Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • Klunk
    Free Member

michaelbowden

^^^^ is a great photo!

martinhutch

Masterclass from Lewis on how to wind up your teammate: “I had no real threat from Nico throughout the race”

You can actually see the steam from Rosberg’s ears coming into shot at that point. Dummy spit was inevitable.

No wonder Vettel is smirking.

igm

I thought Vettel was thinking “I wonder if I can slip away from this couple having a domestic?”

He’s clearly looking for the exit.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

if ever there was a picture that spoke a thousand words is the photo of the 3 drivers above.
    I saw a red car in the shape of a marrusia once but its the lack of back of the grid tussle that is the detriment to marussia. In previous seasons there was the hrt, caterham and marrusia mini race as well as the one up front. It seems the train of sauber, torro rosso, lotus and occasionally mclaren that catches the eye.

Its says it all when the cameras no longer focuses on the top three except when exiting the pitstops. I think the director got distracted at the lights out bit. Still plenty of focus on the RBR and Mclaren livery throughout.

Poor Maldonado gets a pasting all by himself. He doesnt help his cause but he could be a lot worse and provides some entertainment.

Klunk
    Free Member

is Britney trying to cast herself as the good girl in the white hat and Lewis as the evil villain in the black ?

atlaz
    Free Member

TBH I wouldn’t put it past Lewis to go just slow enough to put Nico in trouble with tyres and/or Vettel but the thing is, if I was Nico I’d just have made some comment about the team wanting the 1-2 and not whinge about it.

dannybgoode

@sharkbait – NL is brilliant, breath of fresh air in F1. I remember after Bahrain (I think) Paddy had made some comment about how Lewis should have been a bit less aggressive and when they interviewed NL and relayed this to him and asked his thoughts he said ‘Well Paddy is an idiot and doesn’t know what he’s talking about”.

As to the whole shenanigans, Lewis has properly got inside Nico’s head now and I would be surprised if Nico wins more than a race this year. Great mind games from Lewis and I look forward to more! Would love to see Nico properly tipped over the edge!

Oh, and is it just me or does Nico look a bit out of shape this year. After Malaysia he looked dead on his feet compared to Lewis and Seb and he didn’t look as spritely this race either. Looks like he’s carrying a few more pounds than last year…

the-muffin-man

Looks like he’s carrying a few more pounds than last year…

That’ll be the extra chunky chip he’s carrying on his shoulder!

nemesis
    Free Member

NL is brilliant, breath of fresh air in F1

He’s not exactly new to it 🙂 Maybe getting a bit more air time these days though he seemed to get a fair bit when he was in red.

Britney posted some video responses to ‘fan’ questions on twitter yesterday and I thought he came across really badly – just sounded like a kid who’d cried, been told he was being silly by his parents and then trying to explain his behaviour to someone while not really believing what he was saying…

shermer75
    Free Member

Who is Britney?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Rosberg on account of his once flowing golden locks.

Sure I read once that someone put a picture of Britney Spears in his passport and he didn’t realise until he produced it at the airport.

boblo
    Free Member

The best Britney quote was Mark Webber (IIRC) passing the scene of the accident with a ‘Britney’s in the wall’ radio call. Someone will remember where/when.

back2basics
    Free Member

an excellent column about Coulthard Coulty

Klunk
    Free Member

sharkbait
    Free Member

You think? I think DC does a pretty good job as does the BBC given the lack of money they have to play with and the small pot of pundits to pick from.
    At least he has won races and raced in a ‘modern’ car, making him able to give more of an insight than Brundle who never won a race and didn’t even race an F1 car this century.
    Whoever wrote the article comes across as a bit of wonker with an axe to grind.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Apparently theses ‘experts’ know better than we the psychology and mindset of a top F1 driver and attempt to speak with an authority that only a true world champion can understand. Their crime is they present themselves as having equal understanding and experience.

I nearly stopped reading at this point. Of course the ex formula one driver is an expert on formula 1 and of course he knows more about it that an arm chair expert
    FFS he will personally know a number of world champions so this might give him a n insight even if he himself lacks this ability

Coulthard’s observations are worth little more than any regular Formula One fan,

I wish i had stopped reading and I did now.
    Lame hatchet job from “social media” once more showing us the Internet knows best

Klunk
    Free Member

Someone will remember where/when.

interlagos 2006, Williams to Webber “Let Nico pit first” to which he replied

“Don’t think so mate. Britney’s in the wall”

njee20
    Free Member

Totally agree, proper arm chair expert, and a pillock with it:

Yet some of these relative failures behind the wheel, consistently heap negative criticism on certain current drivers yet are unable to perceive the true underlying story.

How many F1 races did “thejudge13” win!?

interlagos 2006, Williams to Webber “Let Nico pit first” to which he replied

“Don’t think so mate. Britney’s in the wall”

Incredible, Webber just went up even further in my estimation!

Bez

James Allen hits at least one of the nails on the head regarding Rosberg: Ferrari have stolen his one real chance. They’re sufficiently close that he can’t gamble his way past Hamilton on strategy (especially if Mercedes are still licking their wounds after bungling the strategy in Malaysia); and we all know he generally can’t do it wheel-to-wheel. His only real hope is to nail qualifying and then keep Hamilton behind him. He did quite well at the first part of that last year. Less so the second. Monaco might be rather interesting again this year: I suspect by that point Rosberg will either be fired up if Hamilton has some misfortune in the meantime, or getting a little desperate if he continues to be boxed into the lower steps of the podium.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/04/insight-why-vettel-and-ferrari-were-a-menace-to-rosberg-in-china-but-not-for-the-reason-he-thought/

nemesis
    Free Member

“Britney’s in the wall”
    Mark Webber’s Williams years provided a favourite anecdote about him, which says a lot about his determination, sense of justice and humour.

Like all top Aussie sportsmen, Webber is not immune to a few psychological games to boost his chances. And it was he who invented the nickname “Britney” – as in popstar Spears – for his young, blond and good-looking 2006 Williams team-mate Nico Rosberg, then in his first season.

Their final race together was in Brazil, where Rosberg rammed into the back of his team-mate’s car on the opening lap, breaking the front nose of the German’s car and Webber’s rear wing.

Because it’s relatively quick to replace a front wing replacement but a damaged rear means a likely retirement, the two were given a “priority Rosberg” message over the radio as they headed back to the pits.

Webber, cross at his team-mate’s mistake, was determined to get back first and they began to race – really race – despite Rosberg suffering from lack of front grip and Webber struggling with the rear.

As they came on to the pit straight, Rosberg was just ahead, only to lose control through the flat-out kink before the pits and crash heavily into a concrete barrier.

Webber was right behind him and, as he passed the incident, the team came back on the radio with another “priority Rosberg” message. Webber paused for effect before replying in a languid Aussie drawl: “Britney’s in the wall.”
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/23073995

You can find the actual clip on youtube too IIRC.

I do miss Webber. Not the fastest but a top tier racer nonetheless and a straight talker.

nemesis
    Free Member

And that ‘Judge’ article is piss poor.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

the article seems more like a personal attack on DC’s life choices and pesona rather than critique his ability to do his presenting job.
    Sportsmen / women aren’t media celebrities or presenters but competitors with a single focus to compete and win. Check out the interviews post football matches and players turn commentators ( yes I mean you P neville and A townsend). Even Brundle was poor at the beginning when co commentating with Murray walker. But styles change and presenters adapt their style. There is a reason whey Lauda, Hill and Villneuve dont get more than 5 minutes of camera time.
    Its a shame that Ben Galop ( bbc sport blokey) sold out the f1 coverage after the fantastic work they did with Humphries et al.

back2basics
    Free Member

I think the comments about DC being no more better than a Fan comments is not about his experience behind the wheel, its about HOW he is commentating on racing and the drivers, ie. the comments he is coming out with are utter fan-shipping for his fave racing drivers at the time (lewis, button, webber) or bashing the ones he doesnt like – ie non british –
    and as for his comments about these young drivers who crash, we should all remember those great Coulthard moments where he crashed on the way to the grid, then crashed on the warm up lap, and i also remember a great one where he crashed on the pit entry!

njee20
    Free Member

I think the comments about DC being no more better than a Fan comments is not about his experience behind the wheel, its about HOW he is commentating on racing and the drivers, ie. the comments he is coming out with are utter fan-shipping for his fave racing drivers at the time (lewis, button, webber) or bashing the ones he doesnt like – ie non british –

No, it’s an article saying he isn’t qualified to comment on current drivers because he wasn’t world champion and he lives abroad.

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anything but neutrality from him to be honest, I think he’s a good commentator, not the most passionate, but I’m ok with that. I’d be watching on mute if we had a Rob Warner-esque loudmouth covering it for 2 hours.

He made some comment about Maldonado in China, but as Pastor’s infamous for crashing into anything that moves, and plenty of things that don’t, I didn’t think “gosh, he’s out to get him”. It could have been about the time Maldonado totally missed the pit entry.

andytherocketeer

There is a reason whey Lauda … dont get more than 5 minutes of camera time

Yup, funnily enough there are other nations TV stations in other languages. Lauda was very regularly on RTL (possibly could even call him co-presenter before now, edit: he’s officially the expert for German telly). Very occasionally Coulthard gets a short bit of airtime on RTL when their pit lane guy or the girl grab him for an interview, but not sure if the German audience think or assume he gets little air time.
    Christian Danner is their Brundle/Coulthard. The average brit F1 fan probably assumes he faded into obscurity.

chrismac

Look on the bright side. At least we were spared Eddie Jordan who seems to think he is the Oracle on everything having run a poorly performing team over a decade ago.

back2basics
    Free Member

dont get me started on Eddie Jordan!

the-muffin-man

having run a poorly performing team over a decade ago.

Hard to throw that at him (even if he is an annoying Twunt) – for their budget Jordan did very well indeed. There aren’t many private F1 teams have won 4 races, and had many podiums.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ditto – EJ has plenty of faults but I don’t think poorly performing would be fair to target at Jordan F1 considering the limitations that small teams have – eg the unfair split of money from Bernie.

stumpy01

sharkbait – Member

You think? I think DC does a pretty good job as does the BBC given the lack of money they have to play with and the small pot of pundits to pick from.
    At least he has won races and raced in a ‘modern’ car, making him able to give more of an insight than Brundle who never won a race and didn’t even race an F1 car this century.

+1. I thought it was just a dig for ‘having a dig’s sake’.
    I scanned the whole thing, but should probably given up when he said that Coulthard is no more qualified than an armchair F1 fan.

I wouldn’t say that Coulthard is particularly biased or British-centric.
    He is constantly praising drivers of other nationalities – Verstappen & Eriksson (spelling?) this weekend in China.
    I actually think he’s quite good at praising on driver’s when they doing things well and moaning about them when they get things wrong; Grosjean was a prime example of this.

I think he does a better job than Brundle at providing information to viewers about how the team would be working/thinking and how the drivers would be looking at situations and reacting to things.

It’s Suzi Perry he should be moaning at, if anyone….she always comes across as a bit lost and on constant catch-up.

boblo
    Free Member

back2basics – Member

That just reads nasty for the sake of it. Stopped reading the bilious drivel. Coulthard to me comes over as quite realistic. I’ve heard him a number of times say something like ‘I wasn’t good enough…’. That writer is a spanner.

richmtb

It was utter shite, just a personal dig at someone who is well respected throughout the sport.

If a multiple GP winner isn’t qualified to talk about the sport then who the hell is.

Its a stupid point anyway, Martin Brundle (who won no races) is probably the best commentator in the sport. Ted Kravitz (who has as much F1 driving experience as me) is also excellent.

It just comes across as petty, Did DC try and shag the blogger’s missus or something?

hora
    Free Member

That blog is harsh on Coulthard. Although if we are focusing on his racing he was good but many (non-title winners) were better. I still remember him coming in for his pitstop from the lead and completely ballsing it up with no pressure, nothing. He just binned it before the pitlane on the pitroad in. He wasn’t new then either. He made a few howlers.

But… I’d rather him there as he was part of the sport/he did it/and hes more qualified to commentate on it. Hes also likeable if abit robotic.

Who was the dusky British female presenter who commentated on some Brit etc race series? REALLY liked her for many reasons (and she puts Suzy to shame presenting motorsport).

Edit!

njee20
    Free Member

I still remember him coming in for his pitstop from the lead and completely ballsing it up with no pressure, nothing

Experienced driver crashing whilst not being under pressure? No. Surely not.

I’m just gonna leave this here:

Most crashes (assuming no contact) are just a momentary lapse in judgement, they’re not necessarily because a driver is being pushed to the ragged edge.

hora
    Free Member

I’m just gonna leave this here:

….. I question what really happened. It can’t be driver error.

back2basics
    Free Member

@njee20 – sh** man why didnt you just post up ’94. 🙁

lets relive some classic Coulthard moments, the last one is a peach

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzfnkzYXdfk[/video]

njee20
    Free Member

….. I question what really happened. It can’t be driver error.

Can’t? You sure about that?

dannybgoode

Worth pointing out though that Brundle was driving in an era when there were far more competitive drivers and was never in a prime seat (unless you count Benetton but then he was the team mate of a certain M Schumacher esq).

Coulthard was in a very competitive Williams and also an excellent Mclaren.

Further in Brundle you have one of the few drivers who, in earlier formulas, gave Senna a run for his money and who Senna considered a worthy advisory.

I’d take Brundle over ol’ Iron Chin any day of the week

njee20
    Free Member

Further in Brundle you have one of the few drivers who, in earlier formulas, gave Senna a run for his money and who Senna considered a worthy advisory

Great Freudian slip. I’d say Maldonado is worthy of an advisory for everyone.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.