un, He was a big lad, about 5’2″ and just as wide, Done a lot of miles on the road All winter, and have met a few Riders out and about, I got the feeling yesterday that it might be a different place shortly, I’m not looking forward to that after having pretty quiet roads since Oct.

By the time it dries out though i should be on my Full Susser, But the pleasure and fitness the CX bike has given me this winter will be hard to beat.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

2O mph on a mountain bike ? Yeh right o!

wrecker
    Free Member

Pot usually works

Your tolerance has built up. Move onto the hard stuff. 😛

thestabiliser
    Free Member

2O mph on a mountain bike ? Yeh right o!

Don’t be daft. On his BMX durrrr.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All this makes me smile that I spent my weekend surrounded by genuinely fast and talented riders who overall seem non judgemental and chilled. Most of who could and would leave back to the future style flame tracks if they put the hammer down properly. But apart from when racing they just hung out with everyone else.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What where you doing there?

butcher

Never really experienced this one to be honest. Generally just say hello as they/I pass. Sometimes even have a bit of conversation. There may be a bit of chasing down involved, but that’s just a bit of friendly competition, even if it’s mostly in your own head! Getting annoyed….that’s just odd.

Kryton57

I don’t think David’s lost his touch – I mean read this and you start to appreciate how awzums he is…

Cruising back into town yesterday, just resting on the tops, can’t have been doing any more than 20mph…

Wowsers… 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do so love how people make judgements based on seeing someone they’ve never met riding a bike, just the once.
    It actually makes the OP sound like a right pompous arse, to be honest.

legend
    Free Member

See DTF, you haven’t lost it completely! 🙂

Merak

You had me until,.,

can’t have been doing any more than 20mph

jamj1974

There I was interval training on the road bike and this young whippersnapper comes bowling along…

wilburt
    Free Member

You have to be a proper cretin to post a “I dropped this wanna be pro whilst riding a fully loaded fat bike” story.

cheers_drive

OP – would you rather that they overtook you in a car? Better that they are out riding than sitting behind the wheel, even if they aren’t up to your standard, whatever that may be.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘The first sign of good weather; and they're out……’ is closed to new replies.