Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The end for Marzocchi
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Just been announced that they’re closing the suspension business and liquidating:The end for Marzocchi

I still hold some hope that someone might step in and buy the bike suspension part of the business during liquidation, but it’s a slim hope.

grahamt1980

Balls.
    I love my Marzocchi forks

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Aw man that’s sad. Remember getting my z1 forks as a 17 year old . Hope the employees etc can get new jobs .

teadrinker
    Free Member

Sad, such a shame. Glad though the forks i bought from crc recently still haven’t been put on the bike. I think they’ll go back.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Pity, been consistently some of the best damped forks available. I’d guess a victim of the SRAM monster group and the OE market

hora
    Free Member

Glad I got my 350’s from crc recently. I’ll also lookout for any NCRs on a deal if anyone sees any.

Mad how no one stepped forward to buy the brand. 🙁

Ive always had a love/dismay relationship with Marzocchi which is better than a meh relationship with Rockshox or ‘ok’ with Fox.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Mad how no one stepped forward to buy the brand.

I could almost see one of the other fork manufacturers buying the brand and using it for their higher end forks, Suntour or the like, but that wouldn’t mean the quality would continue to be the same.

kimbers

I’m buying a euromillions ticket on Friday, wonder how much Marzocchi would sell for?

bigrich

I’m buying a euromillions ticket on Friday, wonder how much Marzocchi would sell for?

I bet it’s become a hollowed out shell of a company, with a few dedicated passionate engineers overworked and stressed. The decision to move away from skilled but highly paid workers to far East manufacturing killed them.

many far east manufacturers are excellent, but just as many can be as shit as anyone, especially in transition.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I love my bommers on my old Merlin, might keep an eye out for some good deals on some marzocchi 29er forks.

robowns
    Free Member

Company has been on the ropes for some time; haven’t competed properly (sales wise) in years – not suprised.

seadog101

Z4 Flylight Air forks, bought in 2000, still working today. :-O

They’ve done a great job while being cheap, light and most importantly simple. Nothing to adjust but the air pressure (and if you really felt the need – oil weight). My Favourite bit of kit, even if there is fancier and better performing kit available today.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Very sad. I’ve just had my 350CRs back from warranty, happily. They are absolutely excellent.

🙁

psycorp
    Free Member

Shame. Never good to see a company go under, especially when it brings good products, competition and choice to an industry.

ferrals
    Free Member

Sad news – I will be keeping an eye out for discounted marzocchi forks though!

nixie

Comments on PB and twitter suggest otherwise for the MTB side

https://twitter.com/marzocchisusp

bigjim

yeah MTB still going

Must be annoying for them with everyone saying they are done for!

nixie

Would be an interesting purchase for shimano. That would give the buy incentive to oems as it could all be part of their component package from shimano.

kcal

Oh, does that mean my two pairs of 2002 Bombers will be valuable? 🙂

Notter
    Free Member

I still have a set of MX Comp Airs which are actually in decent nick still! Brilliant budget forks for their time, shame that the business has been mishandled for so long and hope they can be resurrected with some proper backing sometime.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Would be an interesting purchase for shimano. That would give the buy incentive to oems as it could all be part of their component package from shimano.

Unlikely as they work closely with Fox- your choice seems to be Fox/Shimano or full Sram. Marzocchi and Manitou seem to flit around the edges and seem to be used when brands want to hit a pricepoint with a particular groupset/spec and don’t have budget left for a Fox/Rockshox fork- Saracen seem to be doing this next year.

hora
    Free Member

I hope that they come through this. Some people might say ‘DVO’ etc but Marzocchi’s were the one product that when I opened up the box/held the fork I always thought ‘very nice, I like’. Theres just ‘something’ about the way they look that excites(?)

thepodge
    Free Member

Whoever issued that press release wants shooting if the MTB side is continuing

chrishc777
    Free Member

Probably a good place to ask: anyone else have issues with the axle on their 350s? Mine has the tiniest amount of play at the wheel no matter how tight I do it up

soobalias
    Free Member

see its not just the end user being hit by:
    three headtube/steerer standards 1&1/8″, tapered, 1.5″
    three axle options 9mm, 15mm, 20mm(four if you count the 25mm through axle that spesh played with)
    three wheel sizes 26″, 650b, 29″

thats nine versions of each fork – fer forks sake.
    nobody singing the praises of their rear shocks tho?

thepodge
    Free Member

Utter rubbish if you thing “standards” are partially to blame

1-1/8, 1.5, 9mm, 20mm & 26 are all pretty much dead so that’s only 2 versions of each fork.

Both RS & Fox have almost 4 kinds of each fork just accounting for damper options

If a struggling company cant fine tune its product range then they have far bigger problems than “standards”

ratherbeintobago

I could almost see one of the other fork manufacturers buying the brand and using it for their higher end forks, Suntour or the like, but that wouldn’t mean the quality would continue to be the same.

Don’t Suntour own DVO?

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought they’d been struggling with QC after Suntour dropped out of manufacturing for them?

Hope they are the buyer and they decide to reinstate the RC3 ti series in modern wheel sizes.

ryan91
    Free Member

Shame, my first serious bike had Z1’s and a set of 888’s on it and they looked like the quality was on another level to my subsequent Rockshox and X-Fusion forks. I even had Marzocchi forks on my first moped !
    Good luck to the employees getting new jobs.

hora
    Free Member

Dammit podge leave 26 alone 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m testing the 29er waters now that the sh market is down to my budget

There must be a market for Mazz otherwise how would DT, Magura, x fusion, Manitou, Suntour, bionicon , Cannondale, formula / white bros, cane creek, dvo and now Ohlins manage, it’s not ALL rs & fox

hora
    Free Member

Good point, also maybe it was part Tenneco debt-loading to off load debt off part of their balance sheet?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s right Podge; Marzocchi have always struggled to get their forks onto manufacturer’s new bikes, so most of their sales are likely to be people wanting new forks for a bike they already have. Which is more likely to be 26″ and 20mm than any of the other industry bullshit options.

thepodge
    Free Member

Even if that was true outside the self important self persecution of internet bike forums the other point still stands, how do all those others manage to stay in the game

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Marzocchi have always struggled to get their forks onto manufacturer’s new bikes, so most of their sales are likely to be people wanting new forks for a bike they already have. Which is more likely to be 26″ and 20mm than any of the other industry bullshit options.

I doubt that’s the case, even for Marzocchi OEM is probably their biggest market, probably followed by individual buyers building new bikes.

Upgrades relies on people riding 3+ year old bikes, and at that point wanting to plough money into them. Outside of STW martyrdom 26″ bikes with QR’s are ridden by those people who aren’t looking to spend £600 on suspension forks.

hora
    Free Member

The modern mountain bikeworld (cough) cudtomers are fashion-led. Just look at the uptake on Pikes for instance. Its a good fork but is it all-dominating performancewise? People buy into what journalists say. When did you last hear a Marzocchi shouted about?

thepodge
    Free Member

Exactly what tinas said.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘The end for Marzocchi’ is closed to new replies.