Viewing 37 posts - 2,081 through 2,117 (of 2,117 total)
  • The F1 Thread…
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

All assets up for sale today

http://cagp.auctionhq.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/91/lot/39165/?url=%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F91%2F%3Fpage%3D3

I’m interested in the metrology and composites ply gear

shermer75
    Free Member
    eddiebaby
    Free Member

And after looking at that lot I have little sympathy for their financial problems.
    Carbon fibre boardroom tables? Purpose made brushed aluminium reception desks?
    Hmmm.

tomhoward

Bet those 20 were the ones vettel didn’t win… 😈

torsoinalake
    Free Member

eddiebaby, I suspect if you didn’t have carbon fibre toilets and aluminium desks, meetings with potential sponsors at your offices would last about 30 seconds before they turned around and went home. Glamour and excess wrapped up as the ‘pinnacle of Motorsport’ is what F1 is after all.

the-muffin-man

eddiebaby, I suspect if you didn’t have carbon fibre toilets and aluminium desks, meetings with potential sponsors at your offices would last about 30 seconds before they turned around and went home. Glamour and excess wrapped up as the ‘pinnacle of Motorsport’ is what F1 is after all.

^This

A few second-hand miss-matched desks won’t cut it in reception at a F1 team base!

And lets be honest if they can build an F1 car, an aluminium desk doesn’t require much effort.

back2basics
    Free Member

i disagree about the impact of tables etc,
    for me if a team said “we dont spend money on these stupid types of items we focus on the car, and here is a cup of coffee and a plastic seat” i’d think – cool , good on em, if i give them some of my money, they wont spend it on a stupid carbon table.

andyl
    Free Member

i disagree about the impact of tables etc,
    for me if a team said “we dont spend money on these stupid types of items we focus on the car, and here is a cup of coffee and a plastic seat” i’d think – cool , good on em, if i give them some of my money, they wont spend it on a stupid carbon table.

Unfortunately that kind of thinking is probably why you are not sponsoring an F1 team.

I am amazed by what stuff they have there and it just reinforces the ideas of why it’s so hard for new teams to succeed in F1.

I wish I hadn’t looked through all the auction lots. But a few bids on now and wish I was in a position to buy a lot more, especially the metrology stuff and ovens.

nemesis
    Free Member

Unfortunately that kind of thinking is probably why you are not sponsoring an F1 team.

+1

The companies with the money to spend on F1 don’t think like you…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If you give them some (probably a lot) of your money, then in return you are going to expect a few things. The primary function will be promoting your brand, and coupled with this will be the opportunity to bring your clients in to the F1 roadshow.

If your competitors have sponsored a team with CNC titanium espresso cups and hot and cold running pit girls, taking your clients on a tour of a drafty shed and picking them the least chipped and dirty mug next to the tea urn is not going to cut the mustard.

“But the £5000 they saved on a desk, they spent on 15 minutes in the wind tunnel”.

andyl
    Free Member

Well auction is running and people seem to be paying silly money for some stuff. Couple of makita nicad drills and some bosch screwdrivers that went for more than you can probably pick them up new in the sales.

andyl
    Free Member

2 boroscopes currently at £350 + 10% + vat?

The Ring one is £140 online, sealey one I can’t find but doubt it’s a huge amount.

(lot sold for £400!)

nemesis
    Free Member

So given that Marussia will shortly have little/no assets, is this the formal end of the team?

mickmcd
    Free Member

I was thinking I’m shagged here when a Makita drill sold for 600 quid

Then I bagged a plymatch for 1/10 of the actual cost….WIN

andyl
    Free Member

nice one

andyl
    Free Member

ahh crap. missed the 13hp compressor. Oh well, will have to carry on building my 90hp one 😈

chrismac

Even if Honda produce a stonker of an engine power unit, McLaren manage not to make a completely rubbish car to put it in (stranger things have happened)

McLaren had the best power unit in their car this season from Mercedes. Despite this they still had a bad season which means its either drivers and/or the rest of the car.

PJM1974
    Free Member

McLaren had the best power unit in their car this season from Mercedes. Despite this they still had a bad season which means its either drivers and/or the rest of the car.

It’s how the power unit integrates that’s key, F1 engines aren’t exactly plug & play, there’s all kinds of packaging issues to take into consideration. In the past couple of years McLaren have struggled with aerodynamics, hence the appointment of Peter Prodromou which is absolutely key to McLaren getting on terms with the front runners next year.

nemesis
    Free Member

McL like Ferrari had a bad season at least in part because they made a mistake in deciding what would be most important for performance of the new cars. They also couldn’t get the front wing working for the first half of the season which made the car even worse. They got the wing working better towards the end of the season and that at least brought the car roughly up to where it should be amongst the Merc powered cars.

For 2015, the teams all know that the Merc (team) solution is the best and will be basing their designs on that.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058/9517977/getting-a-grip-mclarens-sochi-improvements-and-the-positive-signs-for-2015

back2basics
    Free Member

Bernie wants normally aspirated v8s for 2016 with “some” hybrid bits
    linky

so instead of dishing out the F1 money pot more fairly, he decides to change the rules so rbr and ferrari and reanult are more happy and “promise” to charge other teams less for engine units.
    Bernie and the top teams get stupid amounts of cash still, and so the big people are happy.

merc can take a running jump as far as he can see it

probably in the wings is Ford and Audi tweeking his ear saying things like “if only f1 was v8 hybrids it would be soooooooo marketable to our customers…”

nemesis
    Free Member

Bernie might but I don’t reckon the FIA would agree to it. Bernie doesn’t own the rules. He never wanted the current engines but they still happened.

V8 normally aspirated engines are dinosaurs with negligible marketing value. This is just RBR and Ferrari kicking up a fuss as a bargaining position because they’re not winning.

back2basics
    Free Member

FIA rule writing is a joke!

reading the end of the article sounds like its worse for HONDA as they wont be able to do any engine upgrades.

linky

thepurist

In season engine development – another great way to keep costs under control. Will Lotus or Sauber make it past half way next season?

back2basics
    Free Member

@thepurist – here here. and it seems the new v6 engine formula is going to be allowed next year, again with the promise offffffffffffff cheaper costs. just like this recent v8 introduction…. f1 and fia seems a bit of a joke,

skiboy
    Free Member

Calm down and stop getting all bothered about something wrote in a magazine.

The rules haven’t been changed yet and bernie won’t be seeing the Re-introduction of V8’s with a bit of KERS bolted on unless he wants to go racing with just williams,lotus, red bull, sauber and force india in a series that is out of date and unattractive to sponsors ???

Does anyone out there really think that Honda would just stand there and say nothing if they had just spent the best part of £100M on developing a V6 for just a season’s racing ?

Think about it people who makes all the noise in F1, Bernie, if he had clout he wouldn’t be shouting as loud as he does as he wouldn’t need to.

back2basics
    Free Member

do you really think bernie cares about Honda ? he cares about the how much money is generated for him, if keeping ferrari, rbr, reanult and the rest of the field happy other than merc and honda, than so be it, in fact merc will tow the line and make a v6 now anyway because they have tasted winning and enjoying the ride

everyone will love v6’s for about 2 years just like these v8s and then they will want to change again

besides, there are still tons of rumours VAG will enter if its v6
    so why should bernie care about honda

the fia seem to have adopted a stand-off affair when it comes to f1, they just agree whatever rules the f1 body come up with and done seem to care anymore

back2basics
    Free Member

HOnda, and presumably with the OK from McLaren strike back
    linky
    seems they are not happy about the change to v6’s though after all their hard work with the current v8 engine.

also, seems the top brass want 1000bhp big tyred cars for 2017 by tweeking the new 2016 v6 engines and abandoning the 100kg fuel limit and fuel flow limits also
    linky2
    so much for f1’s attempt at greening up the sport. perhaps its the low oil barrel thats brought all this on

do we not learn from history f1/fia?

as soon as oil & running costs go up, all these “big players” will leave f1 when they dont see any money in it for them.
    i’m looking at you Honda, Mercedes, Ford, Renault, BMW, Ferr—ah no wait, for them its always a profit cos they are the only ones to get paid to race! 🙂

papamountain
    Free Member

Wow this thread has been quiet for a while, is there a new F1 thread?

Anyway, some bad news just announced about Jules Bianchi 🙁 –

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3166059/Jules-Bianchi-25-dies-nine-months-F1-driver-crashed-Japanese-Grand-Prix.html

Pook

That’s sad news. #ForzaJules

Defender
    Free Member

Very sad news indeed, RIP Jules, you can race forever.

rOcKeTdOg

🙁

cheekyget
    Free Member

RIP

thegreatape
    Free Member

A great shame.

the-muffin-man
    theocb
    Free Member

This is the old thread, new 2015 thread on the link below (there is another Kimi thread floating about too)
    F1 2015 here!

the-muffin-man

I am a prat – I even started the threads!…

…off to ‘tother thread!

Merlinman

Think we’ll close this one now to save confusion?

Viewing 37 posts - 2,081 through 2,117 (of 2,117 total)

The topic ‘The F1 Thread…’ is closed to new replies.