Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The final instalment! Bikepacking the GR5 Part 9 – Arriving in Nice
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

It has been long, it has had its ups and downs, i’ve struggled, i’ve triumphed and learned a lot (both about bikepacking and making websites!) but the final instalment of my series of articles about mine and my friend Jan’s GR5 trip has arrived. The last day was a big one, almost 60km!

I can imagine some of you are sick of these by now since they have taken so long but some might still be interested and I felt like since I had come so far in writing them that I had to finish the series and take you on the journey all the way down to the sea. It is a nice collection to look back on the trip and if someone is searching for info about the GR5 one day then hopefully it will prove a useful little bank of information.

Since we had seen the elevation profile of the last 50km of the route in a hikers GR5 guide book a few days before we were totally under the impression (read delusion) that our last day would be basically all downhill, from up high in the mountains, right down to sea level. Oh how wrong we were.

In conclusion of it all – What a trip and I would definitely recommend bikepacking to anyone wanting to give it a try! Especially along the GR5 it takes you through some truly stunning landscape and along some incredible trails (just bear in mind I love mind technical stuff 😉 )

Enjoy…

Day 9 – Le Caire Gros – Nice

Here are the previous posts

Overview

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

A little taster of Day 9’s adventures…

gaberin
    Free Member

Looks amazing, just need to find a mate crazy enough to do something similar.

BenjiM

Excellent write up! I did it with my dad back in 2004, although we walked it from Modane. Sadly we under budgeted for the cost of the beer at one of the Gites and spent about 3 days food budget in one night. I’m hoping to do it by bike when I turn 40 in 2019! 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Congratulations on finishing , looks like it’s been an amazing trip

grenosteve
    Free Member

Bookmarked to read the whole thing later.

Only had a quick skim of the website, but this looks like an epic trip with a nice write up and set of photos. Thanks for sharing.

Very jealous BTW! 😀

Andy-R

Wonderful! – it’s stuff like this that makes me wish that I was thirty years younger…..

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Nice one guys!

Andy you’re never too old!

Hope you get it done again Benji!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

And I was just looking for a 10 day-ish bikepacking trip to do after I finish my MSc exams at the end of May.

Last bikepacking in Scotland was a bit.. damp.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Yeah that would be amazing, I think you might still have quite a bit of snow on some of the cols at the end of May mind. If you can hold your excitement and leave it until a bit later in the year it might be better! Although hotter!

MadBillMcMad

bookmarked – looks fab – very jealous

allthepies
    Free Member

page not found on a lot of the links ^^^

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

dammit, well you can find them all here

https://anyexcusetoride.com/category/gr5

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The final instalment! Bikepacking the GR5 Part 9 – Arriving in Nice’ is closed to new replies.