• This topic has 103 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • The "Edinburgh Defence"
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Couldn’t help a nostalgic grin as I read this article, at the use of the ‘Edinburgh Defence’ towards the end: “it was all meant as a joke”.

Wonder how the old chap is doing these days?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What a crap thread.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only joking.

somafunk

I imagine he’s doing just fine, I’d rather take 100’s of T-J’s than put up with some of the other ignorant **** who have filled the void on the forum.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like you somafunk?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only joking somafunk.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Lolz at DD

Tom-B
    Free Member

Only joking DD.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You know how I insinuated you were a gobshite on the rugby thread Tom B?

I was only joking.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I personally think it was just another way that the forum and the mods let the bullies bully him.
    It was done to mock him

He was many things but he was sincere and he brought something to the table.

he is doing fine
    Not joking on either point.

somafunk

Damn it….DD has outed me – you arguing eh?…….. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, come on if you think you’re **** hard enough. 😮

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only joking.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’d echo the points already made; TJ is an all round good fella. Baiting him became an ugly ‘sport’…

sc-xc

Baiting him became an ugly ‘sport’…

There are some masters on here.

jodafett

This is no joke!

nickc

As TJ pointed out himself on many an occasion, he wouldn’t, or couldn’t “let it lie”

Yes he was baited on occasion, but no more than any other ‘big hitters’ on here who set themselves up for it. He’s a adult and he knew what he was doing.

being opinionated doesn’t get you banned

Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed it is having the wrong opinion

somafunk

Humph!….well that fizzled out rather quickly didn’t it?, i was all set up for a proper rumble but i just can’t be arsed anymore….ho-hum.

Junkyard
    Free Member

only joking

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’re joking aren’t you? 😯

yunki
    Free Member

I thought the bullying of TJ was great..

It made it really easy to spot the messed up, spiteful and vindictive little herberts of the forum that would clamour together in a baying pack, wagging their tales furiously and crawling over one another to lick each others balls

Pigface
    Free Member

Disagree TJ was bullied badly and the main culprit IMO is still here yeah tha would be you Al.

showerman
    Free Member

yunki now im trying to picture that in my head and i now cannot sleep. i always slope off when things get tasty never having a proper education i normally say fxxkxxt and walk off but TJ would stay there till the end death by honour and all that.

anagallis_arvensis

I liked TJ. Being able to be so unremittingly positive about Scottish rugby was amazing to me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he was recently banned from a rugby forum for arguing 8)

he cannot help himself and he knows it but folk did goad him

Junkyard
    Free Member

That was the sort of bullying he got

Well played

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

/prune

MrSmith
    Free Member

Do adults really take the Internet and what random strangers who have a different opinion say on it that seriously? To the extent that they are being bullied? I can understand the weak minded taking things to heart or the vulnerable and needy perhaps being offended by bad language/sexism/racism but for somebody to actually get wound up that it actually affects their day to day lives? 😯

I did have an now banned STW member mail me once as he took umbrage at something I posted (didn’t read it just junked it) I guess this Internet lark is serious bizness

Jamie
    Free Member

So now it looks like junkyard is having a go at himself.

Noice.

Northwind

MrSmith – Member

Do adults really take the Internet and what random strangers who have a different opinion say on it that seriously? To the extent that they are being bullied?

Well yes. Because, you know, the internet is full of real people. Not susprisingly, the people who’re the biggest **** on the internet are also the people who’re best at forgetting they’re dealing with real people.

AdamW
    Free Member

I received a few messages from TJ a while ago. He’s seems a decent bloke but he let the bullies goad him; he has strong views (which I admit I generally share).

I personally think the use of the phrase “the Edinburgh defence” is somewhat cowardly now as you’re taking a pop at someone who cannot defend themselves. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

I guess this Internet lark is serious bizness

I hear some bother to type outrageous shit they dont believe in order to get reactions from strangers. Apparently they feign disinterest as well. Tragic eh.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yeah it noticed that, they tend to infer that the ‘abuser’ doesn’t have an active life beyond the keyboard or is not what they say they are. I guess that is pretty tragic.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have always thought that those who use therm “Edinburgh Defence” misunderstood TJ.

TJ enjoyed humour, he just wasn’t particularly good at it, and because he was often rather serious when discussing issues close to his heart people often misunderstood him to be serious when he was actually joking.

I recall occasions when it was clear to me that TJ was only joking but many took him as being serious. Unfortunately TJ usually reacted by pointing out that he had been joking, something which I personally would only do in extreme circumstance – it amusing me greatly when people assume I’m being serious, and more so the more ridiculous it is.

TJ’s unfortunate need to explain his own jokes and that he was joking was interpreted by many as him back-tracking and making false claims.

He never appreciated that taking the piss works best when people take you seriously.

scotroutes

The irony is that his “fall out” with cynic-al was because he couldn’t recognise this same behaviour in others. 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

He was many things but he was sincere and he brought something to the table

Principled and articulate whether you agreed with him or not, STW is the worse for his absence.

scotroutes

Our loss is his gain

colonelwax
    Free Member

Don’t agree Onion/druidh, Al was a dick. Not any more, but he definitely came across like that in the Aziz/fred/elfin days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only Joking 🙂

Just another way of trying to haul your way out of the hole you are digging by continuing to argue for no real good reason.

As always the friends of TJ/ain’t in crap in here now lot have turned up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘The "Edinburgh Defence"’ is closed to new replies.