Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Refueling cars in 3s now that sounds safe…..

aracer
    Free Member

But don’t make it mandatory. If you’re on the tyres that’ll go a full race distace, you don’t want to stop for fuel.
    [/quote]

Except the weight makes so much difference to the performance that if refuelling is allowed, the optimum strategy will never be to avoid pitting, even if you’re not allowed to change tyres. Hence allowing refuelling will always rule out the option of having tyres which will go the full race distance (wasn’t there a season where refuelling was allowed but tyre changes weren’t and they still pitted for fuel?) Unless you have the rule suggested above that you can’t fuel and change tyres at the same time – though it would have to be that you weren’t allowed to do both in the same pitstop, otherwise doing both would clearly be the best strategy.

To be honest, the option of tyres which go the full distance wouldn’t make any sense anyway if there was the option of different faster tyres – would only have to be 0.5s a lap advantage to make pitting for tyres worth it, which is less than the typical difference between the current compounds.

pondo

F1 has always been a fuel consumption event…

I think fuel consumption has often been a factor but it hasn’t dictated the race unless refuelling has been allowed. You used to just make sure the tank was big enough to last any race then put as much fuel in as you thought would take to reach the finish – refuelling takes it from being a setup issue with performance ramifications to being THE crucial tactical decision. Don’t like it, not interested.

pondo

Also known as Can-Am

Can-Am died long before true ground effects emerged. [/pedant]

shermer75
    Free Member

F1 Strategy Group looking to reverse overtaking gimmicks James Allen on F1
    I probably have a bit of a controversial opinion but I actually like the way that it’s easier to overtake in F1 these days! I found it frustrating when the aero design was so far advanced that it meant that if a driver got close to the car in front they would lose speed because of the turbulence and not be able to pass. Oh well!

dooosuk
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

CHeaper than I thought…Unless he knows bonuses drive/motivate him

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’d rather see the overtaking on the track, not in the pitlane. It’s meant to be motor racing, not bloody chess.

I do like the idea of the ex-lax though. That one has mileage…imagine, driver comes into the pits, exits the car and runs to the karzy, whilst holding stomach and assumes the position. Meanwhile, two mechanics stand by to remove soiled shreddies and refit new shreddies, while the lollipop man waits for a signal that the driver has satisfactorily completed the required paperwork. Once the lollipop is raised, the driver now sprints back into the car and drives off.

I can imagine the post race podium might be a bit of a mess though.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s in line with Vettel and Alonso which seems about right – the big three tied into the three big teams (Well, RB seem to be self destructing right now…)

thepurist

PJM1974 – and a whole different penalty for an “unsafe release”…

hora
    Free Member

Yes but Alonso’s is a combination of compo for embarrasement/danger money 😆

back2basics
    Free Member

Lewis couldntagrees new deal with ferrariMercedes for 3 years, lets see how long his “happy face” stays around for.

thepurist

For everyone whining about the state of F1 – this is your best chance to have your say:

http://gpda.motorsport.com/

the-muffin-man

I think I was wrong about the new McLaren livery – it looks great out on track. The nearly black seems to look more menacing than the gloss black of the Lotus.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/?attachment_id=298776

shermer75
    Free Member

Agreed, it looks great! 🙂

bombjack
    Free Member

Wow that GPDA questionnaire was a pile of turd, the problem with F1 is that it isn’t really the top formula – There is better technology and racing in far more categories at present, if anything F1 just seems a little lost. I did enjoy the sponsorship questions and being able to reel off ‘baccy companies as being the most memorable though.

shermer75
    Free Member

Some great points being made by Christian Horner about the F1 Strategy Group here: Pipass. Basically, no point in giving the turkeys a deciding vote on whether or not to have Christmas! 🙂

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Big question now is can McLaren find a seat for Vandoorne or will JB get the bump. Best driver GP2 has seen since LH. When I watched Lewis in GP2 I was always impressed by his raw speed and overtaking ability. With Vandoorne he seems to have lighting pace but also fantastic mindset, he seems to get absolutely everything out of the car while keeping his head, reminds me of Alonso.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to seeing him soon then! 🙂

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I dont understand why they dont have a 3rd driver series with reserve / rookies driving. They leave gp2 and sit in the garages ” learning via fp1″ It doesnt even have to be at every race maybe a handful to provide more of a ” show” of talent. They could get familiar with the procedures and car and have a mini rookie series. Would keep the current drivers on their toes!

chrismac

I just wish McLaren spent some time and effort into actually making a car for Alonso that worked. JB will always find fault and a reason for a lackluster drive, but Alonso deserves a car.

Pigface
    Free Member

Horner being the biggest hypocrite in a sport full of them, when Red Bull were in their pomp he was very dismissive of people saying that the rules need to change to make it fairer, now when his team is running a dog he wants the rules to change.

back2basics
    Free Member

Wasnt the reason the way F1 is ruled now is because Ferrari had a veto on all rules by the FIA unless they can say it was for safety grounds, so this group was then setup after Max Mosely got booted out…back then they said it was the best thing since sliced bread for the sport, but as stated above, turkeys will never vote for christmas.

personally i think this is Horners last year at RBR, perhaps taking up a learning role next to bernie in prep for bernies departure, hence all his shouting about where the sport needs to go and how it should get there….

funny, i used to want to root for a rainy GP, but now its so sanitised even when it rains, they fling out the safety car at any point , drs is turned off, drivers cant lap any faster that XYZ time to get to the pits so it all becomes a stalemate, unless someone risks staying out, and they can either be hero or zero within a few laps of safety car….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

According to the beeb Vettel wants more fear in F1. Judging by the beeb’s second story a few old diggers around the circuit should do that. 😕
    Does nobody check this stuff?

sobriety
    Free Member

Not the best layout there, but he does have a point, compared to WEC and WTCC F1 just seems a bit, well, safe.

It’s a combination of dull as dishwater tracks and the drivers having to conserve fuel, and more importantly tyres, meaning that they rarely really push the cars hard. Whereas WEC and WTCC are on the limit more or less every lap.

Also, look at some of the circuits WTCC and WEC race at, Le Mans, Spa (ok so F1 goes there), Nordschelife, Bathhurst (IIRC); tracks where if you make a mistake you don’t just trundle off into acres of run-off, you’re in a wall/gravel trap/cliff. F1 cars are, imo, safe enough for those tracks, the only injuries in recent years have been from freak impacts to drivers heads.

Bring back penatlies in terms of dnfing for making mistakes.

Klunk
    Free Member

wow that boy can drive !

the-muffin-man

As much as I’ve enjoyed watching Kimi in the past, I think this should be his last year in F1. Get Bottas or Hulk into that 2nd Ferrari – they need two drivers pushing to the limit, not just a single leader.

And hard luck on Jenson – that yellow flag really screwed his lap up.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Cara looked absolutely smashed when she was interviewed

shermer75
    Free Member

Who’s Cara?

Klunk
    Free Member

that mclaren is a right dog!

Klunk
    Free Member

rickyardo ?

Klunk
    Free Member

wonder if vettel can crack britney 🙄

Pook

Crap.

Klunk
    Free Member

stupid mercedes

the-muffin-man

Well that’s ballsed it up for Hamilton – big mistake

Klunk
    Free Member

this unlapping is rubbish

northernmatt

Why did they pit HAM? I’m just listening on the radio. Sounds like a bloody silly idea anyway.

Klunk
    Free Member

stitched up by his own team.

the-muffin-man

That’s ruined my afternoon now – HOW can they make such a cock-up.

the-muffin-man

gutted – even worse is Rosbergs smug smiley face.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.