Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • The end of the double-dip recession?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or the beginning of the the triple-dip recession?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20078231

Does anyone take these figures seriously? apart from Cameron… that explains his ‘good news’ exhuberance yesterday…

footflaps

Or the beginning of the the triple-dip recession?

Yep, once the majority of Osbourne’s cuts to the public sector kick in, we’ll be right back in recession.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Well I’m flooded with work and in the last 4 weeks have had 6 inquiries from small-medium house builders to work on property developments.

This is the kind of movement we need to see at ground level to start moving the economy forwards.

So yes, I think we’re climbing out, although it will be a very long and slow climb…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

A dead dog bounce IMO.

binners

I expect Dave to stick his head out of the door of No 10, and simply say ‘rejoice’

molgrips
    Free Member

Based on what, ohnohesback?

kimbers

glad thats over, does this mean that ill get a pay rise again, or even better my threat of redundancy in 2 months will be lifted?

binners

Is there a breakdown of figures? I suspect what this actually means is that technically, London is out of recession. And as we all know; the rest of us don’t actually exist

ohnohesback
    Free Member

My Doom hackles. The euro crisiss has yet to be sorted. In fact giving Greece a loosening of it’s bailout conditions has just made it worse, though few seem to have realised yet…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Based on what, ohnohesback?

I suspect he’s just heard a phrase that he’s wanted to use for a while and this was almost a suitable opportunity.

molgrips
    Free Member

So a skimming of the nation’s media.

Well armed with that, you are definitely fully abreast of the whole complex situation 😉

fasthaggis

Rejoice you say binners ?

On hearing the news this morn,I marched out with a spring in my step ,ordered a gold plated frappuccino stirring spurtle ,and I haven’t stopped smiling all morning. Bye bye austerity.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

aye its a statistical blip,we’ve been in a bit of a gale,the storm has yet to hit 😈

philconsequence
    Free Member

why doesnt everyone get out ot the ‘recession/boom’ mentality and just accept that its not a good idea to borrow money you can’t confidently pay back anymore… instead of everyone being all wrapped up in the idea of a recession and getting out of it, lets jsut call it ‘that time the banks learnt a lesson and most people suffered because of it, even the ones that didnt borrow more than they could pay back’

or TTTBLALAMPSBOTETOTDBMTTCPB for short

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the idea that uk govt has any control over capitalism is as fallacious as the control a dog has over his cock.

bencooper
    Free Member

Surely it’s the idea that everyone can keep making more money for ever that got us into this situation in the first place?

And aren’t we only actually back to year-2000-ish levels anyway? I don’t remember feeling especially poor in 2000.

The best thing for the economy would be for everyone to STFU about the economy for a bit.

kimbers

oops wrong thread there

binners

Bye bye austerity.

Quite Fasthaggis. I feel the urge to buy something equally spurious. Maybe a diamond encrusted ipad stand? Yes. That’ll do nicely

Happy days are here again…….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

…or not continue to try to get blood out of a stone as many landlords try to. The housing market is flatlined, so are most people’s incomes at best, so there is no reason for rents to continue rising.

hughjardon
    Free Member

philconsequence, I think the fourth T should have been an I?

yes I am bored, and on the dole 😀

rudebwoy
    Free Member

hugh jardon – Member

you tried adult films for work 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

on the dole?! shouldn’t you be doing something useful like cleaning police cars? 😉

seriously though, the concept of a permanent boom only leads to more recessions surely? if people borrowed what they could afford, lived within their means and the banks assessed risk much better whilst having a legal responsibility to cover losses with their profits when lending our savings to people the economy would be a more stable place no?

companies would still fold, other companies would grow, jobs would still be created and jobs would still be lost.. people live, people die. But people need to take responsibility for their own actions and choices, as does the banking industry and regulatory bodies etc.

binners

Communist!!!

dantsw13

Technically, the economy could shrink 10% for 2 months, then grow 0.1% in the 3rd and be out of recession. Repeat that cycle for a year, and you aren’t in recession, but your country is fu@@ed!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And the good news continues to roll, let’s rejoice!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-20078143

Genk, the Ford superplant that the Thatcherites were always lecturing UK workers about how their working practices were so in advance of ours, was announced to be closed yesterday with 4500 livelyhoods going down the U-bend.

As the Springsteen lyric (My Hometown) says. “Foreman says these jobs are going boys, and they ‘ain’t coming back…” Never mind, they can all work in coffee shops or supermarkets…

brakes
    Free Member

The end of a double-dip rescession?

lets hope so. the non-Londoners might pipe down for bit and get some bally work done.

jota180
    Free Member

if people borrowed what they could afford

I’m sure right now, there’s a whole factory load of people in Southampton that thought they could afford to pay their mortgages

rudebwoy
    Free Member

boom and bust is a cycle of capitalism, remember that eejit brown proclaiming”we’ve ended boom and bust”– this time there are more contradictions, the old major economy(US) is stuttering with huge debt, the new major economy(china) is slowing down, so if anyone thinks this is a bright new age you are on good drugs

brooess
    Free Member

Being born in one of the wealthiest countries in the world doesn’t give us a right to continued wealth and economic growth. I think it’s daft to expect that tbh…

Globalisation is the underlying force in our economic situation – previously poor countries are getting wealthier and more politically powerful. I’m not sure what’s wrong with that really. It’s certainly better for them, no?

It’s also beyond UK government to really mitigate against such a shift in the balance of global power.

Labour helped get us in this mess, Tories may be stopping it getting worse or maybe making it worse. Empirically it’s impossible to tell really but I know the UK isn’t like Spain, Greece or Portugal so we could certainly be in a much worse place than we are.

Seems to me best approach is like the bottom of a hard climb. Head down, positive attitude and dig in… Sitting at the bottom wishing it wasn’t there or blaming the bike doesn’t help a huge amount…

binners

Never mind, they can all work in coffee shops or supermarkets…

Part time, of course. For minimum wage! For a company that doesn’t pay any tax! And with that, you’ve summed up George’s economic miracle

jumble
    Free Member

We are a small business. We invested heavily during the recession (it was a hugely frustrating fight to get finance). We raised our prices significantly to reflect the investment. Now we are full customer capacity. So things at the bottom seem better. The attitude of the banks was a joke during this time though.

Talking yesterday to a small business in the building sector. They say that they have never seen so many requests for quotes as they have had in the last 2 weeks. This is a company running for over 15 years.

Totally anecdotal southern based evidence 🙂

binners

Talking yesterday to a small business in the building sector. They say that they have never seen so many requests for quotes as they have had in the last 2 weeks.

Does that mean all the Poles will be coming back? 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

I’m sure right now, there’s a whole factory load of people in Southampton that thought they could afford to pay their mortgages

indeed, as i said above, the ethos of borrowing what you can afford wont protect you from companies going bust etc, but its a good start surely?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Careful there brooess that’s common sense you are talking there…. the locals don’t like that around these parts

kimbers

i think this says more about the economy than georges 1 pc

The growing demand for food banks

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OP – surely your would rather have this data that a further contraction in the economy? But this is a “preliminary estimate” of one quarter’s output. The one thing that you can almost guarantee is that it will be revised at a later stage.

There is little sense in drawing too firm a conclusion from one data point, even when the news is slightly positive. Just as it is silly to knock the government excessively for past weak Q data, so it is silly to give too much/any credit for this.

We may be bottoming, we may not. A lot depends on RoW especially Europe where news remains grim (oh apart from giving the Greeks more wriggle room this week, quelle surprise). We still face a very long period of economic adjustment and one preliminary estimate will not change that.

Binners. The breakdown: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_284925.pdf. Construction still looks bleak from this.

rudebwoy – Member
    the idea that uk govt has any control over capitalism is as fallacious as the control a dog has over his cock.

Where does one start with that…..? 😉

gearfreak
    Free Member

So let me get this straight, the fact that we were in a recession was the Tories fault, but coming out of the recession is nothing to do with them?

Ah, I get it, if it’s bad news it’s the fault of the tories, good news, that just happens.

Would the fact that our interest rates and national debt repayment rates are low because we had a believable plan for getting on top of the defecit have anything to do with our unemployment rates being lower than Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland, Fance and falling where others are growing. Linky. No? Thought not.

binners

Cheers for those THM

Construction still looks bleak from this.

George’s ‘March of the Makers’ isn’t looking to healthy either, is it?

wrecker
    Free Member

the fact that we were in a recession was the Tories fault

I don’t think even with the wildest of imaginations, the recession could be blamed on the tories. Hollande look to be trying to run France into the ground.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

gearfreak – Member
    So let me get this straight, the fact that we were in a recession was the Tories fault, but coming out of the recession is nothing to do with them?

Ah, I get it, if it’s bad news it’s the fault of the tories, good news, that just happens.

Are you new to STW? 😉

Would the fact that our interest rates and national debt repayment rates are low because we had a believable plan for getting on top of the defecit have anything to do with our unemployment rates being lower than Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland, Fance and falling where others are growing. Linky. No? Thought not.

…erm, not quite that simple though is it? Ok, we had a semi-credible plan and GO has done an OK-ish job and a difficult balancing act with market sentiment, but let’s not forget that low IR also reflect an extraordinary monetary policy regime (which BoE states is not really working this week) and the lack of growth. So let’s not give the Tories too much credit either!!!

Oh and lets not forget the simple matter of fixed exchange rates that condemn the PIGS to lower wages and/or higher unemployment. Even Brown wasn’t that stupid to his credit!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘The end of the double-dip recession?’ is closed to new replies.