Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • The end of democracy…
  • bencooper
    Free Member

After the watershed

Dramatic title, I know, but I think the author has a strong case. We have a government ruling without mandate, which we did not vote for. It imposed a policy which was ruled unfair by a court. So it changed the law retrospectively.

The basic idea of democracy is that if you don’t like the government, you can (at widely-spaced intervals) kick them out and vote in somebody different. But in our system, there’s no-one different to vote for, and the people don’t get who they voted for anyway.

binners

Junkyard
    Free Member

Get yourself over to the Cypriot thread and be thankful you are not under the yoke of the unelected totalitarian regime that is the EU

EDIT: for cross posting SHHH he is one of the arguing it

thx1138
    Free Member

Vote for Donald:

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a government ruling without mandate, which we did not vote for.

Wot?

And can someone fill me in on the actual news, cos all that article does is say that there’s no news coverage of it.

ThePinkster

http://wingsoverscotland.com/after-the-watershed/
    I have absolutely no idea what he’s talking about – anyone got any ideas/links?

thx1138
    Free Member

The basic idea of democracy is that if you don’t like the government, you can (at widely-spaced intervals) kick them out and vote in somebody different.

Hmm, former Eton public schoolboy, or former Eton public schoolboy; decisions, decisions…

epicyclo

Hey, we’re subjects not citizens so they can do what they like.

If this was a real democracy then there would not be a superior house of government full of unelected aristocrats, anglican bishops, and appointees with the ability to mangle any legislation, and all topped by a monarchy.

So know your place, be grateful for the crumbs you are allowed to keep of the bread you have made, and don’t forget to tug the forelock when one of the born-to-rule class speaks.

Meanwhile 2014 is eagerly awaited by certain northern would-be citizens.

binners

The basic idea of democracy is that if you don’t like the government, you can (at widely-spaced intervals) kick them out and vote in somebody different.

Lets get labour back in. They have an outstanding record on the rugged defense of justice, respect from all the institutions upholding national and international law, and a constant, unflincing championing of citizens rights

crankboy
    Free Member

Government action deemed illegal. government liable to pay damages to those who lost out because of illegal action. government use time machine to retrospectively change the law.no compensation now payable. Labour do nothing to oppose this.

br
    Free Member

We are back in the circle, of politicians not caring about the people who pay for them…

molgrips
    Free Member

If this was a real democracy then there would not be a superior house of government full of unelected aristocrats, anglican bishops, and appointees with the ability to mangle any legislation, and all topped by a monarchy.

As if it would make any sodding difference at all?

Where’s it better than here?

richmtb

Government action deemed illegal. government liable to pay damages to those who lost out because of illegal action. government use time machine to retrospectively change the law.no compensation now payable. Labour do nothing to oppose this.

Nicely summed up

Ex post facto laws. But hey they only effect the shirkers and the feckless unemployed so why should we care.

Roll on 2014

Lifer
    Free Member

2015?

organdonor
    Free Member

Lifer – I think 2014 refers to the 2014 scottish independence referendum.

By 2015, I guess you’re referring to the General Election? As a matter of interest, what do you think voting the opposition in will do to improve the situation? (Given the cross-party nature of this latest instance)

The government should not have the power to retrospectively change the law. It’s a frightening threat to civil liberty.

mrmo
    Free Member

we don’t live in a democracy, the EU is as democratic as the UK in general. we vote for Mps, we Vote for MEPs we vote , it is the governments that we vote for that apoint the council of ministers etc.

Take the EU out of the picture give the Tories and UKIP the free reign they want and watch what is left of employment rights evaporate.

I hear Shetland is now looking for independence from scotland…

Why is it that the UK is one of the most centralised countries in Europe? why is there no power in the regions, why do local councils have so little power. Oh yes Postcode lottery!!!! You get the whinging that you have a post code lottery but everything is run from london!!!!

Lifer
    Free Member

organdonor – Member
    Lifer – I think 2014 refers to the 2014 scottish independence referendum.

Ah that would make sense because:

By 2015, I guess you’re referring to the General Election? As a matter of interest, what do you think voting the opposition in will do to improve the situation? (Given the cross-party nature of this latest instance)

Not much. Until we have more, smaller parties with a smaller share of the seats there is no reason for politicians to become more representative and answerable to the electorate.

Labour MPs abstaining on this was at best disappointing. But not surprising.

bencooper
    Free Member

I hear Shetland is now looking for independence from scotland…

Well, one Lib Dem MSP keeps wittering on about it* – I don’t think anyone has bothered asking the population of Shetland. But if they want independence, good luck to them.

*who is also quite involved with the Better Together campaign. Odd that someone who wants to keep the UK together is also talking about independence for Shetland, isn’t it?

richmtb

who is also quite involved with the Better Together campaign. Odd that someone who wants to keep the UK together is also talking about independence for Shetland, isn’t it?

Funny that isn’t it. One might even accuse him of being disingenuous.

Lifer
    Free Member

Politicians? Disingenuous? 😯

uselesshippy
    Free Member

What gets me is polititians can’t work out why no one votes.
    It’s easy, they’re all useless **** ****, who don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves and their **** mates from eton.
    Same shite, different coloured tie.

thx1138
    Free Member

Roll on 2014

Is that a type of deodorant?

piemonster

Have any of you considered not voting for labour/Tory/libdem at the next election.

Other parties exist.

binners

I think the major parties may be in for a big surprise, by exactly how many people are planning on doing precisely that piemonster

piemonster

Good

mefty
    Free Member

Alternatively, Government wins substantive points in legal battle but loses one small technical point, which makes the regulations ultra vires. Government appeals decision, but in the meantime re-enacts the regulations so there are compliant with extant judgement to restore the position to what parliament thought they were voting for. When described like this, it is really not that controversial, although I am personally anti retrospective legislation, even when it is aimed at tax avoiders like Barclays.

Lifer
    Free Member

uselesshippy – Member
    What gets me is polititians can’t work out why no one votes.

IMO it’s in the current lots (the big 3)’s interest for low turnouts. Big turnouts may lead to a coaltion with some of the newer parties who don’t know the ‘rules’.

Lifer
    Free Member

mefty – Member
    Alternatively, Government wins substantive points in legal battle but loses one small technical point, which makes the regulations ultra vires. Government appeals decision, but in the meantime re-enacts the regulations so there are compliant with extant judgement to restore the position to what parliament thought they were voting for. When described like this, it is really not that controversial, although I am personally anti retrospective legislation, even when it is aimed at tax avoiders like Barclays.

Finding that stopping benefits for people who refused work fare was illegal is not a small technical point.

And describing it like that is glorious spin.

Lifer
    Free Member

piemonster – Member
    Have any of you considered not voting for labour/Tory/libdem at the next election.

Other parties exist.

Haven’t voted for them at the last 2, thanks. (But have voted!)

ThePinkster

What I find worrying is that rather than vote for one of the other parties than the top 3 the general consensus seems to be not to vote at all, as if that sends some sort of message.

Bizarre attitude but a lot seem to do it, and then complain about the results afterwards.

The only election I haven’t voted in since being old enough to vote was for the local Police Commissioner and that was mainly because I could find no useful info on any of the candidates and the one campaigner who stuck a leaflet through my letter box wasn’t interesting in talking to me.

mefty
    Free Member

The regulations were incorrectly implemented, that is a technical implementation error, the substantive point was that the whole policy breached human rights law and the Government won on this – so I don’t think it is an unreasonable description. But it obviously paints the judgement in the best possible light, but that seems reasonable when every other article referred to on this thread does the opposite.

rattrap
    Free Member

We have a government ruling without mandate, which we did not vote for.

Who’s we?

Without the West Lothian question the Conservatives would have won a majority of 21 seats in the 2010 election!

Why have we had Scottish MP’s voting on English matters? Thats truly people who we did not vote for ruling without mandate!

Roll on 2014 indeed – its win-win for the Tories!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Other parties exist.

Like UKIP (loons), BNP (bigger loons) and the Greens (quaint loons)?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and the Greens (quaint loons)

Out of interest, why do you consider the Greens to be loons ?

bencooper
    Free Member

Who’s we?

Without the West Lothian question the Conservatives would have won a majority of 21 seats in the 2010 election!

What’s the WLQ got to do with a general election?

Oh, and Scottish votes haven’t swung any election since WWII.

grum
    Free Member

piemonster – Member
    Other parties exist.

Yup I voted Green at the last election. Bit pointless though.

scotroutes

You’ve got to think of it as a long-term change. If no one votes for Greens then no one will vote for Greens. Once folk see that it’s a real option – one that might actually result in getting an MP or two – it’ll swing pretty quick.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

might actually result in getting an MP or two

They already have an MP 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘The end of democracy…’ is closed to new replies.