Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The fear of using really expensive bikes
  • Anonymous
    Free Member

A cull of the herd and resulting sales plus an unexpected windfall got me thinking about something special. Like Specialized S works (Epic Marathon).

So even if I could afford it outright it’s a massive chunk of dosh to have tied up in MTB. Warranty seems pretty comprehensive so cracking issues etc seem covered. But racing can lead to offs so how about crash replacement – 20% off RRP – ouch puts a slightly different complexion on hooning it down trails littered with rocks (eg Manx 100)

Brain, an extra set of bottle bosses and 2lb lighter than my Spearfish vs terror of breakage. The risk doesn’t add up for me so I’m not going for it but it made me wonder if I’m just being paranoid or wise.

jam-bo

its only a risk if you can’t really afford it in the first place.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Surely it would be 20 percent off the frame?

Anyway Ive always thought it was better to have a heavier and cheaper frame and light expensive components. You centralise mass and spread risk in the event of a crash.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Not really true as he mentioned a windfall.

Its very possible to save up to be able to afford something as a one of that you absolutely wouldn’t be able to replace on a whim if you snapped it…

TBH i’d save the cash and go for something your going to feel comfortable riding on, the last thing you want on a very techy track is to be thinking about your bike rather than your riding!

Tracey

After we crashed two S Works, an Enduro and a Stumpjumper, in the Alps this year I was pleasantly surprised at the crash replacement costs of two new frames. Also on how Specialized made it so easy to sort out.

Never thought about the risk, still don’t, but I’m sure the equivalent ally frame would not have survived.

aracer
    Free Member

If you can’t afford to replace then insure it.

D0NK

its only a risk if you can’t really afford it in the first place.

cobblers. Same stuff is bandied about for stupidly prices spares for top end gear. You want something so you budget and save up for it, if the item then breaks prematurely then you’re in the shit, that’s not bad-budgeting/being too poor to afford stuff that’s crappy products/warranties and silly priced spares.

If said item actually lasts a reasonable time then you decide if it’s worth the extra cost and budget accordingly for replacement unit when current one hits end of life (or a new “standard” comes out 🙄 )

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had this a couple of years ago with a road bike.Built a £6k TCR sl dripping with carbon to race on.I was so petrified about dropping it I’d back off and not go for gaps when racing crit/bunch riding.Bought a PX frame (in sales) and stuck worthy kit(ultegra not DA,px tubs) on it and suddenly my results improved as I started riding assertively and taking risks.Ended up podiuming at a town centre crit 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey. You’d have to have some kind of major smash to break your frame, and I suspect the frame would be the least of your worries. I’ve never even cracked one in 20 years of biking!

I’d go for it – and if you break it, figure something out then. A s/h replacement, or something cheaper from the likes of On One. If it lasts 2 years then you’ve had 2 years of nice biking; but it will very likely last ages.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you cannot really afford it in the first place you wont have been actually able to buy it in the first place

Never bothered me as all my bikes break/crack and end up in the bin. Thankfully the industry has done something about this and now they become obsolete whilst still being functionally sound
    THANKS

OP Aracer is right you will insure it and it will therefore be covered for accidental damage/breaking.

molgrips
    Free Member

How the hell do you crack frames Jy you must weigh 50kg wet.

Anonymous
    Free Member

One off cost – OK (just)

One off cost then tangle with someone while racing and crush a tube or smash a tube on a stick/rock and have to pay trip to Moab for a frame = miserable for a long time.

D0NK

How the hell do you crack frames Jy you must weigh 50kg wet.

it’s a talent he has. He’s good at ribs aswell.

PS most bikes ridden normally will probably last OK, start crashing and the frame hitting pointy bits of rock I can see causing major damage.

legend
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Blimey. You’d have to have some kind of major smash to break your frame

Not really, just takes the wrong impact in the wrong place e.g. people ruining Giant Anthems by kneeing the toptube – knee fine, frame dead. or ditching the bike onto pointy rocks and one going through a tube.

Not common occurrences, but doesn’t take a monster crash to happen.

njee20
    Free Member

How many times have you done that? Odds of getting irreparable damage… Pretty slim I’d say.

Get insurance, and enjoy it.

The Epic Marathon isn’t an S-Works though, two different models.

tazzymtb

I ride stupidly expensive niche bikes..if they break they break, no point in having something ace if you youre not going to rag the tits of it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its how he treats his women as well 😉

legend
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

How many times have you done that? Odds of getting irreparable damage… Pretty slim I’d say.

Hence me saying:

Not common occurrences

My comment was in relation to molgrips saying it must take a beast of a crash.

P20

I wrote off my ASR5c in a crash. I smashed th downtube in to a large chunk of Lakeland rock. Claimed on the house insurance. That’s the only one smashed despite years of owning Yetis, Kleins, Ritchey etc

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve been through this too, having broken my fair share f frames over the years, and more parts than I care to count, eventually you have the epiphany moment when you realize that the reason you bought it was to ride it, and by being all scaredy cat about it you’re not enjoying it.

At that point you either start buying cheaper or at least more sensibly priced bits or you carry on, but stop worrying. As long as you’re not stretching yourself to buy stuff you can’t afford then it’s a non-problem.

I am more grumpy when I break expensive kit, but I don’t let it influence my riding.

I am a bit more careful about buying mid range kit rather than top end where it’s likely to be regularly on the receiving end of bumps with the harder parts of nature (ie: mechs, rotors, rims etc).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My bikes are insured for use and racing along with general theft.
    The excess is higher for Carbon and Racing but it means I can cover anything that falls outside of warranty or normal crash replacement. I’m happy throwing carbon bikes round the place.

stumpy01

I’d not wanna ride something that I was constantly worrying about breaking.
    But equally, for me a bike is a tool and I’d only buy one that I was happy to not worry about damaging somehow.

If you don’t think you’d be happy/confident riding it due to the potential cost, then get something cheaper.

A few years ago there was someone on the ThetfordMTBracing forum moaning because he’d just fitted XTR to his race bike and was going to have to bail from the race because the rain had mean that his XTR stuff was going to get too worn in the conditions!!! 😯 Pointless bike, then. And not even a ‘race bike’ if he’s not going to ‘race’ it.
    Might as well have bought SLX and had something usable all the time.

stewartc
    Free Member

Managed to write-off an SB66c front triangle earlier this year (actual crash not production related) but it wasn’t something that I was too bothered about as it kind of goes with the territory of mountain biking.
    If you worried about the cost of the bike then its taking your mind of the pleasure of riding, its the wrong bike for you.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Broke 3 Spesh frames. All dealt with, without fuss by Spesh. To be honest, probably the most easy people to deal with bike issues and resolving problems, from others I had issues with. Go for it, spend your money and enjoy.

aracer
    Free Member

I broke my carbon Scott Strike by landing top tube on a rock – claimed on insurance, hence the suggestion above. Though you’re right, it wasn’t irreparable – that’s what I’d do with it if something similar happened to my current carbon frame, hence repair is also something to consider. As you say, most damage can be nowadays (in fact I think I’d be tempted by carbon on that basis!)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The fear of using really expensive bikes’ is closed to new replies.