Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The False Start Rule at the Athletics Worlds. (Contains an almighty spoiler)
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Some huge names getting DQ’d due to the one strike and you’re out rule. Bolt being the biggest name of all.

geologist
    Free Member

Im gutted, Bolt is a true great. He’s one of those rare sportsmen than always provides compelling viewing. If you know what I mean!

I hoped that they would let him back in, but alas!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Daft. They’ll just end up with seriously peed off crowds, (who’ve paid lots of money to watch the World’s best athletes compete), and seriously peed off athletes (without whom they’d have no event). And I don’t think the sponsors will be too happy if some of their top billboards are out of the running and people are turning off their tellies cos it’s no longer worth watching…

The old yellow and red card system was fine. The one strike rule is just silly. Typical blazers making up draconian rules without considering all aspects as usual. 🙄

Sawyer
    Free Member

I don’t understand what was wrong with the yellow card for the whole field rule after one false start. Takes about 30 seconds longer.

Was gutted for Ohuruogu yesterday.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It wasnt broken so why did they try and fix it?

donsimon
    Free Member

It does seem a little brutal insomauch as there is an incredibly small margin for error.
    I would think that first time for a call back would penalise you enough to leave the blocks on the “A” and not the “B” of bang.
    Maybe it’s good because a false start is effectively cheating and the athlete has to modify their start to comply with the rules.
    It’s the same for everyone though and rules is rules. If enough big names don’t make it to the finals I imagine the sponsors will be having a quiet word with someone.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Silly rule as the fastest person has not won
    That said what was he thinking off?

Edric64
    Free Member

Its not a silly rule Bolt FUXXED up the others didnt.You could imagine a lesser athlete trying to get a jump but Bolt is so good he doesnt need to do it

Sawyer
    Free Member

It’s not just about Bolt though is it.

geologist
    Free Member

It’s true, the one strike system is completely mad! Whoever let that one in needs sacking.

midlifecrashes

Why not jut let them run and DQ after the result?

grum
    Free Member

Bolt was miles ahead of the gun, pretty stupid really – but the rule is ridiculous, I didn’t realise it had been changed and was puzzled by how gutted he seemed initially.

nonk
    Free Member

what was the reason for changing it from the 2 strikes rule then?

donsimon
    Free Member

Generate controversy and have people ranting about it on forums?

nonk
    Free Member

well thought through then.

deviant
    Free Member

When it was the old rule with each athlete getting 2 chances, the start of a race like the 100m could be painful to watch….with 8 athletes at the start there was the potential for 8 false starts before people started getting disqualified…often they were called back and reset, then reset again….then reset again, it was very annoying.

When they changed to a false start meaning a yellow card for everybody and the next person to false start was eliminated they got the balance just about right in my opinion.

The new rule whereby a false start automatically eliminates a competitor is awful….deprives the crowd, the sponsors etc….and the guy who won the 100m tonight will forever be told he only won because Usain Bolt was DQ’d….bad for the whole sport.

Sawyer
    Free Member

I believe it’s a TV thing to stop it over-running. I may be wrong though.

Stoner
    Free Member

the “team yellow” was unfair really dont you think?

Either everyone gets a free false start (potentially max 2×8 starts) or no-one gets one (max 1×8 starts).

donsimon
    Free Member

Either everyone gets a free false start (potentially max 2×8 starts) or no-one gets one (max 1×8 starts).

And experience would tell us that the probability of this scenario is…?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know this one is it very very low indeed
    Do i get extra marks if I show my working?

donsimon
    Free Member

NO! I want three independantly verified links to reputable websites, two independant studies from well respected, but not necessarily famous, universities in the states and a sworn statement from the fat bloke in the pub.

Stoner
    Free Member

the potential number of starts is probably not the issue, but every false start adds a lot of time to the race schedule.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

NO! I want three independantly verified links to reputable websites, two independant studies from well respected, but not necessarily famous, universities in the states and a sworn statement from the fat bloke in the pub.

Without the opinion of a medical professional, this is worthless. This may apply to almost very single possible question, it would seem.

mt
    Free Member

Sawyer – Member
    I believe it’s a TV thing to stop it over-running. I may be wrong though.

Absolutley correct on this. IAAF try to make thing better for the telly. Pillocks.

Markie
    Free Member

the “team yellow” was unfair really dont you think?

Agree completely. Putting everybody on a yellow because one athlete false started was a nonsense.

Although as Elfin pointed out, it’s not just about what’s the most fair system for starting a race… crowds, sponsors, TV audiences, these all matter too.

If they do decide to change the current system, I’d say bring back the system of individual yellow cards – though figure fat chance of it happening, given that making events run to time for the TV audience seems to be among the top priorities…

molgrips
    Free Member

This is equivalent to having only one serve in tennis. It’d mean serves got slower.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In protest, I’m now not going to be attending any athletics events during the 2012 Olympics. 😐

There. That’ll show ’em…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘The False Start Rule at the Athletics Worlds. (Contains an almighty spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.