• This topic has 68 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by juan.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • The first Nukeproof Mega in captivity!
  • alexonabike

Northwind – have you posted the 12mm axle conversion yet? I need it for my mega build!!!

Deveron53
    Free Member

What’s that friggin music in the background? It sounds quite bad!! I feel like you should be playing some Slayer whilst filming this frame. Or on colour related theme, perhaps a bit of black metal?

It was Silverchair! I was wearing an Anthrax T-shirt while filming if that makes you feel any better!
    All I need is my cassette and I’m ready. Photos this weekend of the bike in action.

TomHill
    Free Member

Spoke to Biketart today. I’ll hopefully have mine for the weekend. I love new bikes.

bigjim

I was expecting white stuff to land on the frame at the end.

Northwind

alexonabike – Member

Northwind – have you posted the 12mm axle conversion yet? I need it for my mega build!!!

Sorry mate- 2 seconds, will email you. Not posted yet, my fault

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Ha! Anthrax! Only like the first LP. Shook Scott Not Ian’s hand once and it smelt of fanny. Urrgh!! He had just got off the tour bus! Washed it pretty quickly!

Deveron53
    Free Member

I have one of Scott ‘NOT’ Ian’s plectrums! Saw them at Donington in about 87 and again in 2006.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Ok, starting the build. For those who wanted to know, it has a Monarch RT3:
    Now to read the instructions, on the website as nothing was in the box apart from a brief A5 ‘instruction leaflet’

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/monarch-rt3

chakaping
    Free Member

pull your finger out man

beb

Is the axle 10mm or 12mm? Worried I’ve ordered the wrong pro2 conversion kit!!

Ta

Deveron53
    Free Member

12mm, uses rws x12. better for pro2 bearings.

beb

nice one cheers for that; thats what I’ve got – phew.

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Hi, i’m Luca from Italy.
    From the video, i can clearly see that you chose a L size, i’m in a big doubt for the size now….
    I’m 5.81 ft (177 cm), how tall are you?
    Hard to decide……
    Thanks Luca!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Hi Luca, I’m 6ft 3 inches (190 cms), the L is probably about 1 inch too small for me but it’s good to have a bit of extra room. My Yeti was a L but that was a 19.5. I think a medium might be best for you.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I had an interesting email from youtube:
    Dear MTBDeveron53,
    Your video, CIMG0641.AVI, may have content that is owned or licensed by Sony ATV Publishing.
    No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.
    Sincerely,
    – The YouTube Team
    So, Sony trawls every video on youtube seeing if the soundtrack matches ANY song on their database… How powerful is that computer?

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Hi Deveron, wow it seems they are just triyng to get “small fishes” in the big WEB river…….

By the way, i’ve got my Mega, size M, Silver, and i’ve been out ridng twice yet, and i can just say “WOW” !!!
    It’s really well “pedalable”, also on steep technical trails (roots rocks and whatever), and on the way down, well, is a “Caterpillar” !!!!

This is “my” final set-up:

Bye, have good rides !!!!!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Hi funbiketrentino, what’s the rear shock? I assume it’s an aftermarket replacement unless it’s a different spec in Italy.

I have just had some new bits arrive (rear 2.5 tyre, syncros 1.5 stem, grips, seatpost, saddle, bashring) so my final build will be ready in a couple of hours.

The rides I have completed so far have been mainly technical-ish uphill and I’m very impressed, as good as my 575 but with better front-end behaviour. I’ve yet to give it a full-on downhill test. I’m visiting Stanage Causeway, The Beast and Blackley Roman Road this week followed by Cannock on Sunday.

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Hi Deveron, you’re totally right, this is NOT the original shock, but is my DHX5, also here in Italy they sale it with the Monarch……
    Just because i know the Fox set-up very well (sorry Nukeproof Factory ;-)), i replace it immediately, and i’m conscious about all “warranty rules” !!!
    What you said about the 575 is true (i’ve already tested it, and many other brands as well), but the Mega is very well “planted” on the front wheel!!
    If you wanna test it on Dolomites Trails come over here during this summer !!!
    Cheers Luca.
    http://www.paganellabikepark.com

matthias247
    Free Member

How large are you and how do you like the fit?

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Hi Matthias, I am 177cm (5,81ft), and i feel very well on size M.
    I was riding a Giant ReignX size M (2010 model) until two weeks ago, and on steep climbs i feel that the Mega is better.
    The reign was “sitting down” very easily, the seat post angle was more closed, so i think this give to the new frame (seat post more vertical) more stability also without an adjustable travel fork.
    This my “modest” opinion….
    Ciao Luca.

trout
    Free Member

hi funbiketrentino. I want to say we had a weeks riding in the Alto Badia region of the dolomites a couple of years ago and it was the most spectacular riding I have done in nearly 30 years of mountain biking I love the Dolomites and will be back next year.

on to the Mega Third ride on mine today and up a loose granny ring slog it was ace I am like a dog with 2 tails. loving all things about the new bike .

Needs a chainring protector though for the bouncy downs

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Hi trout, nice to hear that you like my region, but how it could’nt be like this ;-).
    If you come back here, don’t forget to call me !!

About the bash, i’ve tried now, to ride for one and half month without it, first with the Giant, and now with the Mega, and also on the most bouncy/rocky/jumpy trails i never had a chain problem….
    I use the chain guide very tight on the chain ring, which give more tension to the chain, but does’nt affect the pedaling action.
    I use a Truvativ crankset, and i’ve find a good chain line for this bike, adding a spacer on the left BB cup (even if is a 73mm and is not required any spacer).
    I’ve forget to say that obviously, if you smash the chainrings on a rock that will be bad, but we must try as much as possible, to “float on the stones” 😉 !!!
    Luca.

matthias247
    Free Member

Thanks Luca,

I’m similar in size (1,75m) and still try to find the right size, but it seems that M should be ok. Das ist feel longer than the Reign X? I also have a Reign, but a 2006 Reign (without X) 🙂
    Did you already ride switchbacks or other tight stuff and think that the long wheelbase is a problem, or not?

I was also in the Dolomites, but only for skiing. But I know you have very steep mountains, so if you say it climbs good I trust you 🙂

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Today we are going for a 1600mt of climb Tour, up to the top pf Marzola Mount, i will tell you something later ;-).
    By the way there are plenty of switch backs there, and the long wheel base is not a problem if you manage to do “nose press” !!!!
    Ciuss!!!

funbiketrentino
    Free Member

Great day yesterday!
    We did almost 1600mt of climb, and 1790mt of technical descent (we did a car shuttle at the beginning), in about 33km.
    The bike climb very well also on steep wet conditions (roots, slippery rocks, etc.), but on the way down was really impressive !!!
    This is a small video (i’m not a professional video editor, sorry ;-)), but at least you can see the Mega “in action”…..
    [video]http://vimeo.com/24690159[/video]

robotxander
    Free Member

Guys, sorry to bring back an old thread, but need to know if my 2010 Mavic Crosstrail rear wheel will fit this frame as I have one arriving in 2 weeks:

Wheel spec:

Rear axle size: 9 x 135

Same as here:

Link

Thanks for any info offered

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

They’re 12x135mm aren’t they? So no.

robotxander
    Free Member

Bugger, any chance of an adapter? 🙂

I’ve been looking but no luck

juan
    Free Member

OMFG I have not heard silverchair in freaking ages 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘The first Nukeproof Mega in captivity!’ is closed to new replies.