Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • the first major news story you remember?
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Torvill and dean. It was 84 so i was 6. Vividly remember watching it. Piper alpha, zebrugge and lockerbie all firmly etched in my mind but they were later. Being Scottish i think made piper alpha and lockerbie stand out more.

Later ones to have burnt themselves into my concious were Dunblane ( i was at a school 18 miles away) Diana ( was driving home from a girls house v late at night) and of course 9/11.

Royston
    Free Member

Reading through this makes me feel a bit old. For me it’s probably Scotland qualifying for Argentina’78. Brought up in Scotland and in primary we all learnt ‘We’re on the march wi Ally’s Army, We’re all off to the Argentine, and we’ll really shake them up when we win the world cup for Scotland are the greatest football team’ Good times! sadly no longer

clipper247
    Free Member

Iranian embassy was the first big story I can remember, closely followed by the Falklands.
    Diana died on my first wedding anniversary, so for quite a few years after I would start seeing things in the paper about the anniversary of the death approaching, reminding me to go get a card.

integerspin
    Free Member

I remember Donald Campbell’s crash, Churchills funeral, Cassius Clay and Henry,
    The Great Train Robbery and Jim Clarke winning the world championship. I have no idea of the order or dates.

I was talking to a relative and he was saying about coming to see us when we moved to Tredegar. His dad had a radio in his Standard 10 and when they left our house the news came on the radio that Marilyn Monro had been found dead.

Anyone remember a news story about LR industries, it was on the telly quite a few times for a while, I asked my mum what they made and she fobbed me off with some bull. Moving on some years, I went to a greasers pub off the north circular and we passed a building with the “London Rubber Company” on it, I asked someone if it was LR industries and was told it was the old Johnny factory.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Hillsborough – remember being in my grandparents front room and seeing the crowd on the pitch, too young to understand the significance of what was happening though

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

mary rose, had a morning at infants school not doing normal school stuff to watch it on the one school tv, then we had the nit nurse checkup in the afternoon

falklands, what I really remember is seeing the troops coming back from falklands to southampton on the ferries

Watty

Churchill’s death and funeral. Probably because it meant so much to my Dad, who was a copper at the time and often guarded the Churchill residence in Hyde Park Gate.

whitestone
    Free Member

@integerspin – I remember Donald Campbell’s crash as well.

After my parents died, my brother and I were going through their effects and going through the various photos came across one of my brother and I standing in front of a shed. It was obviously winter as we we both dressed in heavy coats and there were no leaves on the trees, etc. but we couldn’t figure out why our mum had taken this shot. Then I noticed a bit of blue poking out from under a tarpaulin and realised. We’d gone over to Coniston and been having a look around the yard where Bluebird was being kept. This was the weekend before the crash, probably just before we went back to school after New Year given the dates.

Dolcered

I remember a few mentioned, the one that stands out was Lockerbie. 1988, so I was 9.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

fobbed me off with some bull

Cock and bull surely?

jeffl

Marchioness disaster in 89 and Herald of Free Enterprise in 87 spring to mind. Would have been 10 9 respectively. Bit of a theme there.

slowoldman

The black and white images of Donald Campbell’s fatal crash in Bluebird.

Oh crikey yes.
    And Jim Clark’s death as mentioned above – he was my hero at the time.

rocketman
    Free Member

Can’t remember the ’66 World Cup

Mum seemed pretty impressed with the first heart transplant (’67) but the first story I recall was Apollo 11 (’69)

DezB
    Free Member

IRA bombings. Not sure which specifically, but they come to mind as the first news stories that affected me aside from my dog getting into a fight.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Born in ’86 so:

Yugoslav Wars, most of the 90’s.

IRA bombings (I’m sure I remember Manchester, and the Omaha bombing).

Dianna, the 1997 election and Welsh devolution all in 1997 (I grew up in Wales).

Although I always used to watch the news I think Diana was the first story I probably actually understood and followed rather than just being something that was happening. The first two were just things that had always been happening. Which makes me wonder quite how normalised the ‘war on terror’ must be to anyone under 20 who probably wasn’t aware what the WTC attack was?

verses

The main ones that initially sprung to mind were;

Hungerford massacre
    Locherbie
    Zeebrugge Ferry

But growing up in North Yorks, I guess the miners strikes were earlier and had more impact. However I probably remember that more for it affecting people around me at the time, rather than being on the news.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Apollo 17 launch, ok I don’t remember it per se’ but I was on the beach in my nappies in my Fathers arms… so I’m told.
    Then the fascination for space travel began.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I think it would be Terry Waite for me, difficult to tell given the time involved.

me too.

born in 84 so i am too young to remember the kidnapping (would have been 2 YO) but i seem to remember months/ years of him on the news ‘about to be released’ – perspective/ memory are funny things though; could have been a week. He was released just before my 7th birthday.

I definatley remember john major taking opver as PM, that was near my 6th birthday.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

IRA bombings (I’m sure I remember Manchester, and the Omaha bombing).

I distinctly remember those but I’d have been reasonably old by the time – Manchester i would think I’d have been 14 ish. The odd thing is I’m aware of NI retreated bombings and riots going on all the time when i was a child but it was all such permanent background noise with the ira most of it i can’t really remember as anything out of the ordinary.

Birmingham 6, guildford 4 and maguire 7 ring a bell but couldn’t remember the time frame, though largely like Terry Waite it will have been ongoing my entire young life.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered to check dates but, miners strike, falklands, IRA bombings, challenger.

Nothing’s changed.

doris5000

Odd. Until now I had no idea that the death of Churchill was a massive news event.

Seems obvious really. He was enormously famous. Of course it would be.

If you asked me to name some major news events of the 1960s I could rattle off a dozen without stopping to think. But I actually just had to google when Churchill died 😕

PJM1974
    Free Member

I remember the Khmer Rouge atrocities in Cambodia being on the news. I also remember silver double-decker busses on television, too.

crazy-legs

Oh I remember Zeebrugge. Again, I suspect it was John Craven’s Newsround.
    Was 9 at the time but then at secondary school a few years later, one of our science textbooks (printed pre-1987…) had a picture of the Herald of Free Enterprise at the top of a text block about how ships float.

If everr there was a picture that hadn’t aged well, that was it!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Chernobyl probably, I can mind there being a big of a panic in the playground going round about it, I’d have been in primary 4 so about 8 yo.

Canny say i was much into current affairs before then!

Was going to say challenger, but tbh I think i only found out about that a year or 2 later when we were doing a space thing in p6.

after that I can remember loads, but nothing before, the like of hillsbourough, piper alpha and enniskillen are big events that pop into my mind about the 80s that i have vivid memories of. I’ve vague memories of the 86 world cup.

Otherwise, the big events were climbing tree’s, 10-21ers and water fights! 😆

matthew_h
    Free Member

I can remember Lord Mountbatten’s funeral being shown on the television and I was 4 and a half so that must rank as one of the earliest.

Keva
    Free Member

Maggie Thatcher being elected
    SAS storming the Iranian Embassy
    lots of stuff about Ayatollah Khomeini
    continuous fighting in Beirut and Lebanon
    Wars in central America
    I also remember my mum calling President Carter ‘fish face’ ? when he was on the news.

not sure which of the above was first though.

kennyp
    Free Member

The moon landings in 1969 (I was 5 years old). Made a huge impression on me at the time and which has endured to this day. Still waiting for that Lego Saturn V to come back into stock so I can relive my childhood.

antigee

Kennedy being shot I was 4 but I remember my much older brother who listened to the World Service running into the kitchen to tell us and I had no idea what he was on about but my mum was upset

Had to google date Churchill’s funeral as would have said close but 2 years later

seosamh77
    Free Member

just asked this on a whatsapp group, someone posted up this which i do remember.

1985 gas explosion in kingspark, would have said it was the 90s before googling! not far from where I was brought up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/29/newsid_2527000/2527321.stm

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘the first major news story you remember?’ is closed to new replies.